PDA

View Full Version : Alloy rims in the winter(truck)

Rip_Tear
10-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Hi, been awhile since I posted anything here and I couldn't think of any other group I'd ask for some rim advice.

My question is, any suggestions on anything I can do to my alloy rims for the winter to help them with the salt etc. I would buy steel rims but I just don't have the $ to, so for this winter I'll be running the stock alloy rims that came with my Ranger. Next year hopefully I'll have some money to do something better.

Does anyone else run alloys in the winter?

CJM
10-23-2010, 06:24 PM
100 bucks can buy you a set of steelies with tires from a junkyard.

But if you cant buy wheels you need to wash and wash them frequently. Wax will protect the wheels from the salt only so much tho.

eastside 400
10-24-2010, 09:45 AM
the factory wheels should hold up pretty good in the winter, the aftermarket stuff is usually made a little cheaper in the finish department. you'll be fine running them but just rinse them off every week

Smoker
10-24-2010, 03:25 PM
They say cover them up in grease but I found chain lube works the best. Get a good coat on there so all of the surface is coated and it won't see a second of salt. You have to touch them up once and a while but should work good. Then in the spring, scrub the nasty goo off.

bbender85
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
i've run Ion Alloy 160's thru 3 michigan winters now with zero pitting... they just require a day each spring to get the luster back. no special coating in the winter months, just an occasional power washing.