PDA

View Full Version : front tire sizes...

jcs003
10-19-2010, 02:44 AM
20", 21" 22". i always wondered the benefits of having a slightly taller front tire. i hear it has something to do with footprint.

can someone explain and tell me whats best for my application.

trx250r. 20" ohatsu(honda) rears. woods XC riding.

tayyo789
10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I think it has a lot to do with tire flex in corners, etc. And the bigger the front tire, the less weight is on it, since it angles the bike backwards. I'm probably wrong, but thats all I can think of

suck my pipe
10-19-2010, 11:20 AM
A taller tire will roll over trees and rocks easier as well as in some cases give you a softer ride because there is more sidewall to flex. The same tall side wall that gives you a softer ride will also make the quad more likely to dive in turns because the side wall will give out easier. The taller tire will also weigh a little more. And the last thing i can think of is that a taller tire will give you better ground clearance allowing you to go faster where you may bottom out with a smaller tire. It really depends on the tire you choose.

jcs003
10-19-2010, 12:14 PM
thanks for the input. anyone have anything else to add?

Shawthy33
10-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Front tires don't effect ground clearance much on a sport quad. You figure the sprocket and brack rotor in the back are at 4-7 inches depending on rear tires. Your frame from front to swingarm is going to be well higher than that.

I personally went to a 21f 20r set-up as a good trail quad tire size. I liked the 1 inch less up front as it seems to put slightly more weight forward and help the front tires grip more and push less. However, having brand new tires over balding stockers could have contributed to most of the improvement as well.

I will say that a ton of people on here post pictures of "built" quads that have suck/bald/wrong air pressure tires and talk about how much their 440 kit is putting to the ground etc etc. Tires can make the biggest difference in handling, power, acceleration and it seems a lot of people overlook this part of their bike-builds.