PDA

View Full Version : another silly 400ex question... drive sprocket

rubbersdown
10-26-2010, 07:01 PM
the front drive sprocket, from the microfiche looks like its just a plate with 2 screws that holds the front sprocket on? theres gotta be a c clip or something to right? looks like the shaft is grooved for one but I dont see it on the micro... thanks yall. Sorry for the silly questions its just kind of a pain putting together a quad I didnt take apart and I have never worked on a 400ex before so I have to figure out how it goes together as I go along lol this should be it though, its 99.9% together now.

rinconrider
10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
theres a plate that goes on there that lines up only one way with the 2 screws. that plate goes in the groove and gets turned to match up with the 2 holes on the sprocket. it will only go one way and can be flipped around and make it seem like it is not correct but it is 180 degrees off at that point. the sprocket then comes out to meet the plate and is mounted in line correctly at that spot.

http://a.bikebandit.com/assets/dzimages/honda/dzhon008/hj590023_files/11/3_0.png

rubbersdown
10-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by rinconrider
theres a plate that goes on there that lines up only one way with the 2 screws. that plate goes in the groove and gets turned to match up with the 2 holes on the sprocket. it will only go one way and can be flipped around and make it seem like it is not correct but it is 180 degrees off at that point. the sprocket then comes out to meet the plate and is mounted in line correctly at that spot.

http://a.bikebandit.com/assets/dzimages/honda/dzhon008/hj590023_files/11/3_0.png

makes sense, just didnt know the plate fit in the groove and turned so I thought there was a c clip. I get it now though, thanks

honda400ex2003
10-26-2010, 07:28 PM
he is correct :D it fits in perfect and holds it tight. it doesnt seem like it without trying it though lol. steve

rubbersdown
10-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
he is correct :D it fits in perfect and holds it tight. it doesnt seem like it without trying it though lol. steve

haha yah thats why I asked. I have the little plate and everything but it just doesnt seem like it would do the trick but hey if it works it works. While we are on the subject. does the flat side of the sprocket face out or the side with hump face out? It does not say on the sprocket I have.

dalejiw25
10-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Flat side out. Hump side to the Engine.

quad2xtreme
10-27-2010, 08:21 AM
If you drop to a 12 or 13 tooth sprocket on the front then there is a c-clip that you can use instead of the stock setup with the 2 screw holes.

Rocky Mountain sells sprockets that come like this.