PDA

View Full Version : So what do i do now??

born2ride14
10-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Ok so saturday i crashed and had to be lifeflighted to the hospital. I had 1st place and the last turn the front tire lost its bead shifting my weight and caused me to flip a couple of times and the wheel landed on my chest giving me 3 broken ribs and a collopsed lung. I barley made it. But now all im thinking about is willl i be able to ride Again i have feeling my parents wont let me ride any more. This is me 2nd bad wreck in the past 2.5 months. I love riding anl i also love working on quads. I dont no what to say if my parents wont let me ride again .. Im still n the hospital , what would you do would u take the risk or find another hobby

OutlawBill
10-19-2010, 07:59 AM
first talk to Mom and Dad and say what you said here. Talk to Dad first Mom will say no more because you are her little baby boy.

chucked
10-19-2010, 08:29 AM
If I were you I would seriously reconsider the hobby. No sense killing youself

derekhonda
10-19-2010, 09:22 AM
I agree, reconsider. Perhaps you could pit for a guy and open up a little shop to help you get your fix, but as far as riding and racing goes you are probably pushing the envelope.

Black Sheep
10-19-2010, 09:31 AM
My parents were against me from day one. When I wrecked and got hurt It did not stop me. Neither did they. Riding is who I am still to this day at 42. That is what you have to decide for yourself. No one can make that decision for you. That is a part of growing up. When you get involved in this sport you have to realize that EVERY time you get on your Bike, Trike, Or Quad that you are putting your life on the line. Ask yourself..."is the risk worth the reward" too many people think this sport is safe and undermine the danger involved. It is a dangerous sport that is only as safe as the person operating the machine.

You did not mention safety gear. Were you wearing a chest protector?

You said your tire popped off the bead? During a race? Vehicle maintenance is a very important part of being safe. I have seen many people more worried about paint and graphics over a mechanically sound machine. Race bikes need more attention as they are usually pushed to the limits. What condition were your tires/wheels in? I don't race quads (I race trikes) but if I did, I would absolutely have beadlocks on my front wheels. I watched a friend of mine break his femur when a rear tire popped its bead. True they are expensive, but hospital visits are waaaay more expensive financially, physically, and mentally.

ZSK
10-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Do you ride any XC at all?

born2ride14
10-19-2010, 10:40 AM
No havnt ridden xc but thereis no series for it here in fl

blaster99
10-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Well my opinion is evaluate the crashes you have had in the past 2.5 months. What caused them? Riding out of control? Equipment failure? fatigue? If it was riding out of control, take it down a notch. You don't need to go balls out all the time. If it was equipment failure, pick up on maintenance. Make sure you prep the bike entirely before you race so nothing bad can happen because of equipment failure.

rooster300ex
10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Don't race. just be a weekend warrior and take it easy and get on it every now and then.

slightlybent47
10-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by blaster99
Well my opinion is evaluate the crashes you have had in the past 2.5 months. What caused them? Riding out of control? Equipment failure? fatigue? If it was riding out of control, take it down a notch. You don't need to go balls out all the time. If it was equipment failure, pick up on maintenance. Make sure you prep the bike entirely before you race so nothing bad can happen because of equipment failure.

I agree^^^^

This is what I preach to all recreational riders and even racers.

Never ride over your skill level and never ride over the limits of your machine.

You can ride safely and still have lots of fun, just know your limits and ride at your level. Pushing your self to far and to fast will in most cases will get you hurt or killed, you don’t have anything to prove to anyone and no one cares weather you jump all the big jumps or are the fastest one out there. It’s about having fun and staying in shape and meeting all the great people in the sport.

Also don’t skimp on parts and always check and recheck all the components on you bike before you ride and after, I know it’s a pain in the *** to keep checking everything but that’s what it takes to do this as safely as possible.

hondariderdylan
10-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by born2ride14
I love riding and i also love working on quads.

Hey if racing gets pushed out of the picture, the things always break. Someone has to fix em'.
Last i saw it was around 75$ an hour labor at dealers, work your way up, there is a ton of money to be made without having to risk life and limb racing. Hell, open your own race shop if you think your up to it.

good luck.

mildtowildracin
10-19-2010, 06:30 PM
idr how he got hurt the first time, i think he was actually on bike. but he dosent ride out of control, and he loves workin on his bikes, and his are always cheched and re checked before each ride, i wish my bike wouldnt have broke earlier that moto so hopefully i cuda been there a little earlier than i was. but jesse get better soon. that win was for you bruh bruh

416exfreak
10-21-2010, 05:29 AM
Sounds like the first thing you should do is get properly healed up before you worry about racing again..

Go through all your PT.. I've got a bad shoulder that needs surgery again now bc I didnt go to PT and do my excercises :/

Once you get healed up, talk to pops about it and see what he says.. if he understands what it means to you he'll say yes. He'll ask you to tone it down a notch, but he should say yes..

Mom won't be happy one bit though, mine doesnt even like me cranking my 440 anymore.:devil:

bbender85
10-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
...Go through all your PT.. I've got a bad shoulder that needs surgery again now bc I didnt go to PT and do my excercises :/

ding ding!! i broke both my arms this summer and made PT a religion... people are amazed at the mobility i have and the relatively short time it took to get where i am.