PDA

View Full Version : Getting irritated

99400esex
10-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Hey guys I went to pick my ex up today cuz the guy finished checking over everything. I took it for a little ride when I got to his house to make sure everything was good, it ran awesome. I got it back to my house and I went to take it for a ride to break the cam in and as soon as i hopped on it and went I knew there was a problem. About 30 feet down the path I started losing power and eventually it just started backfiring and shut down. Now it wont start at all. Whats going on with this thing? Is it possible that the local honda dealer didnt repair the wiring for my tether switch correctly, or resolder the coils right? Cuz this is exactly what it was doing the first time the wiring went bad.

99400esex
10-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Anyone?

f4iracer
10-24-2010, 06:32 PM
did you check the fuel switch. sounds like you ran it out of gas and you need to turn the gas on.

99400esex
10-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah there is gas in it and the switch is on.

CJM
10-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Check all the wiring, check the cam tensioner? Is the carb loading up with fuel or not enough fuel, did you check the fuses, did you check to see it was getting gas?

99400esex
10-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Im gonna clean the carb tommorow. I really have no idea to check the wiring or fuses because I know nothing about that stuff. lol

CJM
10-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Make sure all wires are connected well and not dirty or corroded thats all.

Cutting out sounds like carb tho.

Get this, today while riding with a new group of friends one of the guys had a new 450r (well leftover but still it is new). Was fine till we kept dragging it vs me and another guy. On way back tot he truck it kept stumbling, pinging and backfiring on the guy..its brand new???

Turns out carb was overfilling, float stuck, who knows but drained it and it ran ok for all of 5 mins and did it again..

99400esex
10-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Eh that sucks man, I know I haven't been a big fan of 450's after I blew mine up, I just always hear there unreliable, and that has proven to be true in my case. There quick though but id still rather rip on my ex.

slightlybent47
10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
It sounds like they didn’t fix it right the first time, take it back and have them look at it again.

99400esex
10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah bent but the problem is that I don't have tons of extra money to pay a dealer to fix the same problem AGAIN.

togup
10-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Absolutely, you cant afford to pay someone to do something and they do not fix it right you demand they fix it right because youve already paid for that service once.

Ian400ex
10-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by togup
Absolutely, you cant afford to pay someone to do something and they do not fix it right you demand they fix it right because youve already paid for that service once.
Was about to say something like this, take it to those (insert nasty words) and demand they get it right. If anything come to an agreement with them.

CJM
10-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Ian400ex
Was about to say something like this, take it to those (insert nasty words) and demand they get it right. If anything come to an agreement with them.

exactly, you paid them and obviously they didnt do the job so bring it right back.

99400esex
10-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Definitely. If the carb is not the problem im definitely leaning towards the faulty wiring again. Ill have to call them idiots up and make them feel my wrath.:scary:

99400esex
11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Well guys im an idiot. Ends up I didnt have enough gas in there, I turned reserve on and it started right up. But theres still a few places on the wiring system that got me wondering? O well, it runs for now.

Thumpin440ex
11-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 99400esex
Well guys im an idiot. Ends up I didnt have enough gas in there, I turned reserve on and it started right up. But theres still a few places on the wiring system that got me wondering? O well, it runs for now.

LMAO hey its happend to us all. But alot will not admit it has...Glad it was a stupid fix...

John

CJM
11-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Dont feel so bad a dealer told me 2x all it needed was gas and that they jetted it. And wouldnt you know they didnt jet crap like I asked for (adjusting the air/fuel screw isnt jetting!!!!!)

I always check reserve, you just never know and eliminating one thing off the list is a good idea imho.

99400esex
11-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Haha yeah I felt like an idiot but hey it happens i guess, what did you guys do after breaking your cams in? Im gonna take it easy for the first hour and a half. Just like on the sheet it says ride it 40 mins and let it totally cool then ride it another 30 mins and let it cool again. I plan on changing the oil after the cam is broke in. Ill probably check the valves again but not right away unless they sound overly loud. Anything else?

CJM
11-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Wanna laugh?

I rebuilt it all, and beat the ever living snot out of it using synthetic oil. Took it apart to check something, no wear or issues lol. Thats apparently 2 big no nos in rebuilding an engine-or so they say.

There are 2 theorys in how to break in an engine:
1. Take it easy, let it run and warm up, then take it easy on the throttle. Let it cool, give more throttle this time and then a final time of cooling then you run it to the hilt.

2. beat the snot out of it.

Ive rebuilt many an engine, beating the snot out of it and changing the oil works for me. BUT unlike most people (this is the 400ex only) I didnt use oil to coat the cam guides-I used cam lube. I also cleaned the valves and port and polished the head slightly and I made sure I polished where the cam rides to make sure it didnt have any issues. I also used 2 cycle oil to assemble the piston (burns up easier) and made sure to coat everything I felt needed it in oil or cam lube.

So really, your choice on how you want to do it. Mines totally rebuilt topend since about 8 months ago and has like 40-50 hours on it with no issues at all.

*I did adjust and or check the valves at 5, 10, 30 and recently probably that 40-50 hour range. Im itching to install an hour meter might I add.. I also change my oil religiously around 15-20 hours or so depending on the condition of the oil and time on it.

99400esex
11-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Wanna laugh?

I rebuilt it all, and beat the ever living snot out of it using synthetic oil. Took it apart to check something, no wear or issues lol. Thats apparently 2 big no nos in rebuilding an engine-or so they say.

There are 2 theorys in how to break in an engine:
1. Take it easy, let it run and warm up, then take it easy on the throttle. Let it cool, give more throttle this time and then a final time of cooling then you run it to the hilt.

2. beat the snot out of it.

Ive rebuilt many an engine, beating the snot out of it and changing the oil works for me. BUT unlike most people (this is the 400ex only) I didnt use oil to coat the cam guides-I used cam lube. I also cleaned the valves and port and polished the head slightly and I made sure I polished where the cam rides to make sure it didnt have any issues. I also used 2 cycle oil to assemble the piston (burns up easier) and made sure to coat everything I felt needed it in oil or cam lube.

So really, your choice on how you want to do it. Mines totally rebuilt topend since about 8 months ago and has like 40-50 hours on it with no issues at all.

*I did adjust and or check the valves at 5, 10, 30 and recently probably that 40-50 hour range. Im itching to install an hour meter might I add.. I also change my oil religiously around 15-20 hours or so depending on the condition of the oil and time on it.

Im definitely one of the guys that take it easy on it a little while before I start to beat on it. Ill do that for a little while cuz I mean thats not really that long of a period that you have to baby it. Did you adjust your valves after 5 hours CJM? Or was this one of the times you just checked them?

CJM
11-02-2010, 07:51 PM
If I remember I checked them at 5, 10 and at 20 I readjusted them back to the stock setting and imho the tick didnt go away much since Im running a hotcam with no decompressor. I then checked them again and again with no change.

Even tho its ticking it has not affected performance and I have had no issues at all. I raced a 450r multiple times a few weeks ago with no issues so I would say its fine lol.

heres some good info on why running it all out is the way to go and this is similar to the procedure I did.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

99400esex
11-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If I remember I checked them at 5, 10 and at 20 I readjusted them back to the stock setting and imho the tick didnt go away much since Im running a hotcam with no decompressor. I then checked them again and again with no change.

Even tho its ticking it has not affected performance and I have had no issues at all. I raced a 450r multiple times a few weeks ago with no issues so I would say its fine lol.

heres some good info on why running it all out is the way to go and this is similar to the procedure I did.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Good info CJM, Id much rather just hop on it and give it hell. Thanks for enlightening me on that!

CJM
11-02-2010, 08:31 PM
No problem man. Like i said I have no issues at all.

99400esex
11-03-2010, 08:54 PM
The low end difference from this cam really woke the quad up, im very happy with it. Thanks for all the help guys.:)

drew416ex
11-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I can understand how you would make a mistake like that being a Penguins fan and all. Ha ha, j/k. :D

99400esex
11-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
I can understand how you would make a mistake like that being a Penguins fan and all. Ha ha, j/k. :D

Dont even get me started. haha

togup
11-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I was shown that same thread a year ago by a co worker and I believe it but after spending absurd amounts of money on my build (anything over 100 dollars is absurd to me) I played it safe and did it the old fashioned way, maybe if it was someone elses dime I would try it.