PDA

View Full Version : axle bearings

mxpimp2000
10-25-2010, 06:07 PM
is there any way to get these out of a carrier without damage? I want to remove them from my 06 yfz and clean the carrier and save the bearings. Reason for this is they were exposed to water and over time they will go out if i dont re pack with grease and replace seals.

fmftrx300ex
10-25-2010, 06:45 PM
nope dont be cheap replace ur bearings because if your seals go soon enough ur bearings will quit too its a sure thing just make th initial investment and save on another set of sealls + bearings

eastside 400
10-25-2010, 06:48 PM
yea i wouldnt re-use the bearings, its cheap insurance to replace them because if they blow out, you WILL be buying a new carrier. best way to get them out ive found is to use an old toaster over(not a microwave). take the seals out first then throw in it for a while, then use gloves to take it out and hit it against the ground open side down on both sides, bearings should just fall out, then the new bearings will slide in without a press, use a socket under the carrier to hold the bottom bearing in and let it sit standing up while it cools down

mxpimp2000
10-25-2010, 06:55 PM
ok so how long and what temp do i put it in the oven for

eastside 400
10-26-2010, 04:10 PM
just make it hot. it isnt a science