PDA

View Full Version : Starting our own GNCC Outlaw Class

cwjr
10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Maybe we should just all show up on our hybrids and race for the fun of it.....Charlie was going to race a CR80 on a Honda trx frame but the dang thing went sour saturday morning on his way to the starting line. Who cares if we get a DSQ? We can run our own points system etc ?????? What do you guys think ???

838xcracer
10-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Charles why don't u talk to Rita about this. I think u will get alot of quads for this class. I would have built 1 for Michael. THis was the reason we quit the mini's. Alot of these kids are so advanced that the mini's are to slow for them and they aren't having fun. And if there not having fun then they aren't riding to the best of their ability.

T@AFP
10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
YES! Get a hold of Rita and let her know that you guys are serious about this. If you want a class you have to let them know asap. We're doing it at a local venue and it's like pulling teeth getting the parents to let the "right" people now.

markp95
10-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Mr. Welch, we are planning on building Colton White an Apex with the CR85 motor. They are coming from Apex this way. He will run in the locals and GNCC, whatever class they come up with. Didnt make the Ironman, he hurt his leg playing soccer.

cwjr
10-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Sorry to hear about the leg. As of right now the Apex 85 is not legal by AMA or GNCC.....We need a supermini class with the cobras like it was 2 yrs ago.

mmsoup
10-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Mark

Hybrids are not legal at the moment. There are plenty racing legally in the ATVA nationals so why not a hybrid class in the GNCC's
That would include Apex shifters, Cobras and hybrids of any other conventional design within displacement guidelines.

Love to put Kira on a CR85 as well just to enjoy the slightly less stressful maintenance schedule. But production classes require AMA sanctioned production based machines.
The scuttlebutt is that the Apex shifter may not sell enough units to qualify for production status.

Hate the Cr80 went down Chuck, I was looking forward to seeing Charlie buzzing around on that booger

markp95
10-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Going to put it together anyway, he will ride it in the Mid-East, GNCC if it is legal.

mmsoup
10-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Now I'm jealous............

Colton will be awesome on that thing

You guys racing the December races

markp95
10-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Colton was on his Honda at the other Antioch race. Looking to ride the Apex this time.

mmsoup
11-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Cool

I spoke with the AMA today and there are no quads technically approved for 2011. That being said, the Apex shifter DOES NOT have to sell 100 units to be AMA legal for either a GNCC production class or a GNCC modified class or a GNCC Super Mini class, because it is technically a production quad now that is offered for sale by an established manufacturer

GNCC rules committee COULD designate the quad as a Super
Mini if the class is reinstated.

If no rules are changed, it could legally be raced in the Girls 8-15 class and both of the 90 cc modified classes.

The only real hurdle would be to have the exact engine, swingarm configuration.

The only classes that would have the 100 unit requirements would be Limited classes.

Which means that we may actually see shifters separated from CVT's next year if we keep going down this path.

FISH ON!
11-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by mmsoup
Cool

I spoke with the AMA today and there are no quads technically approved for 2011. That being said, the Apex shifter DOES NOT have to sell 100 units to be AMA legal for either a GNCC production class or a GNCC modified class or a GNCC Super Mini class, because it is technically a production quad now that is offered for sale by an established manufacturer

That's an interesting comment from AMA and I hope it is true.......... We're planning to run the Apex85 as well but Apex is saying they have to have 100 units AVAILABLE in the states to meet AMA production rules. That's got me confused now. We'll run MidEast if GNCC won't play.

Here's an interesting thought................ Cobra hasn't produced a quad in a couple years therefor they nolonger have a "production" quad. The best you can do is buy parts and build it yourself or have a dealer assemble.......... No Cobra assembly line so does it qualify as a production quad ???? That has kept me from buying one of those for next year.

The bottom line to help us all is for GNCC to make the decision NOW so we have some time to prep for next season. It will be here before we know it. I'll wager we won't have a definitive answer from them on any of this until next year and most likely not until within a few weeks of the season starting.

Wasn't the old supermini class restricted to 13 to 15 year olds? I don't think for that class you were allowed to move up in class until you hit 13. ???? That's what I got out of reading the old rules anyway and I suspect that's due to the top speed of the shifter quads.,,,......didn't want a youngster hitting 60+ mph in some field and failing to negotiate that turn into the woods!

mmsoup
11-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Todd, the AMA official I spoke with went through the current GNCC rules with me while we were talking and then explained clearly what is considered "Production" What he said to break it down further was that as long as the cases and frame were matched up the product would be considered Production (Hence the endless modifications we have made to the DRR's and Apex's)and there were no qualifying unit sales necessary. (70 CVT, Girls, and both 90 mod classes) provided they are offered for sale by a going concern.
90 Limited is roughly the same a s the Stock classes in the MX world and would have unit qualifying criteria.

All of this is moot though should GNCC preclude the type, make, model from a certain class. Such as the Cobra when they ran the Super Mini class.

Bottom Line

Get to the riders meeting at the end of the banquet and voice your opinion and concerns. GNCC is loath to add any new classes on the youth side and typically want to eliminate a class to add a class. So it is possible that this quad could be legal for several classes

The 85 shifter will be very fast and the kind of platform that will be an overall caliber quad. The Cobra is extremely maintenance intensive, but will actually handle better than the APEX due to Geometry. It also has about 4 more horsepower stock. Me personally, if we were going to put Kira on a shifter it would be the APEX. I know the people, don't have the problems with them that others have claimed and have real faith in the CR motor.

FISH ON!
11-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Sounds good to me. We'll definitely hang around for any riders meetings at the GNCC banquet. This is our first time so I wasn't sure what the banquet agenda is.

If nothing changes for next year I think the front row will be pretty big and probably the girls class as well since that seems to be growing. Several of the 8-11 boys will be moving up and all the ones I've talked to won't be in the limited class. From what I heard this last season, trying to get the same number of entries per class seems to be their priority over quad performance.

cwjr
11-05-2010, 08:56 AM
The rules meeting will be sat a.m...

FISH ON!
11-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Any new news on the GNCC rules for 2011? Or how about the schedule?

I noticed the MX Nationals are starting earlier and look like they will have some conflicts with GNCC. The MX Nats will be in my back yard when we're suppose to be in FL for the GNCC openner. That's a bummer but I heard rumor of some GNCC location changes also ?????

I guess we may find out in a few weeks.

FISH ON!
11-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I got to looking at the rules again and after reading how the AMA guy interpreted them, I don't see why any hybrid quad couldn't run in the modified class based on the 2010 rules. The only "production" restriction is on the limited classes and the 70 CVT. There are NO restrictions in the modified classes other then engine displacement. Manual and auto clutches are eligible for the LIMITED class if they are "production= 100 units."

So, I think the rules as stated allow hybrids and allow the Apex 85 shifter to run the limited class if Apex gets a 100 of them available in the states. BTW, there was a hybrid quad running a couple of this years events.

??

Full Throttle00
01-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I like the sound of this, OUTLAW CLASS just sounds very cool, and should get some regognition.
If they don't want you to give you a trophy (we always need more on the shelf :devil: ) and DSQ you, JUST DO IT for fun.
We have a few local classes 0-85cc & 86-125cc

FISH ON!
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
GNCC made it real clear that they will never support any hybrid quads in their series. That's a shame but their reason was that they support the OEMs because that is who helps pay for the series. I really don't see how one youth hybrid class would affect their program.......IMO it would bring in more dollars but it wasn't worth arguing since they made it real clear that GNCC wouldn't allow hybrids.

On a positive note........... they did create an open class to allow all production quads to run together, including shifters. For the most part, the remainder of the classes are CVT only.

lilman
01-26-2011, 11:44 AM
if they did allow hybrids im sure there would be good numbers and the oems would see how big the market actualy is for a performance youth machine. we need more 85-250cc machines so our kids can make the transition to big quads.the yami is a step in the right direction . hopefully the other majors follow suit.
a 250 suzuki or honda? scaled down from the 450s!!!!
dare to dream,