PDA

View Full Version : National Class Interest: Stk Appearing 90cc CVT Class aka Super Stock 90cc

bulldogfallon
10-19-2010, 07:07 AM
In Fl, we have a large consistent turn out in our Stock Appearing classes and I thought that if this type of class could be introduced at a national level that more families could get involved in the sport.

I spoke with Rich Hetrick this am and we both feel that this could really be a solid class to add to the event.

This post is meant to help gauge the interest of potential families and not to create and uproar or any fights among groups with various opinions.

Some of the basics behind the class:
OEM Cylinder
OEM Pipe
OEM A-Arm and Swingarm
OEM Carb Size
OEM Ignition
Stock Appearing from the outside

Mods Allowed:
Porting
Reed Cage Upgrade
Chain Tensioners
Air Filter
CVT Parts
Body Parts-Nerfs, Wheels Foot Brake Etc

Aftermarket Shocks--Stock Mounting points??? Who knows...I guess that would be up to the participants feedback, but either way would be fine if the riders showed up and were safe, while keeping the class affordable.

Rich and I will pursue this class with the AMA and promoters if the feedback is positive and enough interest is shown.

If you can pass this thread on to parents that would potentially be interested that would be great...

Also please share any positive things that your tracks do to help maintain a consistent turn out.

No matter what the opinions are...this is an attempt to create more interest in the sport and to make an affordable class that is more competitive for the average rider and family. A class to get a taste of racign without the huge investment and the need "to know the secrets" to go fast.

Hope this threads finds everyone well and that it enables a lot of good feedback

Thank you for your time

Gary

LT80
10-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Hmmm, old Super Stock rules. :)
Only things I see is the "stock pipe" and "stock shock".
As most know, a eton/kasea/etc stock pipes don't work well at all.
This is what started the whooplaw in the SS class when the Kaseas/etc came out.

Shocks: tough call! As soon as the kid hits a rut they call it unsafe.
I considered a "no jump" type of rule for this type of stock class to help out with the stock shocks.
In the 90's, our kids had to learn how to ride with the stock shocks. All of a sudden they are a safety issue.
Hmmmmmmmm.....Most all of the ones that did learn to ride w/stock shocks went on to be amature champions and pro riders.

dblacks
10-19-2010, 08:22 AM
NEATV had a 90 Limited class for a few years that was basically the same, biggest problem is we can make the engines far to powerful for the suspension......

It is a great class for someone to get into that just doesnt have the funds to buy the aftermarket suspension and motor upgrades

could be a perfect class for someone that happens to be near a few of the national events and they have a competative class they can run.

JIM GRACE
10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
90 stock class has been talked about locally as well.
It does give a family the chance to get on the podium that would normally come in next to last

zach R 7x
10-19-2010, 10:34 AM
This something that would be behind us but I feel if you want to run a stock class and pull more kids in you run it stock period.

You can still wrap alot of money in the mods that you listed. I think a pure stock class would bring in more new kids to the races.

I have raced stock cars ,drag cars and now quads and believe me, once you give somebody one mod they will want more and more before you know it, this class is as fast as the mod class's .

The apex would be the hands down choice for this class for sure, it would force drr to step up on it 's stock package.

jake55
10-19-2010, 10:58 AM
straight off the showroom floor to the race track. only allow some saftey mods, teather strap, nerfs and bumpers, etc.
manufactures might step up quality a bit if this happens. what wins on sunday, sells on monday!!!!!

thequadfather+2
10-19-2010, 01:06 PM
yep, bone stock class....The only change is in the CVT where you can change rollers, belts, ect.

We rode stock shocks on our 70 for over a year, safety?....Thats like saying my brakes are a safety issue, I keep over shooting the turn, must be the brakes fault:D

True stock class, no mods...Only tunning stuff like rollers, belts, jetting.

Safety changes like the axle, nerfs, kill tether and bumpers. Most quads, like the Mach 1, already come with those added.

I think the only way to hold cost down and get folks involved is to make it a true stock class.

JMO

EthansDad
10-19-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't think that's a great idea. has merit and understand your reasons, but don't think it will work well. here's why:

*stk class enforcement - there is none. forget what the rules will be (can do this NOT that, ect), it does not matter. the ATVA has no way in the tech inspection to determine what's legal without protest city in effect. We've run stk class for a couple years now and I for one can't wait to get away from it. biggest pain in the butt you can imagine.

*class bloat - aren't there something like four 90cc classes right now? granted, they are all mod classes to some degree, but various ages ranges, bike types, mod levels, etc. do we need a 5th?

*negative rebound on net new racers - so if the big idea behind this is to bring new racers (which we need), how many will stick around when rules aren't consistently enforced? stk limited (like for the 50s) is pretty straight forward rules. stock appearing has more "wiggle room" for performance betterment, and I don't think it would actually allow for a local kid with a stock bike to show up and run with the pack. maybe I'm wrong there, but from what I've seen in the 50 class, I doubt it.

*if you do a true stock class like one suggested, you again have no way to really know which bike has been ported and which has not (until the gate drops). also, from a guy that has run a bone stock 50, they break a lot of parts that are better off being upgraded. it cost more to run a stock bike for longer periods of time than a mod bike.

I'm up for supporting some sort of change to the sport, we need it. we definitely need to attract more of the local kids / average racers. class changes could do that, but so could a bit of local promotion, or a ton of other ideas that was kicked around a couple of months ago on this forum.

-EA

FISH ON!
10-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Lots of good points.......... We raced one MX Nat and were amazed how costly it was compared to what we race (GNCC.) This fee that fee......dang it man! You have to have a lot of bucks in the motor to be competitive so a stock class would be nice but as it was mentioned, enforcement is the major problem. GNCC has a limited class that may work well for MX Nats. Doesn't make sense to me to port and change reed cage but stay OEM on the pipe and carb. GNCC limited class is no porting but clutch and pipe changes only allowed. Stock shocks on the newer models will be OK unless you ride a DRR, the Apex LT stock shocks are really pretty good in comparison. Enforcement is key and unfortunately the enforcement comes from the parents who put up the bucks in protest. I know we would run a few more MX Nats if our GNCC bike was a little more competitive.

nutech
10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Sounds awesome. Sign us up. We run 3 different 70/90 apex 2 with stock shocks one with motowoz shock, shocks can get expensive but have seen the safety value of them. Enforcement big problem. Unless you can tech them like snowmobiles. Thank you Gary and Les for all your support. Great asset to the sport.

thequadfather+2
10-19-2010, 08:56 PM
"from a guy that has run a bone stock 50, they break a lot of parts that are better off being upgraded. it cost more to run a stock bike for longer periods of time than a mod bike."

Hey Eric we cant all ride like Ethan.....The way he rides he's gonna beat up most quads. Most stock class riders dont ride their stuff that hard.

The problem is that you would want to see local riders and beginers in the class and some dad will buy an extra quad for that class just so he can run up front. If the rider runs 90cvt, 90 mod, super mini and shows up at the gate on their new stock Apex it's going to turn away the very people you are trying to help.

I do agree that we have several 90 classes to choose from. You never really know what kind of turn-out you will get until it's offered.

What about a beginner class where you only get one year in and if you rode the nats the year before you are not allowed. A true beginner class. They come in compete with other new-comers and have a blast.....they will be ready to move to the other classes the following year and the class will have all the new up and coming talent each year.

Coley'sdad#8
10-20-2010, 07:22 AM
There is always a good turnout and a good competitive gate on our local series in the 90 stock appearing class. I think the entry level option vs. the building of a 10K cvt bike is something that would be good to offer. After a year or so in that class they will probably decide to go to the mod. class anyway after they have gained experience or won the lottery:D
As for the criteria, I say all stock appearing as Gary stated, stock a-arms, swinger ect. but in safety eyes I would allow the axle and shocks to be aftermarket as long as they retain the stock mounts.
REMEMBER lets keep a class that is suitable for ALL in this economy. There are many 1st year riders that would love to run but would be intimidated by pulling up next to the 2-fast and getting smoked and roosted all around the track finishing next to last and losing that priceless "I did it" kids smile:D

RCR_531
10-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Most local people don't know about DRR or Apex in my neck of the woods. I had a lot of people come come up and ask what Bryce was riding. I didn't know about them until last year when I went to see what it took to race a National event. We had a lot of Yama 250s show up stock at the local track and it was fun to watch the farm boys race their stock quads. It is so hard to police a stock class unless one person was in charge of all the quads and the racers just showed up to draw a number to see what quad they would be racing for that Weekend.

Logan #34's Dad
10-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Great Idea here BUT the problem is not about the machine rules. Its about the cost of competing at the National level. Thats the reason for low numbers - not class struture. There are plenty of machines that show up and there would be 10 times as many competitors if it did not cost so much just to get there and be there. i.e. $40 per person over 12 years old (adult) to get in the door. In what world is a 12 yo an adult! Then there is Friday practice you must do. Most ppl can't take off that much work plus it adds another day of costs. Costs associated with getting back and forth. ect. ect.
Also, "stock appearing" will be a farce. You guys can order the machine in different configuation so there is no true "stock" drr or apex. Next you dealers will be offering a "limited" version that would be eligible and if the parent does not have that version you'll have no chance. Unless the machines come right from Lou at DRR or Greg from Apex AND are stamped as being "stock" eligible then it will never work. Slotted stators, different reed cages, ect. - The officials at the AMA races do not want to be bothered by us whinning mini parents - trust me,
Cost associated with racing is the issue not the machine and a "stock" machine with shocks is not much more expensive than a used Full Race Machine. Trust me, I just about had to give away mine.
Cost is why Logan won't be there next year. I've already sold every "toy" I own to get through the previous 3 years. Proves my point, Its not the best kids out there racing, It's the ones who's parents can afford it.

RCR_531
10-21-2010, 11:19 AM
I hear you on cost. When I pulled up to my first event and found out how much it was to get in I was shocked. I have it easy with only one boy but there was a lot of large families there. My wife came after the days event was over and still had to pay the same as if she was there in time to watch the event. This is for another discussion thou but it is a good point to be addressed

greenmachine70
10-21-2010, 12:12 PM
If any of you guys have questions, just come to Dade CIty on a quad night and see what a stock appearing class looks like. We make our 90's 100cc since the Apex 100 came out a while back so they are a bit different. But that being said, stock appearing is what it is. You look at the quad and it is stock frame, arms, swinger, cases, head, carb and ign.. Also to keep price down to attract more racers, we are allowed to update the quad to current year model changes..ie. pipes, shocks
We change tires, rims, shocks (stock mounts), rear axle, port motor, air filter, gussets, foot brake, tune carb and cvt.
I know some of you guys said your coming down, when you do you will see the LARGEST class at DCMX is our 100cc stock appearing.
Maybe it wont work at Nats, but it surely works for us. These bikes are all almost identical in top speed and holeshots when you get the tuning right, and that takes time. It is the riders in our series that separate the pack because the quads are so evenly matched.

Coley'sdad#8
10-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Rocky has some valid points but there will always be the families that live close enough to the event to go to it that are not planning on running a whole series so they would just kinda suck up the bad taste about the cost for one event. I agree it is going to be a nightmare trying to keep all the SERIOUS stock class racers legal with all the changes on the bikes that are coming out i.e. the new design shocks coming out, would they be legal on all or just that year and lots more whaa whaa whaa to follow at the track about whats legal and not. Need a whole tech staff comprised of factory miniquad reps just to judge them.:rolleyes:
I remember the good ole days when a 200x was just a 200x:D

doonanracing
10-21-2010, 02:55 PM
EDT series offers a "knobby class" for adults and this concept could also be used for youth riders. It is a non points race where the riders just enter what they brought. No need to worry about racing against National riders which can be both a rewarding but also fustrating experience for a rider and family. I think the goal is to get them to show up first before you can sell the product, which is them deciding to run in a National race Series or come back year after year. They get a trophy just like the National class and the opportunity to race inside a national series venue without the fear of running against other national riders or the outcome. They can see how it goes and move forward from there. This basicly is for local racers to run, which I think is the point of what this class is trying to do. Simply put you can offer this class for local racers to run a youth class with no bearings on points or anything else (now you also elliminate the issue of making sure a atv is actually within the rules of stock or if there is someone whom should be in a different class) and would give a local rider the experience of running a race in a National Series race without having to run against a riders whom are running the whole series when they race in their first race or have raced before and struggled against the nations top riders. Basicly offer a youth class which is 50/70/90 open class putting all atvs together in one race. Remember this is a non-points class just entered into every event so I can't see the reasoning to make it more than one class. The concept is to get them there first, which again I believe is the goal of this stock class. Let them see the event and be a part of it and hopefully come back and the following season maybe they race this race and then decide maybe to do another race which should be the goal. I honestly don't see the point in adding more classes if as atv in general we are having problems filling the gates at the classes we have now. What is the point to having 3 to 4 or even more 50/70/90 classes at a national race when you only have a couple for each class at the gate. Here is just another theory of thought.

Also in regards to MX: We have decided to run in the EDT series for one simple reason after this season. Costs. To run MX it costs me 3 days off work (thurs travel, fri daytime practice and mon. travel home). EDT costs me one day off and less hotel/food/and other fees and also atv maintance costs). Most EDT events are Friday night practice and Sat Mains and home on Sunday. I can use the same vacation time to run 5-6 races in the EDT series as to race only 2 MX races. To me that is better time spent with my boys which is why I do what I do. I would love to see a class run both it's moto's in one day versus one on sat and then the other on sunday. I simply can't afford that much time off work which is one of the other theories of thoughts

Great thread!!!

EthansDad
10-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Doon has some good points there. maybe its as simple as during the registration process they ID themselves as "first timers" giving them a by on rules, combined with a special plaque or something for the kid no matter how he/she places. And if there is no points impact to the rest of the kids, you have something for all the kids in any class without having to create a bunch of new classes.

Last comment - our first national experience, my kid got next to last place, both races. The end result? he LOVED IT. it was not really about the place or trophy, but about being there, being a part and making friends. bringing in first timers and having a class for them to get "top dog" don't have to go together is my point.

RCR_531
10-22-2010, 09:06 AM
this is a little off topic too but what about pre-registion. When I raced I got 10 dollars off per race when I signed up early. I also got dock some if I backed out and lost it all if it was last second unless I had a good resson to.(hurt,bike broke etc)

selbygirl
10-22-2010, 06:42 PM
the 90s should have a a class and b class like the 450s and once you race 90 class you shouldent be able to run the 70 class give the younger ones a chance at the podium thats like if thers a kid dominating the50 class for years he should move to the 70s i just feel if you domanate a class for a whole year or 2 you shuold move on to the next class just an ideal

LT80
10-23-2010, 07:17 AM
IMO, you can't expect to change shocks to aftermarket. IMO, This 1000+ dollar hit to the wallet is oposite from what this thread is about.
Also, no porting. 1 guy mentioned making the motor faster than the machine/rider can handle. That's the old SS rules. :D

I'd be calling it a "box stock" class. No mods, no changing, just kids and fun.
I think that's how to get 1st timers.

coffing918
10-24-2010, 09:05 AM
I still say gate fees are crazy we have 4 racers some race 2 classes and always 3 adults!!! it costs us alot b4 we even get inside the gates. just saying a family with more than 1 racer pays sooo much just to get started. now imagine practice fees racing fees aand everything else they want.

doonanracing
10-24-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree gate fees are expensive. A family of 4 with a 10 and 11 year old. The costs is over $120 as they charged $40 each to enter. Say only one child races. First you pay for practice that is another $25. Then 1 class another $40. You just now spent over $200 to attend and the dad or mom just had to take a day off work to attend the friday practice. This family lives only 30 minutes from the track so they don't have the hotel and gas costs that other will have. Now think of this, that same family It only costs $10-15 each at the gate so $40-50 for that same whole family to enter the local track and it is the same for what it costs for just one person to enter a National. No practice fees and then the race entry is only $25 to race. I think the goal you are trying to get is to get this family to spend another $100 plus dollars. Also now this family must plan to take 3 full days to attend this race where the local series it is only one night or day. My son just likes to race whether it is at a local track or a national track as long as he has someone to compete against. Also something to think about is Now that same racer has an older Kasea he raced locally because that is what that family can afford. It is an older air cooled motor with an exhaust has a dual a-arm kit he got off ebay and a set off older work shocks. he can do well locally, but on the national stage it might not do as well. Within these rules you suggest he can not enter this "Stock Class". So he enters the 90cvt class which has over 20 riders entered. Yes the experience will be nice, but what I believe is the point is to get them to come back again. My goal is for my son when he races to compete. yes it is nice if they win, but the goal has always been for him to be able to compete. Remember this same family can't afford to spend the bucks to make a national machine. So this family just spend an extra hundred dollars, they took an extra day off work. Was the experience enought to come back has to be the queston? I have seen allot of fast kids in PA race, and very few actually go to the National races for this same reason.

National racers are the one's supporting the series as they pay for it in gate and entry fees. Atv does not have the TV deals and fan base for support and this is where the goal and focus should be. The people whom put that last race together in MO that Speed taped should be applauded as that is the only way to get the series instead of the racers and their families to support the series and help lower those fees. I heard there was allot of wrecks, riders getting a little roudy and allot of the things that will sale atv racing.

As far as events. Why can't one day be youths and pro classes (sat. as that is a more popular day to get fans) and sunday for full size 450 amatuers which is how the national bike series is when they show up at the national tracks that are nearby? Now you only have to sacrifice one day off work instead of 2

coffing918
10-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Also i want to mention we are from NJ all except 3 races are at least a 12-15 hour drive, so that means we leave on Wednesday or thursday depending how far have to be at practice on friday race sat and sun leave sun driving on monday morning ,,,, that is 4 days off of School we go to school untill june 20th that adds up to like 15+ missed
school days.

bulldogfallon
10-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Lots of very good points, but there are too many topics being brought into the simple topic of seeing if this type of class would be accepted and draw enough riders to push for it.

We have a very good draw locally with the "Stock Appearing" classes asince it is cost effective and allows the machines performance from last to first to be compressed making it easier for new people to get involved.

Racing is expensive...going to a national is expensive....these are givens that everyone agrees on...Having a class like this keeps the price lower (but yes still expensive)....but even more so than that it makes the class competitive for the avg rider...

To make the class "stock" without porting etc is not realistic since the manufacturers make changes often and it would create more drama than just loosening up the belt a little so there are less confrontations and protests...If you can't see it then you can change it.....Stock cylinder, pipe and ignition keep it easy to administrate..

We have to remember that anything that adds more drama to the mini quad classes is not going to be considered....

Mini quad parents are already frowned upon in the eyes of many promoters due to the behavior and extra work it usually creates.

No class or idea is going to make everyone happy....Just try to find a happy medium that allows the sport to grow

bulldogfallon
10-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by JIM GRACE
90 stock class has been talked about locally as well.
It does give a family the chance to get on the podium that would normally come in next to last

Great feedback....Thank you

bulldogfallon
10-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by dblacks

could be a perfect class for someone that happens to be near a few of the national events and they have a competative class they can run.

Great feedback....Thank you

qcitytile
10-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Do you think this class would have good turnouts at all the events? None of our local tracks have stock classes. So like at walnut,Il I don't think there would be a turn out unless you get family's to follow the series. I think it would be a good class to have I'm just not sure on the turnout's, but the stock 50 does good so you never know.

Logan #34's Dad
10-26-2010, 05:34 AM
We have kids locally that have full blown race quads AND good riders that are intimidated to come to a National because they think the standard of competition is too high. So, I really don't believe you'd get any riders for this class because they would be worried it was too tough or they would not have a chance. Mostly because not enough of the "families" have stock machines that want to race. If people are already racing, they have a machine that would not qualify for this class and to get a new racer to Nationals just won't happen. Then there is the sticker shock of the costs to be at the Nationals.
What you'd end up with is current National racers racing in the class that are too skilled for it who would win and turn the "locals" off. We all know that if Dad can get little Johnny a title then he'll be signed up for the class.

doonanracing
10-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks Logans' Dad. That was one of my points. Racing locally in District 5 at a few races this season. I did not see one stock appearing quad. I have 3 national tracks within one hour of my home. The atv's had at least a exhaust maybe shocks of something else so they do not qualify for this type of class. Why not make it a/b/c 50/70/90 like the 450's. We already have at least 3 classes in each cc group to me would make more sense and offer a solution.

To tell a story why we came back. We purchased a brand new DRR 2 years ago and decided to race MX. I had no ides where to run locally and there was a National at Pleasure Valley. We showed up and entered the 70cc cvt class. There was 21 riders and on a bone stock atv and no experience I did not expect him to win just have fun and get the experience and decide from there. Of course Kyler qualified 21st so technically we where done and we where not going to race on Sunday as the rules stated only 20 at the gate for the main on Sunday. Logans Dad whom I never met found us and told us to show up Sunday to race and a couple other Dad's approached us. My son was visibly upset and you should of seen his face when told he can race on Sunday. That is how you get someone to come back. make them feel a part of the series, give them a class they can run in and they will come back. Like my son.

Logan #34's Dad
10-26-2010, 06:02 AM
I remember that well. I approached the other fathers and they agreed to keep your rider there. The ATVA officials were easy to convince as well. You can't tell too many people that story, I gotta reputation to live up to on here. LOL.
Although I want my rider to beat every rider out there, its still about the kids.

selbygirl
10-26-2010, 07:44 AM
youth racing is all about having fun meeting new freinds like logen and doonan sed helping each other. thats why i think ther should be a abc class for the youth. the adults have it. at the end its all about seeing that smile on your kids face and braggin that he or she was on the same track that the pros race . a lot of peaple i talk to are afraid to go spend all that time and money for a nat race and not qualifie i mean if you run a a/b 70 and a/b 90 class thats what an extra hr of time the kids who dont qualifie for the a class run the in the b class that way they still get finish a race

EthansDad
10-26-2010, 09:04 AM
the A-B-C thing is an idea, but something the AMA does not do for any other motorsports where youth is involved. I don't know if they have reasons for it, but might be an up hill thing with them.

Here is another idea - add three classes - 50/70/90 Beginner -the tech rules - simple, run what you brung. must be motor size for class, but no other mod rules apply - run what you have. the catch for sandbaggers - base it on practice laptimes. that is something simple the ATVA can look at to see if they need to talk to a beginner about running a different class.

We've all see fast kids on slow bikes, and slow kids on fast bikes so take the bike mods out of it for a new comer class. just run what you have and race locally - no additional money needed for the bike. if your lap times are right up there with the top 5 of the non-beginner class for your bike size, then you are asked to move up after practice. since everyone has the transponder on, should be pretty simple to look at the times and make the call for the officials - easier than a tech inspection. And for local riders thinking of coming out, all they have to do is load up and show up.

redonkulousruntsracing
11-09-2010, 03:34 PM
a lot of people are happy to get out of the 50 limited class because of all the BS that comes with it, I cant imagine anyone wanting to it all over again in the 90 class. The sad truth is that some will run it like it is intended, some will bend the rules, and with NO enforcement of the rules, it becomes a free for all. After spending 3 years in the 50 limited class, the only thing that tech ever hassled me over was my number plate, I could have had a cast 70 cylinder on it, but they never would have known. The only ones who would notice or care would be the other 50 limited parents, who can tell the sound of a 50 from a 70 just sound it makes. Just my $.02.....

heathmxracing
11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
If we are really wanting to have more "locals" attend why not make the class open to all stock 90's? There are probably more TRX 90's out there than anything. Just limiting it to CVT's wouldn't make sence because it wouldn't bring out the true locals...

EthansDad
11-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Any comments on the idea of a sized based beginers class with "run what you have" rules with checks based on lap time limits not mod limits? Would be a good way for folks to just show up with what they have and not worry about mod rules. Would Also keep the cost down for first timers and not put an impossible task on tech inspection.

So basically, you introduce a 50,70 and 90 beginers class open to all bikes/any mods as long as they meet the cc limits. The catch is if during practice the riders lap times are better than the top 5 in the non beginer class of same cc size, then they are asked to move to the non beginer class for their bike size on race day.

Since we now have mod classes for 50 cvt and 50 sr (70 and 90 mod too of course), no beginer should get turned away and always racing with racers of near same speed.

rcms
11-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Before the atva let Doug Morris go I spoke to him a couple of times about were the minis were headed in my opinion.I played with a early malossi set up and new the expense was getting set to go way up, as an engine builder I suggested considering a cast iron rule or a stock parts rule for the class. Now in todays times a person has to have some form of exotic engine to be competitive elevating the price out of most peoples reach. A race prepped stock appearing engine opens opportunities for many of the racers we have lost. Between myself ,Rich Hetrick and Billy Holt there are many racers around the country that have very fast machines in this catagory that would try to race again, but 2 year old technology is not worth spending the money to travel with. A stock appearing or cast iron based class would bring some affordability back to the kids world of racing and bring a level of safety back too. There are kids on machines that are way beyond there ability for the age and classes they have to choose from at the nat level, everybody is aware that modern 70cc race machines are faster than 90cc machines of 3 seasons ago and the kids are younger. My vote would be bring on the class and bring on the budget racers.

trompen542
11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by LT80
IMO, you can't expect to change shocks to aftermarket. IMO, This 1000+ dollar hit to the wallet is oposite from what this thread is about.
Also, no porting. 1 guy mentioned making the motor faster than the machine/rider can handle. That's the old SS rules. :D

I'd be calling it a "box stock" class. No mods, no changing, just kids and fun.
I think that's how to get 1st timers. X2

greenmachine70
11-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by rcms
Before the atva let Doug Morris go I spoke to him a couple of times about were the minis were headed in my opinion.I played with a early malossi set up and new the expense was getting set to go way up, as an engine builder I suggested considering a cast iron rule or a stock parts rule for the class. Now in todays times a person has to have some form of exotic engine to be competitive elevating the price out of most peoples reach. A race prepped stock appearing engine opens opportunities for many of the racers we have lost. Between myself ,Rich Hetrick and Billy Holt there are many racers around the country that have very fast machines in this catagory that would try to race again, but 2 year old technology is not worth spending the money to travel with. A stock appearing or cast iron based class would bring some affordability back to the kids world of racing and bring a level of safety back too. There are kids on machines that are way beyond there ability for the age and classes they have to choose from at the nat level, everybody is aware that modern 70cc race machines are faster than 90cc machines of 3 seasons ago and the kids are younger. My vote would be bring on the class and bring on the budget racers.
You have the idea. We are allowed to gusset frame, add nerf bars, foot brake, wheels, sprocket changes, porting, clutching but stock appearing carb. this year we have kids busting axles and frames often and as a group voted to allow aftermarket shocks as long as they fit in stock locations. My sons frame has about 10lbs of gussets because DRR's or Apexs' are not meant for 100lb riders who air it out big in stock form. We have full gates bec ause of this, it is still expensive to maintain these quads, but nothing like a 2fast or malossi setup if it goes down. I believe this class would be great for all racers.