PDA

View Full Version : Help with broken switch inside Polaris Predator 50 throttle, can it be deleted?

JM317
10-25-2010, 08:11 PM
My son has an 04 Predator 50 and the switch inside the throttle housing that changes the ignition is broken. Can the ignition be wired to not use this switch or will it need to be replaced? I'm having trouble finding a replacement throttle assembly and would like to do away with the whole wiring problem if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EthansDad
10-25-2010, 08:32 PM
check this thread out. might be a bit different for your ride, but most of these mini 50s are about the same. yes is the answer, it can all be taken off and is a good idea for less stuff to break!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=450078

JM317
10-25-2010, 08:52 PM
So by doing this, does it also change something in the ignition to where it fires like it should at all different throttle positions? What I mean is when the quad is idling normally the throttle lever is in the resting position but when the lever is pushed and is moved off of the switch inside the throttle, the ignition curve changes and the motor revs faster. With the switch being broken right now, it only bogs when you press the throttle. Just want to make sure that the Polaris wiring might not be slightly different from the rest before I start cutting.

EthansDad
10-25-2010, 09:30 PM
ok, take back what I said. that is very different. sure it can be done, but I'd go find a wiring diagram for that bad boy before I started cutting. I don't think any switch on these mini's would change the ignition mapping??!

some had a user adjustable ignition for speed limiting the bike (cut the green wire on your CDI = go faster), but never seen one attached to the throttle with some sort of electrical switch that controlled ignition mapping. are you sure that is what the switch does?

I found the manual to your bike here. I don't see any part that looks like a electrical switch on the throttle assembly.

pi54.com/corp/manuals/Parts/9918787.pdf

JM317
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah it's definitely connected to the ignition, if you unplug the switch from the harness and jump a wire between the two prongs on the harness side of the plug, it fires like it should when you would be on the gas and riding, but it won't idle down like it does when the throttle is in the resting position. When you jump a wire like I described, it revs the motor up enough that it wants to take off no matter what position the throttle is in. I wonder if I could just use a cdi off of another mini and delete all the stuff from the harness?

weldr383
10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
is there a grey wire coming out of the cdi?if yes unplug it and see if it runs ok.

JM317
10-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I'll check and see, what does the grey wire do?

BradLoomis
10-28-2010, 11:30 AM
The switch is at the backside of the throttle assembly and is designed to cut the ignition down to limit the speed of the motor incase the throttle sticks. When you try and rev it up with this disconnected, the motor will bog because you have to much fuel and not enough spark to burn the mixture. If you make a jumper wire and connect the two wires together, it will bypass this safety switch and the motor will run normal. If I had to guess as to why it is reving up once you make the jumper, it is because you have your idle set to high on your carburator.