PDA

View Full Version : Banshee vs. 400ex

99RED4X4
10-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Alright, so I had the 400ex and really liked the bike. It was getting to the point where I was having to beat the 400 hard for my riding style (MX, Hills, Fast Trail Riding) and my friends on 450's. I don't like pushing a bike beyond its limits.

Back in the day I had a banshee, and I always wanted another.. So I did just that. I bought a 2000 Yamaha Banshee totally stock with the exception of FMF Gnarly Pipes.

Comparison between Banshee and 400ex:

400 is very easy to wheelie on, banshee takes lots of clutch work and skill.

Banshee has no torque (obviously), 400 has lots.

Surprisingly, I think the banshee Jumps WAAYY better than the 400. My 400 had a PEP redone rear shock, and works triple rate front shocks that we' all freshly rebuilt along with ALL bushings/bearings. When I would over shoot a jump the 400 would land hard and sometimes bottom out the shocks. The banshee LOVES to jump! I overshot a jump by 10-ft (so my observer says) and it was beautifully smooth. All of the shocks are stock, and the front a-arm bearings are shot!

While in the air, it seems like the 400 likes to lean forward, while the banshee likes to lean backword. I think this is due to the steel swingarm vs. aluminum swingarm.

After a long day of riding, the banshee beats the F**K out of you!!!! The sorest I've ever been. Mostly from just hanging on!!

The 400 is definitely a more comfortable bike to ride.

The banshee's seat tear's your inner legs up!!

Banshee headlights are brighter than the 400's.

I shouldn't need to talk about speed, we all know the banshee is a lot faster.

This is just my comparison, some people may disagree.

2muchquad
11-13-2010, 03:58 AM
its true,a 400ex is the better trail bike but a banshee is funner imo.Its like an assault on the senses,nothing beats the 2 stroke twin.Not the best handling but its prolly the best hillclimber :D

profab250R
01-16-2011, 11:01 PM
I am surprised with the comments about jumping. When jumping the father inlaws banshees they tend to dip the nose in the air, as to where my 250r (closer to 400ex geometry) seems to stay fairly level during jumps. But that may just be because you are over compensating on the banshee because it is a heavier quad. the banshee is however, liek a cadilac as far as soaking up bumps.

2muchquad
01-17-2011, 07:12 AM
i think also that a rider may be trying to compensate for the hit of the banshee thats why they would have the tendency to let off prior nto launch.Unless your the kangaroo kid,nobody jumps a banshee with a handful of throttle:D

Hondamaster5505
01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
With banshee's, you really have to blip the throttle right on the lip and then it flies smooth.

Too far into powerband, you'll pick the nose up. No throttle, the heavy front end will nosedive.

Once you get used to it, its good.