PDA

View Full Version : Parts Colors

blue66tang
10-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I picked up a 88r not to long ago and would like to slowly start getting things powder coated to the original colors. It didn't have rear brakes, so a buddy of mine gave me a whole swingarm, axle and brakes off of a 450r. So I am getting ready to start putting the brake stuff on, however I had to buy a rear brake lever because it was missing. I bought a flaked chrome one off of ebay cheap. I want to have it powder coated, but what color is is supposed to be?

Anybody have any close ups of factory original (unmolested) 88 250R's? Just want some good clear reference pictures.

skraut
10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Parts like the rear brake lever, shift lever, fender stays and kick starter were actually zinc plated black from the factory. It actually looks more brown then black , but it is a black zinc plating. You can have it done but its not cheap and the charge by a " lot charge ". I had all my bolts and parts replated by the following place. They did a very good job and it was reasonably priced.

K and L plating 717 397 9819

platinginpa.com

blue66tang
10-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Hmm, I doubt I will do that. I think I will just have them powder coated black. I will do one color at a time till I have the bike completely re-coated. I may have the bolts re-plated though. I use to be a purchasing agent for a company, and I had a company that did a lot of plating for me. I may see what they would charge me to have the bolts re-plated.

So anything else should be powder coated black?

TLR-Online
10-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Everything you could want/dream for :D

http://www.looseboltsmotorsports.com/images/250R/250R.htm

Rich250RRacer
10-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by skraut
Parts like the rear brake lever, shift lever, fender stays and kick starter were actually zinc plated black from the factory. It actually looks more brown then black , but it is a black zinc plating. You can have it done but its not cheap and the charge by a " lot charge ". I had all my bolts and parts replated by the following place. They did a very good job and it was reasonably priced.

K and L plating 717 397 9819

platinginpa.com

I don't believe that pertains to all years on the plating you speak of. Over the years I purchased two new rear brake pedals, and both were painted black, not zinc plated, right out of the package. It's possible Honda changed their process somewhere along the way too.

skraut
10-19-2010, 07:34 AM
86 87, yes were painted black, all 88 89 were plated