PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the rear spring??

TL_2ENV
10-19-2010, 06:28 PM
I recently purchased a 400ex, the guy was heavier i guess so he replaced the spring with some "fatboy" spring. Anyway he included the factory spring and i need to put it on badly. The quad doesnt even sit down at all when i get on it, and its a hell of a ride lol. Never took the actual spring off a shock before, do i need any special tools etc?

TL_2ENV
10-20-2010, 09:56 PM
33 views and no one can tell me how?

CJM
10-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Need special tools, most likely your dealer or a competent shop can change it out otherwise your gonna need to send it out.

SpasticR450
10-20-2010, 11:39 PM
The spring on the shock needs to be compressed so you can take the bottom out. I could do it with just my hands on ZPS and SSD but not normal shocks at less the preload rings can be twisted up far enough such as on YFZ450 shocks. I guess places rent spring compressors out for cars. You put a down payment and when you bring the spring compressor back you get all or most your money back. I think you can buy them to for around $40.

TL_2ENV
10-21-2010, 08:59 PM
ya im familiar with spring compressors for cars, but car springs are quite a bit bigger im not even sure theyd work on a quad, the coils are already pretty close to each other. This sounds kind of like a PITA almost easier to buy a whole new shock and just bolt it on

honda400ex2003
10-21-2010, 09:27 PM
break out a couple of ratchet straps :D just be careful with it. lol steve

ps. i am just kidding and do this at your own risk. i dont want to see any missing fingers or an eye out so i cant condone this behavior on a family site. lol :devil: steve

SpasticR450
10-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Could always just cut the spring in half if you dont want to save the spring I done that before. It's not going to hurt you just watch your hands. That's the most simple way. But then again will you be able to get the other spring back on...

I bet you could easly find some one willing to just trade you shocks.

dustin_j
10-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Don't listen to any of these guys, they evidently haven't messed with an ATV shock before. Use a punch or large screwdriver and a hammer. Loosen the top jam nut (all the way to the top). You can now loosen the spring retaining nut; you may still need the punch. Then, remove the bolts from each end of the shock, and clamp the upper shock eyelet into a bench vice. You should now see how to remove the bottom spring retainer (2 half plates hold it in). Put the stock spring in, and tighten the spring nut until it touches the spring. Find a friend to help with measurements for the next step.

Adjust spring preload based on sag measurements. Lift rear tires off the ground and have friend measure from top of axle (straight up) to a bolt/spot on the subframe. Then, stand on the footpegs and have the friend measure the same distance. The difference should be 4" for very aggressive riding, and 5" for smoother riding.

If you want to get rid of the spring that's on there, I'll pay shipping and a little extra (depending on what info you can provide). Let me know if you have any questions.

Dustin

f4iracer
10-22-2010, 12:44 PM
yeah, what dustin said

I've removed my crf 50 spring and put an hd spring in it and all you have to do is back out the adjusting nut.