PDA

View Full Version : What To Built For Mx And Ice??????

jpfmotors
10-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Just got done building a 400ex that I got cheap to sell and make some money. I am looking to build something that I can race mx and then in the winter run some local ice races. I am looking eather at another 450 and bore and strock it or a 250r with a big bore kit or some things I need something with a lot of power for the ice racing. If anyone has any ideas let me know what you think. I know power wise a stock 450 with a cam is not fast enough so I need something a bit more thanks for the ideas

DnB_racing
10-22-2010, 06:04 AM
for the two types of racing, your running two different setups completly! for the Ice you want a four stroke bored and stroked, for mx you want a quicker reving machine,
you have to decide which you will be running the most or get two quads

if your only running the ice for fun everynow and then, you could get away with a good 4 stroke build with port and a high compression piston, and do a cam and gear change for the two different styles

jpfmotors
10-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I am probubly doing more ice than mx so i think a bored and stroked 450r is the way to go should i still use a higher comp. piston. I would assume that I would still like at lest 11.1 comp. that why i can still run pump gas.

DnB_racing
10-22-2010, 10:12 AM
do they run on the ice in mass?

im in the process of rebuilding mine now! 06 trx450 im going to try the crf head on it, ill be sending my head to get ported but in the mean time im going to see how the crf head does!! from what Ive been seeing is its much better flower without any mods,

were have you been riding lately, I took my 250 out to winchendon last weekend

jpfmotors
10-22-2010, 11:12 AM
They run every sunday in sturbridge mass from the first sunday till the last day in march depending on the ice conditions. you should come out it really nice racing on the ice you get so much traction. i have raced the last to years. I normally ride in palmer or southbridge I also go to franklin forest some times. I race in a local xc series the NECC we are racing this sat in eastford ct. very close to southbridge mass

mx Eli
10-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I have a buddy running a built crf motor in his hybrid. he had a 480 kit in it then took it out nd went to a 450. it ran faster WITHOUT the big bore kit becuase it could rev faster

DnB_racing
10-22-2010, 02:33 PM
I agree that the big bore stroked deosnrt rev as quick, but for the Ice you really dont want a quick rev, you want to be able to go into a corner and power out in the same gear