PDA

View Full Version : stage 2 hot cam question

Omoc
10-26-2010, 07:07 PM
i just bought my 400 and my brother has one. he said that if there is a ticking sound coming out of the motor the i need my valves adjusted. i also been told that the hotcam make a ticking noise. so im lost please help. the bike is running good, the previous owner said that there has been maybe 10 hours in the new motor but its ticking loud.?.?.?

honda400ex2003
10-26-2010, 07:15 PM
it is noticable but shouldnt be a distraction. if it is that loud it would be worth checking them anyway just to verify that they are ok. if he just rebuilt the engine and put the cam in there he probably did not adjust them after the initial break in of the cam thus making it tick a bit more than usual. good luck with it. steve

honda400ex2003
10-26-2010, 07:22 PM
.005" intake and .006 exhaust also are what it should be at for adjustment purposes. steve

CJM
10-26-2010, 07:25 PM
They all tick, its the way the hotcams are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWzNduEAk70

Take your front plastics off, remove the gastank, remove the heat shield and take the valve caps off and adjust the valves anyways to make sure. Its really simple. You need a 24mm socket, a 10mm wrench and a screwdriver.

This explains it in detail with pics: http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

killer454
10-26-2010, 07:28 PM
ticking noises in the upper part of the engine is caused by a loose timeing chain or valves need adjusted.

i just bought a 400ex to and after rebuilding the engine mine was ticking very bad to,i foundout that mine has a bad cam chain tensioner!so im putting in a new chain,chain guide,lower crank gear(it looked like it has sharp wornout teeth on it)and tensioner.

you need to adjust your valves first,this is the best place to start and the engine does not need to be running to do this.go to hotcams website and they have the right tolerances on the adjustment on your cam.

if your timeing chain is very loose you do not want to run this engine,it will cause alot of damage if it slips time.

400exshop
10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
nice job steve . if you don't fill you can do the jod take it to a shop. so that you don't mess the cam lob's up from being over tight.

killer454
10-26-2010, 07:32 PM
i posted my 400ex running after rebuild it has a hotcams stage 1,it is a heading on here marked (rebuild first startup video).
it on page 2 on this forum listen to my engine running i temparly fixed my chain tensioner for the startup,i have a hotcam to and mine does not tick listen to the video.

Omoc
10-27-2010, 10:22 AM
thanks everyone