PDA

View Full Version : I need to vent

dns1764
10-27-2010, 05:33 AM
My good friend alex is trying to upgrade his tj wrangler. I love projects like this, and am trying to help the kid whenever and wherever I can. He wants to build an ultimate trail rig, yet at the same time, he doesn't want to spend a dime on it. And its not like he is making the parts himself (I'm surprised he owns a ratchet set).

He is also doing everything backwards!

When he first got the jeep, he bought 32"s and a 2" spacer lift. Of course he spent the money getting it installed instead of taking a few hours and doing it in the driveway. But when he did that, he bought 4 tires, and kept the stock donut on the back!

A few months later he brought it back to the shop to have them put on front and rear bumpers and a spare tire carrier. I told him to buy the matching rock sliders when it was there (only $175 I think). But he didnt want to spend the money.

He went wheeling and when he got back, the rocker pannels were completely crushed in. I TOLD YOU SO!!

Fast forward about a year. He went to the jeep jamboree thing and spent a weekend wheeling in vt. He came back telling me about all these things he was going to do to it. He me a guy who fabs fenders for hardcore rock crawlers who's shop is almost 4 hours away. He was going to do the work. I told him to buy a bolt-on kit for a fraction of the price and spend the money on suspension parts. Nope. He trailered the thing 4 hours and spent around $1500 for steel fenderflares, new shock absorbers, and a swaybar disconnect. Also when it was up there he was going to have the thing painted black. But the painter went out of buisness and would cost another $500 to get done. So my buddy passed on painting it and he would go back later.

When the jeep got back it basically had a store bought set of flares with gummed up welds.

Fastforward to this past week. He came up to me telling me about the next plans for the jeep. New axles, lockers, rims, and tires and it would be $10,000. I suggested to do the suspension with a full 3" lift (max legal lift on it in MA)because he has no flex and upgrade the internal axle parts on the stockers. According to him he had a brand new suspension installed (shocks and sway bar disconnect) and has "tons" of flex :huh. I didn't think that was possible running stock control arms and stock springs.

It fustrates the hell out of me that he is dropping a ton of money into the thing and is spending it in all the wrong places.

TCracin440ex
10-27-2010, 06:08 AM
its his let him do it any way he wants. if he chooses to be a moron and let people swindle him then so be it.

you cant fix stupid...nuff said.

CJM
10-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
its his let him do it any way he wants. if he chooses to be a moron and let people swindle him then so be it.

you cant fix stupid...nuff said.

Yep, cant fix stupid. Hopefully he damages it so badly its not worth anything and has to start over-cause then he wont be out spending like mad..

Ruby Soho
10-27-2010, 09:08 AM
I've had friends like that, its not your problem so if you gave your advice, and he didn't take it than you shouldn't care

quad2xtreme
10-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I built my Jeep all up...it actually ruined the offroading experience for me. It was more fun and challenging when it was virtually stock.

TCracin440ex
10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
if the kid was half way smart hed buy a 6inch long arm kit for it and possiby a 3 inch body, hell you can clear 38s with just those mods.

Jim417mx
10-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Had a lifted cherokee like this in the shop the other day... kid had the thing lifted with big tires ...... looked nice.... except then when you inspect it you notice he didnt buy the extended brake lines to compesate for the lift (stretched to the max about to bust) ... the CB radio wire was duct taped to the inner fender well. He put his own shocks on... instead of putting the bushing against the body, and then the washer, he put the washer against the body (metal on metal serving the bushing no purpose)... he snapped a shock bolt then bent a shock bolt because it was too long and wouldnt fit in place of the snapped one.

so yea, some people can be plain stupid.

CJM
10-27-2010, 05:00 PM
^ I love seeing vehicles like that. Generally when I work on them I tell the people that this, this and that is gonna break or is already busted cause they didnt do it right-thus I make them fix it right.