PDA

View Full Version : whats the lowdown on these slingshot clutches

snacob14
10-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm looking for something similar tot he rekluse I ran in my 450. don't know if its possible, i know the rekluses aren't available for them. what is the slingshot like. please explain

troybilt
10-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Slingshot is a lockout clutch if you want something like the Rekluse Z-start pro for a 250r you'll have to go EFM they are the only one's I know of that will do an auto-type clutch conversion for the 250r. I checked into it 6-8 months ago.

625 will get you the autoclutch conversion, a little high IMO. They can only convert an OEM style clutch basket. You'll also most likely need a quick change cover as the clutch sticks out a few mm farther than a stock clutch. He said they have a Cometic clutch cover spacer, 2mm thck that will do the trick though if you dont' have one. I've yet to hear anyone try the EFM clutch yet on a 250r.

Gary Buzzelli is the contact.

I'm in no way affiliated with them, I too had the same thought. I've just got a few other things to buy and only so much money to go around. I have a complete brand new OEM clutch to have them build one for me...

http://www.efmautoclutch.com/

snacob14
10-22-2010, 08:31 PM
so lets say I don't have the cash for both the clutch and the quick change, he'll have a gasket for the whole clutch side cover? the rekluse was 600 bones, plus the basket, plus the sidecover i had some cash in that, and for woods its just about priceless.

troybilt
10-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Yes, I believe so... I'll try and dig up some old emails from him. I think he said to send them the clutch and the cover and he'd make sure that it cleared...

troybilt
10-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Here is his response:

Troy:

No matter what cover you get, when you send me in the clutch, send in your clutch cover. Cometic makes me a spacer and gasket to space it out, so it will have room.

Thank you for the interest in EFM Auto Clutch.

Garry Buzzelli
EFM Auto Clutch Inc.
3101 State Route 14
Rootstown, Oh 44272
330 947 1700
330 947 1708 FAX

www.efmautoclutch.com

leager-n-ky
10-24-2010, 09:05 AM
What is that clutch setup that Jason (Pdxbigfoot) uses???

C41Xracer
10-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Wow, thanks for posting the responce with his address . Rootstown is only about 35 min from me, now ill have to stop there and check there shop out

kookennay
10-27-2010, 09:31 AM
so with this style clutch you don't ever use the clutch?

troybilt
10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Depends, there are 2 different clutches listed in the thread... the Slingshot is a lockup clutch for high hp motors. The EFM is a Rekluse type clutch, i.e. auto-clutch in which you don't have to use the clutch but the lever is still there if you need it, to pop it in corners etc... they explain all of it in the FAQ's section on the website.

rsss396
10-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by kookennay
so with this style clutch you don't ever use the clutch?

you still shift the bike, and in order to shift either you pull the clutch in or back off the throttle a split second back loading the trans and upshifting.
You can do that right now with your stock setup so that is not a advantage.
But you can run threw a corner in a gear higher than you did before because there will be slip until a certain rpm that you have tuned the auto clutch to.

troybilt
10-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Won't stall either so there is another advantage.

snacob14
10-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by rsss396
you still shift the bike, and in order to shift either you pull the clutch in or back off the throttle a split second back loading the trans and upshifting.
You can do that right now with your stock setup so that is not a advantage.

I always wondered how true this was. I use the clutch a lot, but sometimes not when I downshift. is this ok to do?

sixer3
10-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by snacob14
I always wondered how true this was. I use the clutch a lot, but sometimes not when I downshift. is this ok to do?

I've always ridden like this, I havent had any problem with tranny's yet but I've never owned a ridiculous drag bike wither but definitely some pretty well built motors with stock trans.

snacob14
10-27-2010, 05:49 PM
i'm just running a 295 xc ported, but its nice not to have to hit the clutch on all downshifs.

89trx250r
10-27-2010, 05:55 PM
i was actually reading about this the other day apparently a lot of racers dont use the clutch and its faster to not use it as long as you let off the throttle for a split second when you shift some say they use the clutch to downshift and not upshift some say they use it to upshift and not down so i guess it cant be too terrible being as some of theese national built motors are pretty potent

troybilt
10-27-2010, 06:46 PM
With my 450r I hardly ever used the clutch. What the Rekluse and EFM get you is being able to do this at will and when you come to a tight spot you can keep in higher gear or if its really tight you won't stall the bike out. Its a slick setup... similar to an old utility quad with auto clutch... only you can use the clutch too. Its a little better setup but you get the idea.

Jason Hall
10-27-2010, 07:40 PM
If this setup Is just like a Rekluse (Pro Model), then you can't bump start the engine If It did stall. Not that a 2 stroke stalls like a 4 stroke, but I know I stall my 2 stroke's once In a while when using the trans to slow myself down and the rear wheels stop for a second. A stock clutch 250R will fire right back up Quick with just a little forward momentum, where a 4 stroke like's to just skid the rear tire's. I guess with the rekluse It's not supposed to stall, but some time's they do. If your Idle circuit Is not Perfect with a Rekluse, It will stall!

kookennay
10-27-2010, 07:42 PM
i shift up a lot not using the clutch, never tried shifting down like that. so like when i woulds ride and have to hit the braks hard to turn or somethingit won,t kill the motor?

89trx250r
10-28-2010, 12:14 AM
it will thats what troy is saying if you dont clutch it into a tight corner or something it will stall just like if you tried to just pop it from neutral to first without clutching i personally only clutch on downshifts just cause i dont wanna stall it and i believe the new 250ex has a similar style to what your saying about the old recon and the rekluse where you can clutch it or just auto clutch it and on another note you can pop start auto clutches but theres a process this kid down the road from me has one and i had to help him you have to put it in neutral then up to like third then as soon as the motor starts to turn over back to neutral for it to actullay start its an ubsurd process but it can be done lol

Jason Hall
10-28-2010, 06:18 AM
With a Rekluse Z-start or Pro model auto clutch you Can Not bump start the engine! I'm not sure If the EFM Is built the same way, so maybe with that one you can.

troybilt
10-28-2010, 07:24 AM
My understanding with the EFM, through several email correspondance with them... is you pretty much can't stall the motor... You can come to a complete stop and never use the clutch and not stall the motor in any gear... You can then stab the throttle from a dead stop and take off like stripped @$$ ape all without ever placing a finger on the clutch lever. It uses centrifugal force to engage and disengage the clutch, so the more rpms the harder the clutch engages, and at a certain rpm (where ever you set it at) the clutch complete disengages... the lever is still there if you want to use it, but there is no situations in where you would need to use the clutch lever again. I only mentioned the tight corners, some people like to pop the clutch to get wheel spin to whip the rear end around. You can still do that but you don't have to... it won't stall.

Hope that helps.

kookennay
10-28-2010, 08:15 AM
So if i was going downhill and using the motor to slow me down, this clutch wouldn't let me do that?

troybilt
10-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by kookennay
So if i was going downhill and using the motor to slow me down, this clutch wouldn't let me do that?

I don't think so. That's a good question to ask though, but I'm sure it depends on what rpm. If you are at idle I'd say no, but if you're flying down the hill and use the engine to brake at high rpms there would be no difference. 2 strokes don't have much of an engine brake anyway. 4 pokers do though!! hence the BTL clutch from Hinson...

Again this is my speculation... I can't speak for EFM directly. I asked him alot of questions, but I didn't ask that one specifically. I plan to run this setup in my XC bike so when I do I'll have first hand knowledge of it.

snacob14
10-28-2010, 08:24 AM
there is certainly much less engine braking with the rekluse. I ran the pro on my 450r for a season and a half. it is a great clutch, but it will still stall at times. hard braking and throttle stab can kill it, not always, but occassionally. it also has a lot to do with the way you set up the clutch. As long as you have a kicker, then stalling it isn't a problem. The only issue with electric start bikes and a rekluse is in the event that the e start fails, ur day is done. U don't bump start with a rekluse, no way to do it. I've tried it all. I liked it, but it makes you a lazier rider fo sho. I raced without it for the first time sunday and can say that my times increased as I got used to not having it.

kookennay
10-28-2010, 11:17 AM
sounds like a cool setup i do a lot of woods irding i think it would be a lot more fun not having to use the clutch all the time.

C41Xracer
10-28-2010, 11:42 AM
This clutch setup sounds like a good idea but 1 thing concerns me. There clutch adds 3/8” to the clutch length, I'm worried that this will hit the kicker.

rsss396
10-28-2010, 11:54 AM
just remember you still need to be shifting gears with these setups.
If you leave it in 4-5 or 6th gear from a dead stop your clutch will not last very long.

Remember these just progressively feather the clutch for you until a certain rpm wear they then fully lockup. This lockup rpm can be tuned with the amount or the weight of the balls you run inside the clutch.(at least for the reklus)

You really should not be more than 1 gear higher than you would normally be.

The slingshot that I now run is really exactly like my old reklus pro except it never disengages the clutch it only adds holding pressure

snacob14
10-28-2010, 12:49 PM
[i]
The slingshot that I now run is really exactly like my old reklus pro except it never disengages the clutch it only adds holding pressure [/B]

then how is that like a rekluse? the whole point of a rekluse is that you odn't have to engage and disengage the clutch manually.

troybilt
10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
then how is that like a rekluse? the whole point of a rekluse is that you odn't have to engage and disengage the clutch manually.

I think??? he's refering to the added centrifugal force, balls i.e. and ramps to increase holding the power. That's one of the advantages of a Rekluse or EFM too, is you do increase holding power. Its just they don't require you to use the clutch lever...

snacob14
10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
so basically i need to pickup an efm, a quick change and I should be at the same point I would be with a rekluse? Think i'll hold off for a while. 1k in an autoclutch just doesn't seem worth it at the moment.

troybilt
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
so basically i need to pickup an efm, a quick change and I should be at the same point I would be with a rekluse? Think i'll hold off for a while. 1k in an autoclutch just doesn't seem worth it at the moment.
That's pretty much whatever one else said the first time this was discussed... I've picked all of the components over about a yr's period. Now I started another project and don't want to spent 625 on this one... LOL... I will eventually. Too many irons in the fire...

snacob14
10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
I hear ya. I plan on racing a full season next year, and even still I don't feel like its going to be worth the initial cost. I raced my 450 sunday w/out the rekluse and did fine, but, there wasn't as much tight stuff as I usually race in. whats the best way to lighten the 250r's clutch pull. I've heard the moose ezpull clutch setups are hard on cables? is this true. will 500 springs ease it up at all? I remember straightening the arm on my clutch on my last 250r.

troybilt
10-28-2010, 02:04 PM
I hear ya. I plan on racing a full season next year, and even still I don't feel like its going to be worth the initial cost. I raced my 450 sunday w/out the rekluse and did fine, but, there wasn't as much tight stuff as I usually race in. whats the best way to lighten the 250r's clutch pull. I've heard the moose ezpull clutch setups are hard on cables? is this true. will 500 springs ease it up at all? I remember straightening the arm on my clutch on my last 250r.

I just installed a Magura clutch on mine... it has a nice light pull.

CODY_M11
10-28-2010, 02:08 PM
YOU CAN BUMP START A AUTO CLUTCH or what ever you call it. When a was younger and started riding on a old Honda 70 atc my dad and I bump started it all the time. The way you do it is hold the shifter all the way up. This allows it to be in a neutral position and can push/pull it. When your up to speed let the shifter fall in to gear and it will fire. Done this so many times I know it works. ;) ;)

snacob14
10-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by CODY_M11
YOU CAN BUMP START A AUTO CLUTCH or what ever you call it. When a was younger and started riding on a old Honda 70 atc my dad and I bump started it all the time. The way you do it is hold the shifter all the way up. This allows it to be in a neutral position and can push/pull it. When your up to speed let the shifter fall in to gear and it will fire. Done this so many times I know it works. ;) ;)
not even kind of the same thing. and no, you can not bump start a bike that has a rekluse;) ;)

CODY_M11
10-28-2010, 02:43 PM
I'M not talking about the reKluse. I don't know anything about those. BUt I know the autos you can and someone said you couldn't. WE even do it to our timber wolves

snacob14
10-28-2010, 04:49 PM
not talking about autos, talking about auto clutches...ie rekluse, efm, slingshot

rsss396
10-28-2010, 07:15 PM
then how is that like a rekluse? the whole point of a rekluse is that you don't have to engage and disengage the clutch manually.

They look alike in the fact that they use steel or tungsten balls that follow grooved ramps in the pressure plate that apply more pressure with more rpms.

The difference is the rekluse is setup doesn't have clutch springs to apply any pressure so at idle the clutch is disengaged.

The slingshot still uses the factory springs so you still have spring pressure on the clutches at idle and as the motor revs up it keeps adding more and more pressure on top of the factory spring pressure.

Slingshots are for hillclimbers and drag racers and the rekluse style clutches are for the woods and MX guys.

Both are good setups in the correct application

mcboomport
10-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
What is that clutch setup that Jason (Pdxbigfoot) uses???
Direct Drives lockout