PDA

View Full Version : average disassembly time?

hack
10-19-2010, 04:32 PM
i'm going to paint my frame. how long on average does it take you all to tear down and put back together your quad?

Pipeless416
10-19-2010, 05:03 PM
way too quickly because of so much experience :o

4reeds
10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Tear down- couple hours. Clean,paint,polish,assemble-1month. Oh ya, painting is a bad Idea.The first bolt you tighten and you see your awesome paint job chip.You'll want to cry.The money and time spent on it you will wish you would have powdercoated.

CJM
10-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Dont even bother painting it unless your going to have an autobody tech paint it for you using thick automotive paint. Powder coating is a much better idea, it holds up much better.

Personally speaking I myself rather it be ugly and go fast than look all fancy and junk. Then you worry if you scratch, dent, break, bend something.

hack
10-19-2010, 05:51 PM
well i'm painting with spray on truck bed liner. the finish is just like pwder coating and i'ts durable - i've used it on a bunch of things

Scro
10-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by hack
well i'm painting with spray on truck bed liner. the finish is just like pwder coating and i'ts durable - i've used it on a bunch of things

I've seen that done before. It will hold up as good as powdercoat. The only place where it causes trouble is the thickness. It can causes fitment issues with motor mounts, a-arm mounts, etc., which can be avoided by taping it off. But, it does look good and is different.

CJM
10-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Yes, that will work. Just make sure you prep really well or it will come off.

SpasticR450
10-20-2010, 11:55 PM
I did it many times don't no how long it takes but not long at all if you did it a few times.

rubbersdown
10-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Yah you get faster every time. I actually did time myself about 5 years ago when tearing down a banshee for PC. From the time I rolled it into my shop and grabbed a wrench it took me a hair over 50 min but still less than an hour to completely take it down to bare frame for PC. I know that seems unreasonably fast but I have built about...
5- banshees
8- 250r's
3- 400ex's
15- other random polarises, warriors, blasters...and things of that such.
not to mention over 10- MX dirt bikes
The more you do the faster you are!
If only there was still money to be made in building and selling atv's and dirt bikes. oh well, now I have to sit at my computer and just talk about the good ol days lol.

hack
10-21-2010, 11:52 AM
under an hour?! dang man. i'm going on 4+ hours and i'm not done yet! then again i've had issues with bolts stripping. and now, because i must be blind, i can't find the master link on the chain. gah

Pipeless416
10-21-2010, 11:57 AM
under an hour?! dang man. i'm going on 4+ hours and i'm not done yet! then again i've had issues with bolts stripping. and now, because i must be blind, i can't find the master link on the chain. gah

do you still have the OEM chain?

hack
10-21-2010, 12:33 PM
yessur

SpasticR450
10-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
Yah you get faster every time. I actually did time myself about 5 years ago when tearing down a banshee for PC. From the time I rolled it into my shop and grabbed a wrench it took me a hair over 50 min but still less than an hour to completely take it down to bare frame for PC. I know that seems unreasonably fast but I have built about...
5- banshees
8- 250r's
3- 400ex's
15- other random polarises, warriors, blasters...and things of that such.
not to mention over 10- MX dirt bikes
The more you do the faster you are!
If only there was still money to be made in building and selling atv's and dirt bikes. oh well, now I have to sit at my computer and just talk about the good ol days lol.

Yeah it's only around a hour for me to.

Pipeless416
10-21-2010, 12:50 PM
yessur

there's no master link on the chains from the factory.. oddly enough. you'll have to pull the swingarm bolt to get it off if you haven't done it already.

SpasticR450
10-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
there's no master link on the chains from the factory.. oddly enough. you'll have to pull the swingarm bolt to get it off if you haven't done it already.

Or un bolt the sprocket.

rubbersdown
10-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Yah wait till you have done 20 or 30 of them, you will get it down to around 45 min for a full strip down. I would just have the quad on a lift and have 2 ratchets with a 10mm and 8mm sockets on them and had 2 impacts, 1 with a 12mm and 1 with a 14mm socket on it. zip zip zip, smack the parts with a dead blow hammer and they come right off. Plus it helps everything I have built was from here in AZ so I dont have the problems with rust freezing my bolts and what not. Everything tends to come off quite easy here.

Pipeless416
10-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by SpasticR450
Or un bolt the sprocket.

no.

honda400ex2003
10-21-2010, 03:23 PM
if you need a new one cut it off. otherwise pipeless(mike) has it hit, gotta take the swinger bolt out. steve

Pipeless416
10-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
if you need a new one cut it off. otherwise pipeless(mike) has it hit, gotta take the swinger bolt out. steve

yea, i guess SLOW doesn't understand that it goes around the swinger bolt.. oh well, a bit of comedic relief is okay sometimes. :p

honda400ex2003
10-21-2010, 03:28 PM
he is a bit slow so i guess we will let it slide from time to time. lol good laugh anyway when i read to just take the sprocket off. :blah: steve

Pipeless416
10-21-2010, 03:34 PM
haha we're back to the good old days now. on a serious note, i think the first time i completely tore mine down it took about 3 hours to take it down to frame/ subframe and organized. assembly probably has about a full day, including greasing everything, and cleaning parts. everytime i reassemble now, it could be done in a few hours if i didn't clean every speck of dirt off. i think i might tear down over thanksgiving break so it's all pretty for the trip in december.

honda400ex2003
10-21-2010, 03:45 PM
lol i have never had mine completely down. my swinger bolt is seized in so it can stay till next spring when i replace the bearings and all in the swinger. lol they are pretty bad now lol. steve

SpasticR450
10-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
no.

LMAO wow haha my bad. I don't know what the hell I was thinking lol.

hack
10-22-2010, 04:34 PM
well today i got it all completely apart. i sanded some parts down to the bare metal, abut all of it was scratched up pretty good, degreasd, cleaned, then used paint thinner to clean the remaining chemicals off.
it also got it's first layer of self etching priner. tomo, i'll start the first layer of paint, then bake it.

just incase anyone is wanting pics:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=2099700&id=1215460995
it should let you view without being a friend.

jwr689s
12-06-2010, 08:23 PM
What did you do to the motor?...paint? powdercoat? It looks good!