PDA

View Full Version : Thumb throttle

Deluzioned
10-26-2010, 12:04 PM
What is everyones experience with thumb throttle extensions, and the billet 1" extended throttles?

Being unable to use my thumb after a 4 hour ride is getting old. Not sure which to buy.

trailrider894
10-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Deluzioned
What is everyones experience with thumb throttle extensions, and the billet 1" extended throttles?

Being unable to use my thumb after a 4 hour ride is getting old. Not sure which to buy.

Your jello thumb issue, can be solved by riding more. You have to build muscle. lol the extensions make it more easy, but seem to create a stance for my hand that i really dis-like. I feel as if i am REAChing for the thumb throttle instead of it being right there. I never recommend twist throttles, but if its bothering you enough this might be an option.

Deluzioned
10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Your jello thumb issue, can be solved by riding more. You have to build muscle. lol the extensions make it more easy, but seem to create a stance for my hand that i really dis-like. I feel as if i am REAChing for the thumb throttle instead of it being right there. I never recommend twist throttles, but if its bothering you enough this might be an option.

No twist throttle. I was planning on buying a dual gasser because prior to sunday, my thumb only got sore while wide open on the fire roads. But this past sunday we rode a very rocky, and difficult trail, 37 miles. Spent most of the time in 1st and 2nd gear.

After leaving the trail and returning to the canyon where i could open it up finally. I found that i could not get the throttle wide open! So the dual gasser isn't going to really help. Was hoping an extension would.

Guess ill save the $45 and just get my thumb in shape

99RED4X4
10-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Yea I had a twist on my 400 for awhile. I bought it with one.

I was dangerous!!! I tried to like it for awhile since it was already on there, but you find yourself punching it when you don't want to!!!

A few weeks riding with a twist was enough for me to never want one again!!

Scro
10-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Buy an ice cream scoop with the thumb lever, and use it whenever you can in your spare time. It mimicks the throttle movement perfectly. I suggest one made from stainless steel. The plastic break to easily.

A 90ex thumb lever is about 1/2" longer, and is a directly replacement for the 400 lever. It fits the same in the throttle housing. Also, make sure your cable is lubed well.

slightlybent47
10-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Here is a tip that may help. I found that if I rotate the thumb throttle down just a little bit the thumb cramps go away. Now for the racer it makes it harder to get the throttle wide open but if you are just ridding around it works great.
I have my clamp just loose enough to rotate it back and forth so I can adjust it on the fly. I have it tight enough so that it takes both hands to rotate it, that way it stays put till I want to move it.

Try it and I’ll bet the cramps go away.

rubbersdown
10-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by 99RED4X4
Yea I had a twist on my 400 for awhile. I bought it with one.

I was dangerous!!! I tried to like it for awhile since it was already on there, but you find yourself punching it when you don't want to!!!

A few weeks riding with a twist was enough for me to never want one again!!

Funny how that goes. I ride pretty much only 2 wheels nowadays and I almost never throttle lock even in very harry situations. BUT I had a 250r a little while back that came with a twist throttle and for some reason I couldn't ride it to save my life! lol. Constant accidental throttle and throttle lock.