PDA

View Full Version : 250cc Quad good for 9 year old

337450r
10-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Was advised when asking what kind of quad to get my 9yr old son to get a honda 250ex , suzuki250 etc , do you guys think this is to big?

250ex_dan
10-26-2010, 08:57 AM
depends on height,physical ability to manuver the quad,maturity and mental maturity.

Full Throttle00
10-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Depends what type of riding he does.
Most stock 250's are very narrow, heavy, stiff suspension is designed for adults, not to mention poor performance. (Honda 250EX @ 11.9hp)
There are a few quads more suitable for a 9 year old with
better suspension & power that surpasses most 250's that are 1/2 the cc engine displacement with same or more HP, wider, lighter weight, adjustable soft suspension, and faster.

337450r
10-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Full Throttle00
Depends what type of riding he does.
Most stock 250's are very narrow, heavy, stiff suspension is designed for adults, not to mention poor performance. (Honda 250EX @ 11.9hp)
There are a few quads more suitable for a 9 year old with
better suspension & power that surpasses most 250's that are 1/2 the cc engine displacement with same or more HP, wider, lighter weight, adjustable soft suspension, and faster.
What other 1s would you recommend? Honestly speed is not my concern , what is , stability and ease of riding

HondaRacing83
10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
stability,raptor 250.that is very fast tho.and has a clutch.i suggest getting him the new raptor 125

300ex&RZR
10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
I got my 300ex when I was 8, but I had a dirtbike and a 250x before it, so the ckutch was easy for me. If you are considering a honda 250ex just go ahead and get a 300ex because he will probaly outgrow it or will want something else soon.

Full Throttle00
10-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by 337450r
What other 1s would you recommend? Honestly speed is not my concern , what is , stability and ease of riding

PITSTER

700xxmaniac
11-21-2010, 12:07 AM
well i got a 01 recon 250 (aka 250ex with racks and diff plastics) when i was 5... its top speed with stock tires is about 48ish.. when i put 22'' rears on it i got a gps of 55... and it has the torque to go faster... yeah it only has 15hp but hp isnt important...
plus there bulit proof.. my recon has over 2500 hours on it and it still starts and runs like new and ive never bin in the engine just adjusted the valves. ull never see a raptor 250 or z250 or ds 250 last 1000hr... also the 250ex is really a 250 its a 229...

i think the sport clutch would be great for learnin...

btw i rode my lil cusins raptor250 and i busted the rear shock mount right off after going off a small 2 ft ramp.... and im 145lb... thats a yamaha for u

now im 16 and i have a trx700xx.... but thats a lil fast (83mph) for a 9yr old

sloan353
11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
I would say Yamaha Raptor 125...
that would fit him well and a good learning bike until he is 11-12 years old

zach R 7x
11-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Full Throttle00
PITSTER

Like fullthrottle said........ check out the Pister, my son is 12 and we just got a 125fxr . Imo the best bang for the buck especially for trail riding. Motor up grades are cheap and it comes with nerfs, anti vibe step , fully adj shocks, tether, alumn. wheels, etc... check it out.

dman66
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I have a Kawasaski bayou 220 for my 11 and 9 year old kids. I also love this quad. I'ts a great starter for the kids. No clutch, but have to foot shift to change gears. The downfall is the 220 Bayou has drum breaks and poor suspension, but is a reliable quad.

mxdad423
12-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by 700xxmaniac

btw i rode my lil cusins raptor250 and i busted the rear shock mount right off after going off a small 2 ft ramp.... and im 145lb... thats a yamaha for u

WOW, now that sounds like a bunch of crap.......Does this look higher than 2ft? Honda guys never do like Yamaha's, lets not get me started on the Honda OUTDATED JUNK.....

raidernut
12-14-2010, 09:29 PM
NICE!!!!

700xxmaniac
12-16-2010, 10:37 PM
well im just sayin it happend to me... it was more than likey a factory default but ive read on this form that ppl have had probbles with the rear shock mount... u dont hear bout honda's frame fallin apart... ever the raptor 700 has had some problems with the sub frame crackin, and whats outdated maby the 400ex. but the trx450r is still winnin races all over the place. the 300ex is more advance than the raptor 250 and 350... honda hade a 250 4 stroke back in the 90s.. look it up.. and that hade a for advance engine then old the tt-r 230 engine that used in the raptor 250. they just put i factory bore kit in it.. and the raptor 125 is a raptor 250 frame witha tt-r125 slaped in it...

and i never said i dont like yamaha... the big bear is amazin and the bashee are orgasmic when built up. and i usta ride my feirnds 700r all the time be4 i got my 700xx

mxdad423
12-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Ok as far as the Honda's not have frame troubles, we went through this on another thread last year.....The honda's have their share of frame issues also, and if somebody has one that doesn't, then it's not being rode hard. I have a very close friend of mine that races with us every week, his son rides a 300ex, this is his third year coming up on it and he just purchased his 3rd frame. Like I said in the earlier thread, if you are racing, I don't care what you have, Honda, Yamaha, Kawi, Suzuki, they are all going to break if they are being pounded. We added Texeria's gusset kit to are Raptor and have a full Race season on it, I just tore it down last week and checked it out, not one break or crack, but thats where the gusseting comes in, if we wouldn't of gusseted it, I'm sure we would of had issues, just like the others.
I'm not even a big Yamaha fan, but I am very satisfied with the 250, and I think real soon you will see the 250 make big progress in the racing market, they are already getting real close in HP with the 300ex, and for the extra 1 or 2 HP they can get with the 300ex, with the right rider 1 or 2 HP don't mean anything. You have to remeber the 300ex has been out since what 1993, that has been a long time for engine R&D, the little 250 has only been out since 2008.
As far as the 125, I think it is going to make a huge impact in the racing industry. I just aplod Yamaha for trying to move ahead a little, when is the last time Honda came out with a new quad for the racing industry, that would of been the 450, and thats been a long time, and its not just Honda, nothing from Kawi or Suzuki either. They just don't seem to worry bout any of the little guys and gals. Right now Yamaha seems to be the only ones trying to move ahead and trying to keep a little focus on the quads, all the others don't seem to care about the quad industry, and again, I am a Suzuki guy, but they are dropping the ball also, just like Honda and Kawi. When is the last time Honda, Suzuki, or Kawi came out with a youth model quad, 90, 125, 250, or 300? Nuff Said......
I was not bashing you in any way, I hope you didn't take it that way, I was just trying to say, that any quad that is rode hard will break, and that is a fact.

Keivn Smitley

mxdad423
12-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
NICE!!!!

Thank you, Brandon adapted to the clutching and shifting thing alot faster than I thought, truth me known, I was really worried if he would catch on or not, but boy did he make me feel like an idiot, he does that alot, LOL.......I just can't wait to see what he can do with a built motor next year...

Kevin Smitley

700xxmaniac
12-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by mxdad423
Ok as far as the Honda's not have frame troubles, we went through this on another thread last year.....The honda's have their share of frame issues also, and if somebody has one that doesn't, then it's not being rode hard. I have a very close friend of mine that races with us every week, his son rides a 300ex, this is his third year coming up on it and he just purchased his 3rd frame. Like I said in the earlier thread, if you are racing, I don't care what you have, Honda, Yamaha, Kawi, Suzuki, they are all going to break if they are being pounded. We added Texeria's gusset kit to are Raptor and have a full Race season on it, I just tore it down last week and checked it out, not one break or crack, but thats where the gusseting comes in, if we wouldn't of gusseted it, I'm sure we would of had issues, just like the others.
I'm not even a big Yamaha fan, but I am very satisfied with the 250, and I think real soon you will see the 250 make big progress in the racing market, they are already getting real close in HP with the 300ex, and for the extra 1 or 2 HP they can get with the 300ex, with the right rider 1 or 2 HP don't mean anything. You have to remeber the 300ex has been out since what 1993, that has been a long time for engine R&D, the little 250 has only been out since 2008.
As far as the 125, I think it is going to make a huge impact in the racing industry. I just aplod Yamaha for trying to move ahead a little, when is the last time Honda came out with a new quad for the racing industry, that would of been the 450, and thats been a long time, and its not just Honda, nothing from Kawi or Suzuki either. They just don't seem to worry bout any of the little guys and gals. Right now Yamaha seems to be the only ones trying to move ahead and trying to keep a little focus on the quads, all the others don't seem to care about the quad industry, and again, I am a Suzuki guy, but they are dropping the ball also, just like Honda and Kawi. When is the last time Honda, Suzuki, or Kawi came out with a youth model quad, 90, 125, 250, or 300? Nuff Said......
I was not bashing you in any way, I hope you didn't take it that way, I was just trying to say, that any quad that is rode hard will break, and that is a fact.

Keivn Smitley

the last quad haonda came out with for racein is the 700xx im 08... even since then its won ever baja race and its bin dominatin in many other desert races. i did lost the last baja 100 caus eit histon clutch fail setting them back 1hr.. and the lost by 14min... and yes ik any quad that raced will have fram failer, but what i meant is on just joy riden witch is what happen to my cuz's 250.... im shoure yamaha has fixed what ever happen that caused this sorta failer...

05/450r/10
01-16-2011, 09:49 AM
when i was 11 or 12 i rode a 400ex and now i 14 riding a trx 450

337450r
01-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by 700xxmaniac
the last quad haonda came out with for racein is the 700xx im 08... even since then its won ever baja race and its bin dominatin in many other desert races. i did lost the last baja 100 caus eit histon clutch fail setting them back 1hr.. and the lost by 14min... and yes ik any quad that raced will have fram failer, but what i meant is on just joy riden witch is what happen to my cuz's 250.... im shoure yamaha has fixed what ever happen that caused this sorta failer...

THE ONLY reason the 700xx has won anything is because it is supported by honda and a ton of $$$$ has been thrown into it period ,and it is no form other than plastics a stock 700xx or anywhere near it , if you think your honda 700xx in stock form is going to win any races your nuts , that bike was hondas worse failure ever in atv market, period. If I was in a market for big bore IRS it would be the outlaw hands down , better motor , better handleing , better suspension , better looks

01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I would say Pister there REALLY easy to work on or the new raptor 125. Most the people that posted seemed like trolls but the raptor 125 or Pistor would be what i would buy

01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I would say Pister there REALLY easy to work on or the new raptor 125. Most the people that posted seemed like trolls but the raptor 125 or Pistor would be what i would buy

400grl
02-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I have to call BS on whoever said the Honda 300 was more up to date than the Raptor 250?? Seriously?? LOL! :rolleyes:

700xxmaniac
02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
well it has a link rear end (all 450's and the 700r has it) and a 4 valve head... and the engine is a newer desing engine the the raptor's... pluse it has revers

the only thing thats new on the 250 is the frame...the engine is from the mid 80's and the rear end is from the early 80's

700xxmaniac
02-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 337450r
THE ONLY reason the 700xx has won anything is because it is supported by honda and a ton of $$$$ has been thrown into it period ,and it is no form other than plastics a stock 700xx or anywhere near it , if you think your honda 700xx in stock form is going to win any races your nuts , that bike was hondas worse failure ever in atv market, period. If I was in a market for big bore IRS it would be the outlaw hands down , better motor , better handleing , better suspension , better looks

honda did not suport the baja tream this year. the rear end i stock and it has a ported head, piston and a cam... and the outlaw dose have better stock suspension but it still sucks just like ever other quad out there...and my feirnd got a xx after he bent the frame on his outlaw 500...
i won a county fair drag race and i was the only bone stock quad there, and i won 3 ama mx races in the amature open class... also i like the part there u dont **** up sprockets and brakes on rocky trails. also it smooth.. so sore body at the end of the day.. and i love that theres no arm pump...

RAWDAWG635
03-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Raptor 125 would be a good one, i got one for my(short) 10 year old and he loves it.