PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem

trx250rforlife
10-21-2010, 02:25 PM
i was riding the old are today and i was going to do a second gear launch dump the clutch nothing was there look down ...... the bolt that holds my primary sproket broke off half on the ground and half in the case wht can i do thanks guys need help asap

hartwill
10-21-2010, 02:32 PM
either weld a nut on the bolt or use an easy out. I'd try welding the nut on there first for a few reasons.1 welding is gonna apply heat and help break loose any rust, 2 sometimes its hard to get an easy out centered, 3 if your easy out breaks you won't be able to drill it out so you'll have to weld a nut on it any ways. hope this helps.

Dave83
10-21-2010, 03:03 PM
More than likely the piece thats still in there isnt tight.You can probaly use a pick and a screwdriver to get it.

rubbersdown
10-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Dave83
More than likely the piece thats still in there isnt tight.You can probaly use a pick and a screwdriver to get it.

thats the case with most broken bolts, just try and use a pick n driver first and work it around. If not then try and weld on it if its not too deep.

trx250rforlife
10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
kk thanks guys really apriciate it would honda carry that bolt and i wouldint be able to weld the head its to far in

10-21-2010, 04:05 PM
All the above suggestion work 98% of the time…

For the other 2%’s, the ones “only God could get out” as Neil likes to say, take a small (1/16” Diameter) Carbide burr and very carefully (with patience) make a slot in the center “of what is left of the bolt down in the shaft” deep enough to engage a screw driver blade…the rest is obvious.

Carlos.

slamdak8782
10-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Sometimes a small chisel and hammer work if the pick idea doesn't work

red88r
10-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I have had good luck at work with a set of left hand drill bits...main thing is to drill as close to middle of the bolt as possible.

wilkin250r
10-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by red88r
I have had good luck at work with a set of left hand drill bits...main thing is to drill as close to middle of the bolt as possible.

This is the single BEST tool I've ever found to help get out broken bolts, a set of left-hand drill bits.

For me, I usually use a dremel and a small carbide burr to put a dent right in the center of the bolt, that makes it really easy to center the drill bit.

The bolt quite often comes out with just the drilling, or an easy-out once you get the hole drilled.

norcalduner
10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
If there is enough of the remaining bolt sticking out of the case, you can try using vise grips to extract it out.

10-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Agreed on the left-hand drill bits; “the bolt quite often comes out with just the drilling, or an easy-out once you get the hole drilled”…

Carlos.