PDA

View Full Version : e-series pipe dilemma

cryan54935
02-08-2003, 05:24 PM
I just recently purchased an e-series slip on. It sounds great.
I was riding this weekend and was pulled over by the DNR. He said it was too loud. He said you could not modify to make it any louder than stock. I put my stock muffler back on.

Is there anything available that can quiet down the pipe. Does the quiet core work and do you have to add more or remove discs to make it not as loud? Would the powerbomb header help?
I need to get this thing quiet.

luvmyex
02-08-2003, 05:49 PM
I havent tried it but i have heard the no discs is about like running a stock pipe.

wgbanks
02-08-2003, 07:08 PM
I have a quiet core that I got from Rocky Mountain ATV and it does quiet the bike, but it is still louder than stock I would say. The quiet core goes in before your disks. It robs some power but how much is hard to determine. Noise cops are a drag!!:ermm:

JD400exrider
02-08-2003, 07:17 PM
I live in CA the noise cops are big drag My buddy has a disac type LRD pipe. he ads and removes discs depending on where he goes. CAll The manufacture on the DB depending on the set up

Thus DB thing is a real pain in the @ss

RED121572
02-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Thats odd. A WB's E Series is one of the most noise pollution friendly pipes out there. Did the DNR measure the noise or did he "think" it was too loud.

Do you have the spark arrestor installed?

RED

cryan54935
02-08-2003, 07:39 PM
He said because it was aftermarket, it was too loud. I don't believe it is that loud, but at least I didn't get a ticket.
I am going to get a quiet core insert and try messing withthe discs.

wgbanks
02-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Red has a good point. If you run it without the blank plate on the end of the disks, spark arrestor, it is very loud. I don't mean to make light of your experience/knowledge level. But there have been more than a couple of instances where the question of the end plate on the WB E series have come up and it should be installed for the pipe to work as advertised. Just some friendly rhetoric not a flame.

cryan54935
02-08-2003, 08:27 PM
The spark arrestor is the way it came to me. I didn't modify anything on the muffler.
I just ordered the quiet core and I will install that and remove some of the discs. I will also carry the recept with me if I see the warden again to prove I put forth some effort to quiet my machine down. I don't know if it will do any good.

wheeltrax
02-08-2003, 10:30 PM
I run 12 disks, and the sparkarrestor, and my quad is still very loud. IT has a nice sound to it though. I love it.

cryan54935
02-09-2003, 06:31 AM
If I use the quiet core, remove a couple of discs and add the fmf powerbomb, that should quiet it up, don't you think. From what I've read, the powerbomb can help to quiet a loud exhaust.

roostu
02-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Im just glad that we dont have those kind of noise cops in Arizona............

~Roost-U

Steve-o 400EX
02-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by luvmyex
I havent tried it but i have heard the no discs is about like running a stock pipe.

No discs is runnin strait pipe and its loud as ****, rockymountain does sell a quiet core and they claim it doesn't make you lose much power, i'd try that.

Steve-o 400EX
02-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by cryan54935
If I use the quiet core, remove a couple of discs and add the fmf powerbomb, that should quiet it up, don't you think. From what I've read, the powerbomb can help to quiet a loud exhaust.

Keep the discs, get a powerbong and a quiet core and you should be set, the powerbong should make up for the small powerloss of the quiet core.

cryan54935
02-09-2003, 10:18 AM
Much thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Burden7
02-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Steve-o,
Have you ran your E-series without any of the discs installed? I don't have any discs installed in mine and I have a turn-down endcap and it is the queitest on on the track. All of the pipes that I have ran against are considerably louder than mine.

Cryan, if I were you, I would find out what the maximum DB level is for the area. Just because a pipe is aftermarket, doesn't mean that it is too loud. If the local DNR are stopping people because of noise then they should have a DB meter handy.

northeast400
02-10-2003, 05:26 PM
NO noise cops in NH, but the queit cores work. You want loud I run 18 discs!!!!!!!!It screams!!!!!!!

A4StrokeGuy
02-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Thats BS!!! I had an E-series slip on, running 10 disc and it tested 94dbl's, this was tested at silver lake by a DNR officer, he thought it was louder then that along with myself but make him test it u'll be surprised, i didn't have quiet core insert either.

Jordan

Steve-o 400EX
02-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Burden7
Steve-o,
Have you ran your E-series without any of the discs installed? I don't have any discs installed in mine and I have a turn-down endcap and it is the queitest on on the track. All of the pipes that I have ran against are considerably louder than mine.

Cryan, if I were you, I would find out what the maximum DB level is for the area. Just because a pipe is aftermarket, doesn't mean that it is too loud. If the local DNR are stopping people because of noise then they should have a DB meter handy.

Yea I have run it with no discs a couple of times and its definately louder without the discs. I'm not saying its the loudest but it does make some noise. I just run the nozzle that comes with it.

nakomis0
02-11-2003, 03:13 PM
You should just be able to remove disks. I think it comes with 12 disks. Go down to 8 disks, that should quiet it up alot.

cryan54935
02-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Does anyone know for sure about the discs. I have read that adding makes it louder and removing makes it louder. Which statement is correct.

300exracer
02-11-2003, 06:27 PM
If you add more disks it will be more louder. If you dont use as many disks it wont be as loud.

Steve-o 400EX
02-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by cryan54935
Does anyone know for sure about the discs. I have read that adding makes it louder and removing makes it louder. Which statement is correct.

Adding adds sound and power, Removing will make it quieter.

wgbanks
02-12-2003, 06:53 PM
I have an eSeries and I agree with las to posts. More disks more noise. Fewer disks less noise. More disks more top end. 12 disks recommended by Whtie Bros for the best of both worlds top and bottom end. With 4 disks it's just about like having a stock pipe.

Sick0
02-13-2003, 07:20 AM
I ran 4 disks before and soulded just like tyhe stock pipe.

cryan54935
02-13-2003, 03:54 PM
I just put four discs on and it is quieter, but when you hit the gas it is just as loud. Will the quiet core insert quiet it down when you are on the gas. When this Warden pulls me over again, I need it to be quieter when I hit the gas.

wgbanks
02-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Quiet core will make less noise when on the gas. It fits against the siliencer and the disk go on top of it. It looks like the blank end plate but has a 1.25 inch dia. pipe welded in to a cutout in the center of the blank plate causing the reduction in noise. Enough to please the noise cops? I Don't know. I only use mine when my son and I are going to ride for an extended time when it seems appropriate for me to be a little less obnoxious with my sound emissions. But it works. It's advertised to reduce the sound level by about 5db or so. Tough decision when the thing is $30.00ish on Rock Mountain ATV site. Good luck with your decision.