PDA

View Full Version : New quad need some help upgrading it

Nathan91
10-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I just bought my first race quad a 04 400ex, paid 1500 for it and now im looking to put some money into it about 150-200 bucks. It starts and runs great everything seems solid on it. Its already got some aftermarket parts, a K&N air filter, larger rear sprocket, Nerf bars, new grips, and the tires seem pretty good. I don't know where to go from here, i mainly do trail riding. So just let me know what you think i should upgrade next and what brands for the upgrades, also if you know any good sites to get them from that'd help too. Thanks for the help

beags86
10-18-2010, 05:36 PM
motorsport.com
rockymountainatvmc.com
ebay
c&d racing(site sponser)
motorcycle-superstore.com
bikebandit.com
denniskirk.com

450r front shocks, aftermarket clutch lever, 250x clutch cable, parking brake block off, chassis skid plate. hand guards, grips, and bars.

if you spring for shocks you won't be able to do all of these but
these are all cheaper things to do and i found some of the most enjoyable, (rider comfort). before you do anything you should change oil and filter and clean the k&n, put a outerwears on that k&n!

HondaRacing83
10-18-2010, 06:25 PM
curtis sparks +6 timing key

Nathan91
10-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. beags86 I was thinking of taking out the whole air box putting a K&N intake tube on it with the K&N filter with a outerwear sleeve. Seen that kit for about 65bucks. What do you think about that? or would a powerlid for the air box be a better use of the money

Ntensweapon
10-18-2010, 06:46 PM
protective gear

beags86
10-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Nathan91
Thanks for the suggestions. beags86 I was thinking of taking out the whole air box putting a K&N intake tube on it with the K&N filter with a outerwear sleeve. Seen that kit for about 65bucks. What do you think about that? or would a powerlid for the air box be a better use of the money

honstly not worth the money in my opinion. just take off the lid to the air box. some people will swear by taking off the whole box. i honstly do believe you do pick up more power without the box, but it is so small you will never feel/know it. so really just take off the lid you will get enough air to the intake without having to worry about mud, dirt and mostly water splashing up and drowning your engine. the powerlid or the outerwears cover on the lid would also work well for you.

Nathan91
10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by beags86
honstly not worth the money in my opinion. just take off the lid to the air box. some people will swear by taking off the whole box. i honstly do believe you do pick up more power without the box, but it is so small you will never feel/know it. so really just take off the lid you will get enough air to the intake without having to worry about mud, dirt and mostly water splashing up and drowning your engine. the powerlid or the outerwears cover on the lid would also work well for you.

Alright thanks, i'll probably just go with the outerwear since its a lot less than a powerlid.