PDA

View Full Version : What is your view on Amsoil?

m0t0xk1d
10-21-2010, 06:53 PM
What is your view on Amsoil? good or bad? ive heard very mixed reviews. I got sponsored by them and they want me to be a dealer and i could get some good a good price.

ZSK
10-21-2010, 07:05 PM
The only time that I've had an outright engine failure I was running Amsoil. Now, I've had my fair share of other engine troubles but the only outright failure was with Amsoil.

400exrider69
10-21-2010, 07:08 PM
i don't use it cause there no dealer near me but there sure is for klotz

have u used amsoil before since your sponsored by them

sunco
10-22-2010, 05:46 AM
I was talked into it for my diesel truck - cost $130 just for the oil. My truck gets serviced at the dealer - they said go to walmart buy the Ford motor oil & just change your oil as recomended. I believe that changing the oil more often is better than buying a premium oil. just use 20/50 - that to can be had at walmart. I know we r talking quads but its just a thought for you. cheap oil, change often & ride longer. You just can't beat clean oil in the motor

m0t0xk1d
10-22-2010, 06:25 AM
I personally have never used Amsoil myself. Thats why i wanted your opinions. Some people i know, swear by it, but there are some horror stories that ive heard from it also.

I change the oil after every race. That means there is one full day practice on saturday and then race day on sunday with maybe one practice thrown in there in the week. So its not like i never have clean oil in there.

The reason to this thread is because i coudl get dealer price plus 20% off on this stuff. Also I'm picking up a can am this weekend and the can am dealer we will be going to doesnt carry any good oils. Were trying to stay away from bel ray thumper. ive heard BAD things about them. We would like to use Motul but there isnt anybody around here that uses it

Fred55
10-22-2010, 06:40 AM
I would check out Shell Rotella T. Cheap and works great!

woodsman250r
10-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
The only time that I've had an outright engine failure I was running Amsoil. Now, I've had my fair share of other engine troubles but the only outright failure was with Amsoil.

Can you 100% prove that the outright engine failure was from running Amsoil? What exactly happened to the engine to cause it to fail that would be directly related to using Amsoil? I use it in both dirt bikes and my truck and have not had one single issue. I had about 100 hrs on my last top end on the 200 and the piston came out looking like new. I just don't give much credibility to your "claim" that Amsoil caused your engine to fail.

quadmom110
10-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Fred55

I second Rotella, it's cheap, works well, and you can get it almost any where.
I change my oil after every weekend race.
The best oil I ever used for the Honda Tranny other then the Honda oil.

slightlybent47
10-22-2010, 08:50 AM
There’s no way anyone can say 100% it was any oil that failed, and since they are giving you such a discount, figure out what your cost will be with the discount and see if you save any money. If you can save money using there oil then I would use it. If not then use whatever you have been using in the past. You are changing it so often that I don’t think it maters what oil you use. Clean oil is the best oil no mater who makes it.

trailrider894
10-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Fred55

I disagree with the buying the oil because its cheap. Most people who bought there quad new spent around $8,000-$11,000 dollars on there quad. When you spend that much money on something and you could be facing a $1500 or $2000 engine rebuild if you run a cheap oil, then why do people run cheap oil? I use Honda GN4 for my 400ex. I used Bel-Ray once with a new clutch and it causes the clutch to slip and burn the fibers. I used that cheap stuff in the old 450r i used to have, and it seized up. I have been using the GN4 (which was made and designed for this engine, and this engine was designed around this oil.) so why not spend the extra ten bucks on better oil and have that extra insurance.

Wasn't trying to jack the thread. Here is my answer, AMS makes good oil for trucks and stuff, and i use it in my trucks and my old muscle car. I received a sponsorship offer from AMS and declined it because i don't like how their oil reacts with wet bath clutches. I have seen pre-mature wear and the fibers burning on them from slipping on the quads i have rebuilt for people. Now, if you change the oil over to AMS make sure you flush out the whole system and get new clutch plates if you are going from a non-synthetic to synthetic oil. I have always stayed away from synthetics, because its not really even oil. lol Thats just my .02. I have a sponsorship with a company called Kal-Gard, and i had to explain to them why i couldn't use their oil, but only there cleaning products. They said they would be doing further re-search on that topic and would like to come out with an oil that is an ACTUAL Oil made for high HP racing atv's with Wet bath clutches. The best thing to do is call AMS, be honest and ask questions. You have a sponsorship with them which is a contract and when you have that, you must have a open relationship because you are essentially an investment of theres and a buisness partner.

wow... i made that kinda long and confusing... sorry about that. Hope that helps.

meankfx
10-22-2010, 10:02 AM
My dad had to replace an engine due to ams oil. He said when he tore it apart there was all kinds of hard sludge on everything. The guy bought it new and all hes ever put in it was ams.

trailrider894
10-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by meankfx
My dad had to replace an engine due to ams oil. He said when he tore it apart there was all kinds of hard sludge on everything. The guy bought it new and all hes ever put in it was ams.

thats not AMS thats engine builder failure... Oil should never sludge if properly maintained.

ZSK
10-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
Can you 100% prove that the outright engine failure was from running Amsoil? What exactly happened to the engine to cause it to fail that would be directly related to using Amsoil? I use it in both dirt bikes and my truck and have not had one single issue. I had about 100 hrs on my last top end on the 200 and the piston came out looking like new. I just don't give much credibility to your "claim" that Amsoil caused your engine to fail.

Wrist pin and crank bearings seized during a ride. I was running a 40:1 mixture. I switched to Yamalube after rebuliding and didn't have any other troubles in the next 100 or so hours before I traded the quad. These were fairly fresh bearings, not brand new, but had little use on them under 50 hours I'd say. I cannot 100% prove that Amsoil was the cause as the problem didn't replicate itself after switching.

Latemodel32
10-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by m0t0xk1d
What is your view on Amsoil? good or bad? ive heard very mixed reviews. I got sponsored by them and they want me to be a dealer and i could get some good a good price.

Did you get this sponsorship off hookit dot com ? If so i had the samething offered to me 2yrs ago when i raced.It looks like a good deal UNTIL you fig. in the shipping. Then its no cheaper then buying it at a local shop.I didnt use it.

Scottt89
10-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I have had AMSOIL in my 2004 F150 for the past 2years, I actually have the oil to change it again, just haven't done it yet. The oil is 25,000mile rated, I only have 23,000 on the truck since 2004, so I've probably only put 6000 miles on the Amsoil, if that. I'm going to change it on principal, but a friend and weekend wrencher/jeep enthusiast brought up a good point: You are within the mileage specs of the oil, and when did you last go to Walmart and see an expiration date on the oil. My truck has ran just like it did before I went to AMS Oil from 3000 mile Motorcraft oil changes. So I obviously trusted it again to change this time.

However, I don't use it in the bike just because I have always used Bel-Ray Gear Saver for the 2strokes and Klotz for the 4 strokes. I'd say as long as your equipment has no problems that could lead to failure before the Amsoil, give it a shot and form your own opinion. You could always put it in this once at normal price and decide on a sponsorship again some other time if it's worth it.

Canadian144
10-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I run it in my LTR450 without any issues, and have been for the past few months. I run the 0w-40 (or 0w-30, don't remember exactly). Also use their 2 stroke premix in my CR125.

01 250exman
10-22-2010, 05:01 PM
I run the saber premix in my banshee its an 01 the top end has never been replaced starts first kick and I lost count of how many times I have OVERHEATED it lol it just wont die, so yeah ams is the way to go!

m0t0xk1d
10-22-2010, 05:05 PM
yea i got sponsored from them on hookit. I havent really checked the prices exactly because the paper work is pretty confusing. im just trying to find a good oil for my new bike. i usually run honda hp4 in my 300 but now with my can am i dont really know what to run

chucked
10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I run their 0w40 in all my quads, love the stuff.

chucked
10-22-2010, 07:53 PM
But I should say I dont like any of their 2 stroke oil

m0t0xk1d
10-22-2010, 08:58 PM
0w40? that seems kind of thin? we have always run 20w50. that has always seems to run the best with spectro oils.

quadrider2112
10-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I run ams 10-40 synthetic motorcycle oil in mine and have for a long time with no issues. All my friends run it too Good stuff

But i told my friend with a yz450f bout it and it made his clutches slip. But then i found out that he had used the 10-40 synthetic car oil. It doesnt say car oil it just says synthetic 10-40. The right oil says synthetic motorcycle oil 10-40.

1fastR
10-22-2010, 09:39 PM
run it in my motorcycle, has 16,000 miles, no problem yet but it cost about $70 once a year to change with oil filter. running the 20w50