PDA

View Full Version : Bent steering stem?

CJM
10-18-2010, 02:31 PM
This baffles me, I wound up going front over in some sand pits the other day. Came down not even that hard on the right side and bent the bars slightly.

So I get new bars, put it back together and oddly enough it still looks like the right side is lower than the left. The bars are brand new straight outta the box..

Can the steering stem bend to the left or right that easily? Looking at it it does seem very slightly moved even tho measuring it for clearances seems to come back good. Tie rods all look good, it seems to ride straight too..

IDK Im stumped..I didnt go over hard and literally yanked the quad back up with no issues..

NacsMXer
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
They bend pretty easily, you'd be surprised. I run stock stems, and consider them sacrificial. Much like a front bumper, I expect the stem to bend so that my frame doesn't get bent up instead.

They used to be pretty cheap at 40 bucks for an OEM stem, but even now at 60 bucks, it's still cheaper than a new set of 1 1/8" handlebars. With my setup, the bars don't bend...the stem is the weak link.

Newt327
10-18-2010, 03:09 PM
I did the same thing about 2 weeks ago, i pulled a wheelie and all i can figure is my left rear wheel hit a rock or root and my 400 went over on it's right side and threw me off. My bars were ok, thanks to the sturdiness of my Pro-Tapers but i did notice my steering was out of line a little, not much but enough to notice. I pulled the steering stem out the next day and here it is. Actually tooks like it twisted rather than bent. The welds at the top and bottom are not cracked, it's like the shaft just twisted itself. My local Honda shop had a new one for $78.

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/Newt327/400EX/DSC_0006-1.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/Newt327/400EX/DSC_0003-1.jpg

trailrider894
10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
I rolled my quad on the 4th of July. I bought handle bars, etc.. and put it all on and realized my stem was bent. So i just bought a houser. OEM stems are cheap... mine basically just buckled...

CJM
10-18-2010, 03:45 PM
It deff twisted like newts stem did.

Its like off that itty bitty bit thatit annoys you and off while riding.

Here goes stem #3. Stem #1 was bent when i got it badly and now stem #2 bit the dust after only 2 flips. yay!

I kinda figured it, thankfully they are cheap.

thanks guys.

trailrider894
10-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Man, i spent like 175 on my houser including clamps used and i have rolled it since then, and it held up with no questions.

CJM
10-18-2010, 03:54 PM
I look at it like this: houser is quite $$, and although its stronger than stock this means the frame is now the weakest link

I ruined the mount for the stem about a year ago (long story) and it was a literal biatch to replace. Not only are the welds there super thick but its nearly impossible to cut (I had to use a dremel!) and even better is trying to get another part of that frame! Imagine trying to weld in the frontend and make it right too?

No thanks, ill take the stock stem and replace it if it bends yet again.

trailrider894
10-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I look at it like this: houser is quite $$, and although its stronger than stock this means the frame is now the weakest link

I ruined the mount for the stem about a year ago (long story) and it was a literal biatch to replace. Not only are the welds there super thick but its nearly impossible to cut (I had to use a dremel!) and even better is trying to get another part of that frame! Imagine trying to weld in the frontend and make it right too?

No thanks, ill take the stock stem and replace it if it bends yet again.

Yeah i needed a +2 stem because i am 6'0.

CJM
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Yeah i needed a +2 stem because i am 6'0.

I got the highest bars I found comfortable and have some risers, it wasnt bad without the risers tho. Im 6ft as well.

IMSROLL450R
10-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Stock stems are great until you roll it..... my RPM stem is perfect after multiple endoes....

CJM
10-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Update:

I adjusted the tie rods just to be sure, but the right side (side I fell on) is still off. That wheel has much more negative camber (top the tire/wheel points towards frame more) than the other. Sides are quite close too, as per manual about 6.5mm or so (specs say within 3mm). IE it looks like this:

|tire| FRAME \tire\

So Im guessing the stem is really screwed-but even so seems odd. Tie rod appears to be straight as do a-arms and the frame too.

So new steering stem when I get some cash and Ill report back.

Racerjames
10-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Stock stems are tough enough, but if you dump the bike they bend like tin. Barely rolled my buddies 400(on side) bars were fine, stem was wonked out. Id say go for the stockers as disposable items if you're not the guy who rolls his bike a$s-over-teakettle every weekend..... but if you are, that Houser unit looks BURLY.. it should last longer than your frame ;)

CJM
10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Im still trying to figure out what else might have bent.

It doesnt add up because the camber of the wheel that I rolled seems off, yet most measurements seem within 1/8 of eachother side vs side. It seems to have more negative camber than usual.

Measurements between balljoints seem fine, spindle seems fine. So IDK.

For now it rides decently straight and should work fine, its gonna get too cold to ride in a month or two anyways.

Either way, I was gonna get new a-arms this winter with adjustable camber anyways and Ill probably spring for a new stem, I need new tires and probably could use some new wheels cause they are bent a bit and wobble.