PDA

View Full Version : timming keys

luvmyex
02-08-2003, 06:02 PM
I raced a guy that has a timming key today and he pulled me on top end by about two bikes.I dont have the piston and cam on yet.but i do have everything alse listed below.His quad was stock other than the key.And he said he was up two on the counter sprocket and down one in the rear.Not sure if thats right cause ive never heard of a 17th ct sprocket.So does the timming key make that much of a differance?If so,are the hard to put in?And what is required to install one.Im putting in my piston and cam starting tommrow and wonder if i should add a key also.

Sparks425Ex
02-08-2003, 06:27 PM
It will deff give ya some help. It only 15 bucks. Might as well grab one.

luvmyex
02-08-2003, 07:26 PM
what all is involved with the install of it?

JOEX
02-08-2003, 08:34 PM
What size rear tires are you running?
A stock bike with just a timing key beating your set up doesn't sound right.
How close was the rest of the race? Rider wieght? Rider experience?

Joe

lilpoppy
02-09-2003, 09:52 AM
that probably had more to do with his gearing than the timing key. They are kind of a pain in the butt to install and you will need a new gasket. In my oppinion it isn't worth it. I have one that came with my power pack but I'm not going to install it. My friend installed his and I don't see much of a difference.

400ex99
02-09-2003, 01:09 PM
i take it that u have stock tires, if he's getting u on top end, then u need to put the 15t back on. your losing top end with the 14. :blah

Silverfox@C&DRacing
02-09-2003, 04:00 PM
I have a key in my bike and it gave a more crisp throttle response. Wasn't to tough to install (oh wait I watched Colby install it, maybe that is why it wasn't to tough) :blah

luvmyex
02-09-2003, 05:27 PM
It probably was the gearing.Im running 22" razor II in the rear.And There were 4 of us side by side with him in the back of us.A blaster,250x,z400 and me with the 400ex that beat me behind all of us.To my suprise i led all the way to 5th gear when i looked back and the other 400 was right behind me and gaining.Dont know what happened to the Z cause he usually smokes me.And the rest i never saw after i launched.It was across a dam so the rocks may have got the z i dont know.I tore my motor apart today to install the piston and cam and just wondered if i should put a key in while im there.
Can ya send Colby by here so i can watch him put one in mine?:confused2