PDA

View Full Version : 416-Port & flow?

anywhereEx
02-08-2003, 03:20 PM
I have hear alot of people on here have gotten their head ported and flowed with the 416 kit. Is it a considerable gain for the $ and where did you get it done including $.

Also who has the best clutch set up for a fair price. I saw that Gt thunder has one for $215 and it is supposed to include alot for the $

BadA$$440
02-08-2003, 04:31 PM
GT Thunder's kit for $215, is that a 8 plate setup with a new basket? if so, that is Cheap.

Cuz i bought a Hinson clutch basket, stock friction and steel plates, and new springs. This is one of the good setups people told me so i wet ahead and did it. Im satisfied with it, it hooks up incredible.

anywhereEx
02-08-2003, 04:37 PM
This is what it says it includes: This kit includes new fibres, new steel plates,a new inner pressure plate, a new clutch cover gasket, and new clutch springs. It has all the machining done and is ready to be installed

Ralph
02-08-2003, 09:55 PM
i have heard port and flow jobs make quite a difference, im going to get mine done.
just make sure u get it done y like a respectable shop

anywhereEx
02-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Bump.

Some one has to have some insight on this. I mean if it was a pipe question there would be like 50 replies already:huh

roostu
02-09-2003, 08:30 AM
If you are going to go with a big bore kit then yes porting is worth it.....but like Lrd Mx400ex said get it done by a respectable shop.

~Roost-U

BadA$$440
02-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Sparks, TC, LRD, CT, Duncan, all do porting.

Expect to pay a good amount but yo will be satisfied. Those are some of the shops that i know of off the top of my head.

3x440ex
02-09-2003, 02:15 PM
you may not beleive this but all i have is the stock bore with a full race port head, 3 angle valve job, and cam with an e series pro meg pipe and i can beat a 440 without a cam and head work, i can also beat stock banshees and raptors, i am dead even with piped raptors and banshees.
i used to have a 440 without the head work and just a cam, and in my opinion a full race port head with three angle valve job makes a bigger differnce than the 440 does.

anywhereEx
02-09-2003, 08:12 PM
I have heard that on the 416 it is not worth the $. I am going to go bigger later but that will be a year or so.
For those of you that have gotten head work done how much $ are we talking about?

Ralph
02-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 3x440ex
you may not beleive this but all i have is the stock bore with a full race port head, 3 angle valve job, and cam with an e series pro meg pipe and i can beat a 440 without a cam and head work, i can also beat stock banshees and raptors, i am dead even with piped raptors and banshees.
i used to have a 440 without the head work and just a cam, and in my opinion a full race port head with three angle valve job makes a bigger differnce than the 440 does.

i get real anoyed when people say they got a 3 angle valve job and how much better it made their quad. letme tell you something...

WHEN U BUY UR QUAD, STOCK IT ALREADY HAS A 3 ANGLE VALVE JOB!!! ITS NORMAL! SO UNLESS UR MOTOR IS OLD AND UR VALVES ARE STARTING TO ROUND OUT YOU DONT NEED A THREE ANGLE VALVE JOB, CAUSE U ALREADY HAVE 1.

sorry just had to vent

3x440ex
02-09-2003, 09:15 PM
all i know is it was 2 years old! it needed it done, so i did it..wheather the 3 angle valve job had anything to do with or not....who the **** knows!!!...my point is the head work made big difference.

rhandw69
02-10-2003, 10:38 AM
I am in the process of putting my motor back together, I sent my head off to Trinity Racing, and really have no complaints about theyre work. My little winter project is about done, so Ill let all know how it runs.

anywhereEx
02-10-2003, 05:20 PM
If you do not mind how much did it cost to get your head done and how long were you without it?

MX26
02-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Something that needs to be cleared up....

Boring does not always equal a better engine. The key to big HP gains is in the head and cylinder ports. A bigger piston gains you more bottom end and torque, which the 400EX already has plenty of. A good motor builder will tell you that a smaller motor is more reliable, and if built properly can produce the same HP number as a bigger bore.

I encourage you to get your head flowed, cylinder ported, and take the choke out of your carb before you go big-bore and see if that doesn't please you. I have seen a stock cylindered, ported, 10.8:1, MP Flow work, TC cam and Rev limiter spank an IMS 440 so many times it embarassing.

A bore job isn't worth it unless you're going to get all the other goodies that go along with it. If I were you, I'd opt for flow work, porting, a good cam, piston, and rev box before you go big bore.

0240099r1
02-10-2003, 07:10 PM
the reason for the intake to be rough is so the fuel does not stick to the ports walls therefor the exaust is as smooth as you can get it due to only gasses are exiting .........

Ralph
02-10-2003, 07:17 PM
very good info in this thread,

about prices.

ports can range from

50$ for a casual riding port or something to a
250$ Full race port...

anywhereEx
02-10-2003, 07:49 PM
I understand the importance of head work on a engine. I am just trying to see if it is worth the $ because so many people on here swear it is only good for big bores.

Currnetly I have removed the stock chock and ears on the inside of the carb, possibly more if I feel confident messing around in the carb. I am running a custom air box, k&n, ground header and white brothers slip on.

BadA$$440
02-10-2003, 08:52 PM
full race ports can cost around 300-400. it all depends on who does your work. Whoever you pick, talk to them first,and see if they are backed up with different work or something, if so, ask when a good time to send the head off. Unless you dont mind waiting then just send the head off right away

3x440ex
02-10-2003, 08:55 PM
mine was $500 for the port and valve job.

rhandw69
02-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by anywhereEx
If you do not mind how much did it cost to get your head done and how long were you without it?

I sent it off to Trinity Racing, if you dont count the time it took to get there, they have had it just a little over 2 weeks. They were done with it last Wednesday, which would make for about an exact 2 week work process. I didnt call them until this morning for payment, so they shipped it back today. If you look at theyre internet site it has a few different options for what port job you can have done. I searched and searched, and really Trinity was my last option, i tried, LRD, Holeshot racing, Powroll, MP Racing, Sparks, CT, and either no-one would answer emails (since I could never get through, or they just couldnt fit it in. My friend had his Raptor done by Trinity and really ran well down at FSWII this year.So far, everything has gone pretty well with theyre service. Nice people and havent given me the run around on anything. I basically took my already 416, with a WB slip on pipe, and changed a few things this winter. Got rid of the WB pipe, got a full system Yoshi, 39mm FCR, and now the Port work. Im still staying with the XR cam though. I think in time that maybe the next project with perhaps the HRC cam,,,but that can waite till another day.