PDA

View Full Version : riding montecello kentucky

kimblessitt
10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Anyone out there rode in the montecello ky area much I was their a couple months ago.We unloaded at sandclift and had a great ride went to preachers rock,pallmall,rode over into tennesee realy enjoyed riding seems to be alot of trails to ride.I would like to hearback from anyone with more info on this area.

smr
10-27-2010, 06:07 AM
never been there but I have heard about it.

Is it a legal riding area or just private land?

kimblessitt
10-27-2010, 07:36 AM
I was told the a large portion of the land was owned by a company out of state.We didnt see any posted signs and the trails were marked.When you get over into Tennesee the trails are very well maintaned the mountain tops are white sand and the curves are banked mud holes were drained.I was told we were in picket state park on the tenn side.

kimblessitt
10-28-2010, 06:24 PM
going back to montecillo saturday.cant wait we will be meeting at mcdonalds in munfordville at 5;30 saturday morning

CNC_guy
11-01-2010, 01:17 PM
The majority of the Kentucky side of this area is owned by Wayne Lumber and Cumberland Woodlands. The Tennessee side is part of Pickett State Forest.

Just like many other riding areas across the nation, the Kentucky side of this area could be closed at any time. These companies have closed areas in other parts of the state when riders have disrespected the land and trees.

I hope you have a great time down here, but treat the land with respect. I firmly believe this is some of the best riding in the Eastern US....I grew up riding this area and hope to keep riding it with my sons as they grow up.

pontiacgtp97
11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Was thinking about going to Brimstone on Black Friday, but may go here if is easy to find my way around. How are the trails? I've a few that race harescrambles, a couple of novice riders and a couple guys on RZRs.

smr
11-01-2010, 01:52 PM
any place to camp?

CNC_guy
11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
The trails have a little bit of everything from red clay, to rocky, sandy, muddy, fast, and technical. There are lots of confusing spider trails and it's easy to get turned around if you are not careful.

There really isn't anything close to the trails as far as camping. I wouldn't suggest riding here without someone in your group that has been here before. Yes, the trails are marked, but they were marked by a group of riders that use the markers for their own groups. There are no official maps.

The two lumber companies I mentioned are interested in leasing the riding area, but right now, there are no organizations that are willing to go out on a limb to lease it and run it like Brimstone or Black Mountain in Harlan County.

The following two sites have some great info on the area. Most on these sites call the area Pickett, but it's the same area that we are talking about. There are some great ride reports, pics and videos on these two sites.

Cumberland ATV Riders (http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/forum.htm)

East Tennessee Riders (http://tnriders.forumotion.com/forum.htm)

kimblessitt
11-01-2010, 06:54 PM
had a great outing I got to meet one of the land owners in the dry hollow area alot of the main trail trail #1 is old county road we parked at sandclift and went in on trail #3 it is a moderate trail didnt care much for parking on the road when we got back someone stole a set of ramps off our trailer.If anyone is interested in leasing this area please contact me.I know some people that would love to help out.this is one of the best trail systems that is within a 100 miles of central ky.

pontiacgtp97
11-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Where is the best place to park when coming from central Kentucky? We are going to ride Brimstone or Monticello area on Black Friday if anyone is interested.

kimblessitt
11-03-2010, 07:20 PM
we have been parking at the corner of 200 and lick creek road at Sand clift.But lock your stuff up we had a set of ramps jacked last saturday,the dry hollow bridge at the end of 1009 looks like a good place but I have only been to montecillo a few times I am trying to get all the info on the area i can.possible going back this saturday mabey see you,

CNC_guy
11-05-2010, 07:28 AM
The dry hollow area is the better place to park, but theft has happened there as well.

kimblessitt
11-05-2010, 12:03 PM
where do you park on dry hollow near 1009 or closer to the dry hollow church

CNC_guy
11-05-2010, 12:33 PM
^Check your private messages.

I would suggest parking closer to 1009 near the bridges. If you park and don't block anything, you should be fine. There is enough traffic on that road that your stuff should be safe. As you get farther down in dry hollow closer to the church, it's more secluded which allows more cover for thieves.