PDA

View Full Version : project LT80 need advice

image151
10-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I bought an LT80 off a buddy for 150$..it had a gummed up carb and bad plug. I have it running now and am having some clutch issues..i ordered the drive rollers and guess im gona have to order the drive face as well... With the chain hooked up to the front sprocket it doesnt want to free roll (with drive belt off pulleys). Any ideas on what that may be?

Also I'd like to make this thing run pretty good. It has a DG pipe on it..I have a wiseco piston to put in it and boyseen reeds.

I weigh 150lb..I bought this for a pitbike to ride around in the pits..but I notice they have a pitbike class at most tracks :devil: sooo I'm thinkin that could get pretty fun lol...so I want it to be able to rip pretty good for what it is with me on it....

thanks for the insight guys
Michael

fearlessfred
10-18-2010, 09:05 PM
it still has a transmission ( kinda ). it has prob,never had the oil changed or cked . transmission may not be the right term ,but just the same its prob. wasted . theres a member on here called lt 80 on this site and he will prob. come on here and help u. he is sharp on these quads

LT80
10-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks fearlessfred. :)

I agree, better check out the tranny (gearbox) for oil. Pull the bolt by the front sprocket. Oil should weep out. If not, fill w/gear oil till it does weep out.
You say "with the chain on" could it be a old rusted up chain causing it not to roll good?

In the last year or 2 I've built a few motors for adult pit bikes. Sounds like alot of fun. :)

image151
10-19-2010, 12:43 PM
LT80,

yea i checked the gear box oil, it was good.. im pretty sure the chain isnt that bad...its hard to describe the drag it has...u cant push it across the floor sometimes because the tires stay locked up...its about like pushing a 450 quad in gear. (it almost seems as if its stuck in gear and is trying to turn the engine over when u push) but i could be wrong..and it isnt anything in the rear end or brakes

I have ordered a new drive face and have piston, drive rollers, and boyseen reeds with dg pipe....

what's your advice on gettin this thing to scream?

fearlessfred
10-19-2010, 05:43 PM
drain the oil from the transmission,or reduction gearbox or what ever u want to call it and look for metal in the oil. u can also also pull the chain and belt and turn over by hand on either the input or output and see if it is smooth turning or grinding.i have had one of these fail and seen one other fail,but my kids 80 that failed had many hard hours on it and very little oil ,when it went.

LT80
10-19-2010, 09:32 PM
It rolls fine w/o the chain on?
Rear end isn't the problem?
You say the belt is off?
Did you take the rear clutch off the gearbox input shaft? If not do so. The input shaft should turn with your fingers (chain off).

Just making sure on a cpl points. :)

fearlessfred
10-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by LT80
You say the belt is off?
Did you take the rear clutch off the gearbox input shaft? If not do so. The input shaft should turn with your fingers (chain off).

Just making sure on a cpl points. :) i was not suggesting that there was anything wrong with the rear end.with the chain off turn the countershaft sprocket by hand and see if it feels crunchy or smooth. im guessing that it wont turn at all. i would drain the oil first,unlrss someone has done this before u bought it,it will prob. have metal in the oil.

LT80
10-20-2010, 10:00 AM
"i was not suggesting that there was anything wrong with the rear end"

I'm just making sure it isn't cuz it does sound like it could be axel brgs. :)

fearlessfred
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by LT80
You say the belt is off?

Just making sure on a cpl points. :)
sorry,lt 80 i responded to your post thinking it was image151

image151
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
ok found the problem, It is the whole clutch assembly on the trans shaft. Anyone have one or sale or know where i can get one?. both bearings are bad and the pads on the clutch is shot and a spring that goes inside the clutch is broke lol

LT80 everyone I have called said to get ahold of you

fearlessfred
10-20-2010, 02:34 PM
just wandering ,does it roll freely with everything removed from the input shaft on the trans

image151
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes, the trans and rearend are fine. It's the clutch bearings and pads on the clutch. Know where I can get one?

fearlessfred
10-20-2010, 03:16 PM
glad to hear that all the other stuff is fine. all the parts i have are so highly used i wouldnt sell them

LT80
10-20-2010, 09:25 PM
I have new bearings here. I replace alot of those.
I'll have about 20 stock spings for ya..LMAO :eek2:
The shoe assembly may be a problem. Prolly have to get a new set.
I'll look.

image151
10-21-2010, 07:28 AM
lemme know asap on the bearings..and the spring one of the shoes is broke.. i thought about trying to go to an autoparts store and gettin a brake shoe spring or something if i could find one to fit..