PDA

View Full Version : Can some on PLEASE show me a picture of where the fuel pump relay is?

m0t0xk1d
10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
the title states it. my fuel pump wont turn on when i turn the key. BCS told me its most likely the fuel pump relay but i do not really know what it looks like exactly. i know its under the front plastic near the steering stem but can some one clarify more or post a picture please

blaster99
10-25-2010, 04:48 PM
move the relays around. They can go in either spot. If your fuel pump turns on when you put a different one in its spot, then you will find the bad relay. Play around with ti and you will figure it out.

m0t0xk1d
10-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Thats what we did. now the fuel pump will turn on but and will idle but when i ride it it will just die. What are the other two relays go to? Which ones are which also and which one exactly is the fuel pump relay?

blaster99
10-25-2010, 05:17 PM
One is the fan, the other is the main relay. You probably have switched the fuel pump and fan relays. Try to distinguish which relay is bad and just replace it. I wouldn't ride it without the fan, bad stuff could happen.

m0t0xk1d
10-25-2010, 05:30 PM
we switched the relays around and now the fuel pump turns on but when i try to ride around it just dies. it will drive around but when i let off the gas it just it dies. still starts up everytime just dies.

also do you have to prime the fuel pump everytime it dies? it doesnt seem to start if i stall it unless i prime it.

is the engine naturally loud like mechanically? like not from the exhaust but if you put your head near the engine it is pretty loud.

blaster99
10-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Hmm that's strange with the stalling. I try and let the fuel pump prime, it helps the quad start easier. Also the motors are very loud, so the noise is probably normal.

m0t0xk1d
10-26-2010, 05:48 AM
How come a parts fiche says that none of those relays go to the fuel pump? http://servicehonda.com/look-up-parts/03 (go to canam, 08 ds450 and go to the main front harness) That says that one is the fan, one is the main, and the other goes to the head lamps?

were going to call jay at bcs today to get this figured out. we just picked it up on sunday. Other than that, i love the quad. the handling is amazing and it got great power for stock.

craigmacphee
10-26-2010, 09:24 AM
The loudness you are hearing "may" be a crank bearing. When I had my engine built at Rossier, they realized the motor was making more noise than it should. Their investigation revealed a bad crank bearing. I sure was glad they caught it when they did.

As far as those relays go, you can pick them up at an auto parts store for 1/3 the price of new from Can Am.

Craig

m0t0xk1d
10-26-2010, 10:57 AM
the bike maybe has an hour on it. I really hope its not the bearings. I just got it sunday. its not like knocking the engine is just loud (not the exhaust pipe) when you put your head near the engine.

TNT
10-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by m0t0xk1d
How come a parts fiche says that none of those relays go to the fuel pump? http://servicehonda.com/look-up-parts/03 (go to canam, 08 ds450 and go to the main front harness) That says that one is the fan, one is the main, and the other goes to the head lamps?

were going to call jay at bcs today to get this figured out. we just picked it up on sunday. Other than that, i love the quad. the handling is amazing and it got great power for stock.

That diagram is wrong, the FAN/Accessory's(lamps, etc) are on relay Rt side looking rear if I remember right, fuel pump HAS to have a relay so the ECU can turn it on and off to maintain 50 psi not shown on left. The center main is for the ECM/etc....put all new ones in they cause all kinds of prob or if they are new swap the outers as Blaster said, the quad does not need to fan/acc to run, it does the main and fuel pump. Keep doing until the decel prob stops, it's not a bearing causing this, a bearing would show a worse condition. This is more than likely electrical, fuel, start with the relays.

What did BCS say?

m0t0xk1d
10-26-2010, 05:34 PM
we didnt get to talk to jay because he was out but we ordered three fuses so we have some on hand. The reason why it wouldnt run right we think was the battery. it was only 50% charged. We charged the battery and will have the relays tomoro. i will post to tell what the outcome is

blaster99
10-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Your quad doesn't already have a cut wiring harness? Get it done.. like tomorrow. It is a must have for these quads.

m0t0xk1d
10-26-2010, 06:39 PM
my bad, i meant relays... but yes it is cut but it still has all the fuses. It wasnt cut because the guy who had it said that if something shorted or something went wrong that he would rather have it just blow a fuse then go to the ecu or something and wreck something like that

TNT
10-26-2010, 08:05 PM
The quad has a voltage surge rev limit that will protect equipment, the fuses are redundant, added protection.

A battery would be the other most likely cause, a bad cell, get a load test eliminate it...also when you get it in check the rectifer and stator by putting a voltmeter to it, it should increase from about 12.5vdc fully charged to 13.5-14 @ 4000 rpm, so just rev it up a little if you don't have a tach and see if it climbs.....if it drains the quad will only run on battery power until it dies.

m0t0xk1d
10-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by TNT
The quad has a voltage surge rev limit that will protect equipment, the fuses are redundant, added protection.

A battery would be the other most likely cause, a bad cell, get a load test eliminate it...also when you get it in check the rectifer and stator by putting a voltmeter to it, it should increase from about 12.5vdc fully charged to 13.5-14 @ 4000 rpm, so just rev it up a little if you don't have a tach and see if it climbs.....if it drains the quad will only run on battery power until it dies.

As in putting a voltmeter on "it" do you mean the battery or rectifier?

BCS is like 3 hours away from us and we are going to the albany arenacross. if that is the cast with the voltage surge, then after that race we will just drop the quad of. plus were going to get a few things done to it.

TNT
10-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah check the battery voltage I meant, which is really checking the rectifer....

In the case of a over voltage, the ECM will limit revs to 5000 I think it is to protect it and other vital equipment. this has nothing to do with limp btw....that protection is there if you have limp or not, there is also a flooded engine and max speed limit in the ECM, all that's in the manual.

MW's, BRP, and I think BCS can change those limits these days...I heard BRP has allowed reprogramming of the ECM by some shops but just may be forum hype and rumor for all I know, check into it.

m0t0xk1d
10-27-2010, 10:45 AM
I am kind of confused here TNT, so if something goes wrong in the electrical, the ecm will protect the engine and only let it rev to 5000? Whats the difference between the ecu and ecm? but if i have the race package ecm, my quad wont go into limp mode right?

Whats the advantage to changing those limits? would you change it higher or lower? wouldnt making it higher would it just hurt it because the reason its doing that is because something is wrong?

sorry i just got this sunday. im pretty new to it. its more advanced then my past bike

TNT
10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
You might ask BCS for more clarification when you see them I'm sure they eliminated the fuses safely. The shop manual list a "over voltage" mode the ECM(or ECU) sees and it will limit revs to protect itself. You've seen reset buttons on electronic equipment, same thing but what will happen in the ECM will throw a fault code the dealer has to reset through a sofware system called "BUDs"........

So there are several different "protection modes" the ECM controls or limits revs if you will.

1. Limp the race package removed as is related to over heating/coolant temp.

2. Electrical for surges

3. Flooded Engine - to protect the fuel system

4. Max speed to protect the motor.

Electronic Control Module(ECM) = Electronic Control Unit(ECU).....just some people call it differently.

It IS confusing, takes a while to understand....any more questions just ask!

m0t0xk1d
10-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Ok Thanks TNT. we'll probably get the harness race cut this winter. as for my problem, i replaced the relay, charged the battery and it started right up. checked the volts. it did just what you said it would. seems to be good now rode it around yesterday and i love the way these things ride. i also really dont mind the little low end because i like to rev the bikes out. it hits pretty hard in the mid range.

xrxmxcx
10-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Check your PM's

TNT
10-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by m0t0xk1d
Ok Thanks TNT. we'll probably get the harness race cut this winter. as for my problem, i replaced the relay, charged the battery and it started right up. checked the volts. it did just what you said it would. seems to be good now rode it around yesterday and i love the way these things ride. i also really dont mind the little low end because i like to rev the bikes out. it hits pretty hard in the mid range.

Good news! Let us know what BCS says about the fuses, I have wondered the same thing.....I'm not really sure how many amps or at what voltage this ECM fry's.....The battery is charged by the magneto and rectifier as you verified, it runs the quad basically and can only produce so many volts/amps, 14.X, then it frys first and shuts the quad down fast....I think the fuses protect the wires in this circuit, no fuse wire gages are usually designed to fry before the equipment in it's path, so without the fuse that is what should happen, I would also think the ECM has internal resistors/regulators that keep high damageing voltages away, well one would hope!.....and the manual does elude to that...Until someone can site values, and/or have done test or fried a BCS wire harness fed ECM, it's all opinion even mine, however, many of us have BCS harnesses out here and I have not heard of them frying one in the past year or so.

You might check with BRP race dept I hear they are now making a really nice harness too.