PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Engagement/Feel?

CJM
10-27-2010, 09:10 AM
This may sound stupid, but I noticed something the other day when i rode a friends 450R and awhile back when i rode other peoples 400s:

My shifter has very positive engagement. What I mean is it takes some effort to shift it and you def know your locked into a gear. It shifts fine into all gears, no slipping of the clutch or anything like that tho.

Also like every other 400/450r I have been around or rode Neutral once the quads warmed up is sometimes tough to engage (could just be my boots or me tho).

Just seems odd b/c the 450R I rode on sunday def was easier to engage every gear-it is brand new and stock tho.

When I had my clutch apart it all looked fine, I have no idea if anyone was in there before me and changed anything out-basket, springs, etc seemed stock. Imusing mobil 1 15w-50 and it wasnt cold the other day (about 70F), its not getting to hot b/c I had my spal fan running almost the entire time too.

So am I nuts or what?

rubbersdown
10-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Could have a slightly bent shift fork making the engagement a little tough.

CJM
10-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
Could have a slightly bent shift fork making the engagement a little tough.
Thats what I am guessing, it doesnt effect ridability at all really so I dont think Ill worry about it.

Just wanted to make sure I wasnt nuts and it was normal.

mjc400ex
10-27-2010, 11:07 AM
My 400ex has a very noticeable shift engagement too. I love it. I rode my buddies yz426f the other day (very slowly, I'm not used to bikes) but the shifter moved a very small amount and it was tough to tell if I had shifted or not. His warrior was like that too so it could just be a Yamaha thing.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your clutch if there is a solid positive engagement. I can definitely feel on mine when I go through neutral to get to 2nd or 1st.

CJM
10-27-2010, 11:10 AM
^ Could be, could be slightly bent shift forks, could be the oil I use (although fresh change the day before the ride).

Really I tend to like it too b/c I am used to driving stick shifts and absolutely hate when it engages softly. You know your in gear period the way it is now.

riotact
10-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Mine is the same way,but I the only problem I have is trying to find neutral.Your either in 1st or 2nd and have to play with the clutch and rock the bike a bit to find it.It seems to be getting worse with every ride but I dont want to tare into the transmission untill I do the engine.

CJM
10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
The neutral thing I find sometimes does it, sometimes doesnt-it doesnt happen all the time.

I have heard that its the oil possibly, not sure.

riotact
10-27-2010, 01:50 PM
It does it with new or used oil so I dont know.I'm just gonna run it until it doesnt work.I really want to get my suspension done this winter and motor next winter.

99400esex
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Mine does the same thing too man, but I dont mind it at all.

CJM
10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by riotact
It does it with new or used oil so I dont know.I'm just gonna run it until it doesnt work.I really want to get my suspension done this winter and motor next winter.

Im working on getting the suspension set, might do a 450R carb too.

Glad to hear Im not the only one whose shifter feels like that.

Rkangel7
10-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah, it sounds about like mine. Probably nothing to worry about.

Whereas I've ridden three different friend's KTM powered machines (2 outlaws and 1 KTM450) and each shifted differently from the other. One outlaw shifted like my 400, the other took a lot more effort and neutral was impossible to find, and the KTM shifted so smooth and cleanly it was freaky.

Hours may have something to do with it, so could oil, break-in, and variations in manufacturing. Even between similar motors shifting can feel different from quad to quad.

bherriman
10-27-2010, 09:32 PM
I do think the feeling is normal as mine feels similar to yours and everyone elses on here, however, I wouldn't try and compare the 400ex to other bikes. I had a crf250r dirtbike and they have straight cut gears in them so basically you never let off to shift, or use the clutch. Just keep her pinned and shift up and it slides right in. I am not 100% sure but I do not think the 4 hundo has straight cut gears and some of the other bikes you guys are comparing to might have them. The diference of the "grind" so to speak on the gears would totally change engagement feeling.