PDA

View Full Version : installing LED lights

sangheraent
10-20-2010, 08:10 PM
well I was thinking of putting led lights on my bike for some dune riding. I was thinking of going to the cr250 ignition very soon so you can see I have an issue.

I race my bike mx so I dont need lights all the time I only need lights that run for 2-4 hours at a single time while I am at the dunes. Most of the year they will not be on my bike.

So an idea that I have gotten is to run a 6" LED bar with an atv battery mounted under the seat. I would need to create a bracket to put a battery there and run a fuse and switch.

Now what I want to know is if anyone knows how long it would take for a 6" led light bar (24watts) to drain a regular sized atv battery.

I dont care about weight on the dunes and I want super bright lights halagons wouldnt cut it.

hartwill
10-20-2010, 08:37 PM
your definatly on the right track. leds are far brighter than other bulbs and use much less energy. I guess all you can do is try it and find out. let me know what leds you use I am interested.

sangheraent
10-20-2010, 11:32 PM
my plan is to just run a normal quad battery and charge it at night or depending on how long they last every other night when I do go to the dunes. ill give it a test soon or try to find out some more information. big investment on a maybe though.
the light I want to run is this one

http://www.visionxwholesale.com/products/Vision-X-XIL%252d80-XMITTER-6%22-Euro-Beam-LED-Light-Bar.html

wilkin250r
10-21-2010, 07:53 AM
It's actually fairly simple, just a little math (remember that algebra you never thought you'd use outside of school?)

Anything light or any accessory on any quad will be designed for a 12v system.

Power (watts) is calculated as voltage times current. (in electronics, current is shown as "I"), so P=V*I

A little algebra will give you I=P/V

So 24 watts, at 12v, means that it's running off 2 amps.

Most small batteries (like ATV batteries) will have an amp-hour rating on them. For example, the stock replacement for a 400EX is a Yuasa YTX9-BS, which has a 8 amp-hour capacity. That means it can provide 1 amp for 8 hours, or 2 amps for 4 hours (or something fairly close to that, it's not perfectly exact).

Get the amp-hour rating for whichever battery you're looking at, and your can easily calculate it.

sangheraent
10-21-2010, 12:43 PM
well to make it cheaper on myself I was just going to run the battery out of my utility quad when I needed the lights. And lucky for me my utility quad battery is a 14 amp hour battery. However its dead right now I need to replace it. I migth order up a slightly larger battery with 20 amp hours or so if possible. That will give me lights for almost an entire dune trip. 10 hours of night riding is far more then I can do. even 7 hours with a 14amp is more then plenty. best part about it my lights will work when my quad is off.

10-21-2010, 04:53 PM
A few years ago, we took four 6 volt Lithium Polymer (LiPo) RC car batteries, taped 2 of them in series and then the two sets in parallel to make 12 volts. The battery set are rechargeable and last 4.25 hours between charges running a 4” LED bar.

We used two sets of batteries to run over 8 hours during night drags…light weight, small package and worked great.

Carlos.

ARC_89TRX250R
10-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Check these out,

Cheap and LED goodness, Ill be putting a set on my ride soon,

Ebay Item #330467421398

And you'll want a battery that is deep cycle, I agree with acecarlos Li-Po is the only way to go if your going to be using batteries, but you need a special charger but rc stuff has made them cheap now

Cheers

sangheraent
10-22-2010, 04:58 PM
i did some ebay searching and found these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120633684446&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So I bought a set why not? its $30 bucks for the good of 250r owners if they work thats a good alternative for lights if they dont ill put them on my utility quad's snow plow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160417825787&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I bought these ones too they were cheap and seemed bright in other auctions so I thought what the hell why not?

I do plan on going with the vision X stuff but I would love to see if there is a cheaper solution so I figured I would pull the trigger and do some testing myself. When I get these in I will test them on the utility quad(its DC), I have awsome trail tech lights on my banshee to compare these with and I will take pictures.