PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake help needed

mike18421
10-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Well today I put new brake pads on the rear. It was very tight putting the caliper back on but I got it. Now the quad won't roll free. I have the parking brake adjusted so it's not functional and I've even tried bleeding the brakes and still it's tight. Anything else I should try? Maybe the pads I got are to thick? They are DP sintered pads. I do plan on buying the parking block off plate.

rubbersdown
10-28-2010, 11:23 AM
did you push the piston all the way back in before you put the pads in the caliper?

mike18421
10-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Yep pushed it all the way back in.

rubbersdown
10-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mike18421
Yep pushed it all the way back in.
well If you put it back together and hit the break, and the piston went out putting the brakes on but now the piston is not retracting and staying locked onto the rotor then it means that your piston seals are bad and need to be replaced. Got to take your caliper off, take your pads out, take the brake line off, take the bleeder valve off and SLOWLY shoot some compressed air into the bleeder valve hole WHILE you have your hand on the piston and it will shoot the piston out of the caliper and into your hand. Clean the piston real good and look inside your caliper, there will be 2 seals in there circling the piston hole that the piston slides threw, those need to be replaced. they are only like $6.00 for the both of them from your dealer.

brokenmike
10-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I had that problem before. The pads are too thick. I just used a disc sander and sanded some pad away. Don't breathe the dust!!!!

dalejiw25
10-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
well If you put it back together and hit the break, and the piston went out putting the brakes on but now the piston is not retracting and staying locked onto the rotor then it means that your piston seals are bad and need to be replaced. Got to take your caliper off, take your pads out, take the brake line off, take the bleeder valve off and SLOWLY shoot some compressed air into the bleeder valve hole WHILE you have your hand on the piston and it will shoot the piston out of the caliper and into your hand. Clean the piston real good and look inside your caliper, there will be 2 seals in there circling the piston hole that the piston slides threw, those need to be replaced. they are only like $6.00 for the both of them from your dealer.
While your in there get the little O-Ring that goes in the bottom of the caliper where the piston rod goes through the caliper. Well worth another $2.

mike18421
10-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Well I just pushed the piston all the way back in again and the quad rolled free. But the instant I push on the brake lever and let up it won't roll free again. Must be the seals. Thanks for the help!