PDA

View Full Version : Hinson Clutch

450Rfutureracer
10-22-2010, 09:38 PM
What oil is everyone running with their Hinson clutch pads to prevent slipping and burning up of fibers. I was going to use Amsoil 10W-40 but dont want to ruin these new fibers with a cheap quart of oil.

Pacheco_450r
10-22-2010, 09:41 PM
that's exactly what I use, I've never had any problems with it.

DnB_racing
10-23-2010, 07:36 AM
you can run an inexpensive oil without any problems! as long as you change very frequently, the biggest wear issue will be how you engage and disengage your clutch

b.lee
10-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Stay away from synthetic oils and you'll be set.

I run Valvoline 5w-30

Baileygunns
10-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
you can run an inexpensive oil without any problems! as long as you change very frequently, the biggest wear issue will be how you engage and disengage your clutch

You might want to specify what you mean by inexpensive oils. That leaves the door open to many interpretations, a lot of which can be costly on the clutch. There are inexpensive oils that are quality and will work and there are inexpensive oils that are cheap and won't work... And unless you are riding the clutch all day or it's not adjusted correctly and slipping not stop, your clutch engagement won't wear a clutch nearly as fast as some inexpensive cheap oils will...

DnB_racing
10-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
You might want to specify what you mean by inexpensive oils. That leaves the door open to many interpretations, a lot of which can be costly on the clutch. There are inexpensive oils that are quality and will work and there are inexpensive oils that are cheap and won't work... And unless you are riding the clutch all day or it's not adjusted correctly and slipping not stop, your clutch engagement won't wear a clutch nearly as fast as some inexpensive cheap oils will... I mean like rotella oils they arent expensive and work just fine. clean oil is more important! change regullaly, run an oil that isnt so expensive that dont mind changing after a 4 hour ride!with an expensive oil you be inclined to run the oil too long, thats what I meant

Baileygunns
10-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Just amke sure there isn't any friction reducing additives for the clutch side...

I made the swap to Rotella about 8 hours ago (ride time)... So far so good.

DnB_racing
10-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
And unless you are riding the clutch all day or it's not adjusted correctly and slipping not stop, your clutch engagement won't wear a clutch nearly as fast as some inexpensive cheap oils will... you really should have seen my daughter learn to use a clutch!!!! It probably wore my clutch as much in one day as I have in two years!!!

desratt
10-23-2010, 02:30 PM
synthetics are fine.. just nothing with friction reducing additives such as moly.

450Rfutureracer
10-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Alright thanks for all the input, Im just going to continue to run the Amsoil and I'm very good at keeping fresh oil in it so that shouldnt be a problem.