PDA

View Full Version : revavled/sprung stockers or wait til LT?

hawaiianbasshed
10-17-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm considering getting some CD revalved shocks for my LTR.

my question is will the difference between it and long travel be significant? I don't go big yet. the biggest jump I've actually cleared to date is a 20-30' table. I don't think I'll be hitting 100' doubles or anything that size anytime soon. the biggest jump I hope to clear even this year if at all possible is a 60' table lol. probably not even that til next year at the soonest. I need to learn to ride alot better before I can even attempt it...

so with that in mind on whoops and smaller stuff will long travel be a big benefit over revalved/sprung shocks?

thanks!

Tom

Scro
10-18-2010, 10:44 AM
If you don't know much about adjusting shocks and how they work, I would say go for the rebuilds. Depending on which LT shocks you would go with, you would need them setup for your weight and riding anyway from the factory. Most shock manufacturers' valving is generic to begin with, Elka in particular.

Colby@C&DRacing
10-18-2010, 11:13 AM
If you are wanting to save some money I think shock conversion are a good return for the money, when revalved and resprung for you and your riding style they work well.

trailrider894
10-18-2010, 03:21 PM
i believe that stock conversions work better than most 1,500 dollar setup
s i have riden on, even AXIS and PEP.

suzukiracer3
10-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
i believe that stock conversions work better than most 1,500 dollar setup
s i have riden on, even AXIS and PEP.

trailrider894
10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by suzukiracer3

if somebody goes out and buys some brand of shock that is not properly setup and done for there setup, it will perform poorly. I have raced quads and built plenty of race quads for guys, i have riden nearly every single shock except Ohlin and Works, which i refuse to ride on a works shock. I know from experience that company like Race Tech and GT Thunder and I-Shock who do stock revalves and conversion can make a 100% custom shock for you. And trust me, with i-shock if you don't like it, send it back and they will do it until they get it right. Stock conversion will never stand against long travel shocks, if that is what you mean suzukiracer3. But a good conversion will take a pounding, and not require constant rebuilds.

scotturban
11-01-2010, 05:34 PM
If It was me I would do a rebuild for the rear, and replace the front end, For us a rebuild rear always will do fine, but aftermarket front ends do wonders with mx

jordanscott
11-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I would do the rebuilds front a rear. I've never ridden a bike with rebuilt stockers, but everyone who has them raves about them. I think they would be perfect for you being that you aren't going all that big. And then down the road if you feel like you need a LT setup, you can sell your rebuilt shocks.

scotturban
11-05-2010, 08:07 AM
look on the forums or on ebay for a long travel front end or just aftermarket shocks like an elka, pep, fox, axis, can save so much money buying used shocks, for some you can get a nice set of elkas for not to much more than rebuilding your stockers.

trailrider894
11-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by scotturban
look on the forums or on ebay for a long travel front end or just aftermarket shocks like an elka, pep, fox, axis, can save so much money buying used shocks, for some you can get a nice set of elkas for not to much more than rebuilding your stockers.

but in order to get them set right for you not some 250lb guy or a little light 130lb kid . Then you must get them revalved for your riding style, front end width, etc.... It still cheaper to rebuild the stockers.

scotturban
11-05-2010, 11:06 AM
yeah ill agree with trailrider on that one, I just mentioned ebay for shocks if you can find somebody that was pretty similar to you and your riding style, thats kind of a long shot, Just any shock that is set up for YOU will do you best

trailrider894
11-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by scotturban
yeah ill agree with trailrider on that one, I just mentioned ebay for shocks if you can find somebody that was pretty similar to you and your riding style, thats kind of a long shot, Just any shock that is set up for YOU will do you best

yes if you can do that, then you are on a good path. Just remember long travel shocks means long travel a-arms.

quadrider2112
11-06-2010, 01:18 PM
If you buy used shocks off ebay or whatever you can get them revalved for a resonable price. the shocks are the high part.