PDA

View Full Version : Grabbitt Tool?

4x4 AG
10-21-2010, 06:06 AM
I have been reading through my service manual preparing to tear my engine apart for inspection and service. I was reading through the clutch removal section and it mentioned needing a "Grabbitt Tool". It named out a specific place to purchase them, but I was unsure if they were still a company.

Is that what they are still called? Where can I get one? Or can you use something else instead?

Thanks again. Sorry for all the rookie questions.

atvmxr
10-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Im assuming you mean a tool to hold the clutch basket still so you can remove the clutch nut?

take a couple metal disks (that you will not be reusing), install them in the basket and then vise clamp the metal disks together through one of the finger holes on the basket - viola clutch basket holder

4x4 AG
10-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Ok, any other inventions? I am not planning on replacing the clutches if i don't need to. However I know that I need to get it off so that I can work on the kickstarter.

SilverLake250R
10-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Probably not the best for it, but mine always comes right off with an impact without anything holding it...

4x4 AG
10-21-2010, 09:13 AM
yah, i found on the internet where someone said they use a big screwdriver to hold the basket and an impact. But i though that sounded a little rough on that area of the engine.

Looking for other input on how folks get this off.

Thanks.

86 Quad R
10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
take one of the old style tarp straps(remove the S hooks) that is long enough(when stretched) to wrap around the inner hub a couple of times and allows the ends to escape through the basket "fingers" that can be held in one hand. this will comfortably hold the inner hub while impacting the nut off.

http://c0000368.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/rubber-tarp-strap-21in-natural-rubber-bundle-10-LRG.jpg

SilverLake250R
10-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 4x4 AG
yah, i found on the internet where someone said they use a big screwdriver...
Thanks.

DONT do this. I broke off one of the studs on the inner hub once doing just that...

86 Quad R
10-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by SilverLake250R
DONT do this. I broke off one of the studs on the inner hub once doing just that...

that sux!! sometimes we have to learn stuff the hard way ehhh?

wilkin250r
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
What you need is a clutch holding tool, obviously.

Motion Pro sells one for about $30, Tusk sells one for about $15. They can also be used to hold the flywheel while removing the flywheel nut.

http://www.motionpro.com/images/items/08-0008.jpg

The only key is, when you're using it, do NOT clamp it really hard on the clutch hub like a regular set of vise grips. It doesn't need to be tight, it just needs to keep the hub from spinning.

JohnBeton
10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
For my 250r's I've got an old set of clutchplates. I took 2 fiber and 2 steel plates, drilled 2 holes and put a bolt with nu through the holes so they are attached to each other.
This is (for me) the best clutch holder utility ever :)

If I don't have old plates or if I want to reuse the ones installed, I always use an old towel which I press between the inner and outer clutchhub. I press it real tight in the theeth of the innerhub with a flat screwdiver.
Then I use an impact gun. Works perfect for me.

4x4 AG
10-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
What you need is a clutch holding tool, obviously.

Motion Pro sells one for about $30, Tusk sells one for about $15. They can also be used to hold the flywheel while removing the flywheel nut.

http://www.motionpro.com/images/items/08-0008.jpg

The only key is, when you're using it, do NOT clamp it really hard on the clutch hub like a regular set of vise grips. It doesn't need to be tight, it just needs to keep the hub from spinning.

This is the picture they call a "grabbitt tool" in the clymers manual. that is all they called it. So motion Pro and Tusk make them.

That is what i was looking for. Thanks.

86 Quad R
10-21-2010, 12:32 PM
just be keeerfull when using those. ;)

wilkin250r
10-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
just be keeerfull when using those. ;)

Aside from squeezing the hub too hard, what problems do you know of with these tools?

The clutch plates and fibers bolted together with some sort of leverage bar on them is by far the best method, but this clutch holding tool is easily the second best and safest method I've ever found.

86 Quad R
10-21-2010, 02:31 PM
im juss saying, when holding the inner hub with the tool to make sure all is well before hitting the impact. whether its removing the nut or installing. not saying its a bad tool or anything. im juss saying that the operater should mind his P's and Q's :cool:

10-21-2010, 04:25 PM
One issue with a “grabbitt tool” is the jaws don’t fit properly into the center clutch groves and will sometimes slip and leave burs in the groves. Take the jaws and grind them down to fully engage in the center clutch groves…much better.

I agree 100% one of the best methods is an old set of clutch plates & fibers and vice grips.

Carlos.

wilkin250r
10-21-2010, 06:10 PM
im juss saying, when holding the inner hub with the tool to make sure all is well before hitting the impact.

With an IMPACT GUN, yes, I agree.

I do mine with a regular socket wrench, very little chance of things flying off.

speedfreek
10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by SilverLake250R
mine always comes right off with an impact without anything holding it... Same here.

I've been working on bikes for a long time and never had a "grabbit tool".

Hold the socket tight with your hand when you use it. This will prevent the hub to freewheel and the nut will always come off.

Remember to flatten out the locking washer so the nut will spin.

rageatvlawson8
10-22-2010, 11:49 AM
if your using a impact its even easier then all other ideas in here. No other tools required but 1 finger. LEAVE all the fibers and steels in the basket....hold the inner hub with your thumb and basket with your other fingers if ya want....hit it with impact and the clutches will hold enough tension to break nut loose....trust me, i do it every day on all motors

Lasher
10-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I have always just put a penny between the gears to hold the basket in place...if I am thinking of the right thing.

Destroys the penny, but not the gears...total costs 2 cents. One to remove the basket and one to put it on.

ARC_89TRX250R
10-27-2010, 03:05 PM
I agree with the pennies, make sure there old copper ones works like a charm...

This is what I use to hold the inner basket... get some old steel plates slap them together and vice grip them, then wrap a rag around the vice grips to insure no damage to the outer basket... then your all set! :blah:

86 Quad R
10-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by ARC_89TRX250R
I agree with the pennies, make sure there old copper ones works like a charm...

This is what I use to hold the inner basket... get some old steel plates slap them together and vice grip them, then wrap a rag around the vice grips to insure no damage to the outer basket... then your all set! :blah:

thats cool and all but i'd suggest that a fiber be used in between two steels or vise versa to effectively do this technique. juss my .02

ARC_89TRX250R
10-27-2010, 03:12 PM
thats cool and all but i'd suggest that a fiber be used in between two steels or vise versa to effectively do this technique. juss my .02

Yea great idea! Ill do that next time