PDA

View Full Version : ds650 valve questions????

jer480
10-24-2010, 08:41 AM
i have a 05 ds 650x, and i need to adjust the valves on it. i have never done it before i know i have to shim them but other than that i dont know. last quad was a 400ex those were easy. and i have the repair manuel and that doesnt realy show much. and help would be great.

brian 68
10-24-2010, 10:47 AM
pull one plug out, pull the crank plug out, (rear brake side middle plastic plug). on the clutch cover remove the crank lock bolt. look in your manual. you will need to find a longer bolt and round the end of the bolt so it locks in the crank. use a allen wrench in the brake sidecover to rotate the crank to top dead center. screw the bolt in the clutch cover lock bolt hole . then pull the top cover off the head. the cam lobes should be pointing in a opposite horizontal direction . slide your feeler gages in between the lobe and the shim record the measurement. move to the next one. i mark them with a perment marker, on the head where the gasket sets , 1, 2, 3, 4, . so not to get them mixed up. if its to tight, you will have to get the smallest shim and try again. remove the cams, don't forget to remove the chain tensioner. and mark the caps 1, 2, ect . go to your dealer/ shop and they should be able to tell you what you need. alot of the times the intake valves sink into the head and are to tight to shim. either new seats, or +1 valves will be needed to fix the problem. if you have any more questions just pm me.