PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Weight

hooah.soldier
10-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I currently have a '05 450R. Yes, it is the kick start one. I am wanting to cut some weight from the quad w/o loosing durability. By no means is this going to be a show quad. I race XC and MX on occasions.
For example, I know I can run an aftermarket Aluminum frame, but the durability goes.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can cut weight out of the quad?

curryd
10-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Look into some mods they do in TT racing. They lighten the machine as much as possible. Be careful though, some of it will weaken the chassis and strength. Here are a few things that would work though:
1. Remove headlight
2. Remove tailight
3. Carbon Fiber rims
4. Change bolts and nuts with Titanium materials: very expensive and only lose a little weight.
5. Remove front fenders. Less wind resistance son machine seems to run better.
6. Change footpegs to aftermarket.

Just a few things.

eastside 400
10-17-2010, 07:01 PM
umm, no you cant run a aluminum frame because there is no aluminum frame available for it. and if made correctly, an aluminum frame isnt weaker then a steel. there really isnt much you can do to drop weight on the honda's since there is barely any electonics to drop and with the cast swingarm you could only add weight with aftermarket chassis parts. just take off anything unneccesary... lights, brake switches, race cut a harness.

DnB_racing
10-17-2010, 07:10 PM
dont forget the most important place to take some weight of your quad is on the seat!!!

TJ Bradley
10-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Dont eat the week before a race:D

Air shocks are alot lighter than spring shocks, look into getting some aluminum a arms fabbed up. Maybe some stock Ds450 arms or somethin. Or you could fork out like 5k and get LSR or someone to custom build a titanium frame for ya. lol

But seriously unless your in some serious top of the line Pro level competition in TT or somethin where you might see the slightest difference, Theres really no point in it. you wont see any performance gains over a few pounds.

hooah.soldier
10-17-2010, 09:27 PM
I have nearly everything decked out on the quad already. Hipers all around, no lights, aftermarket everything.

I am currently running LT Elkas all around. Just holding out on getting a set of Fox Shox.

BTW, I weigh 160 soaking wet, 5'8''. So, there isn't much weight i can shed on myself, LOL. But thanks for the tip.

D Bergstrom
10-17-2010, 10:32 PM
You should be able to loose weight by swapping the Hipers for a good rolled lip aluminum wheel, I have heard Hipers are actually pretty heavy. Headlight and tail light are easy, thats really about it. Everything else people have already mentioned. Ti stuff is expensive, racing XC you probably want to keep the fenders, Fox Evols would save some weight also. Problem is, whatever you take off you will add just as much back. (better tires, skidplates, new a-arms, etc.) Just build the quad into something that works for you and don't worry about weight.

Doug

airmobile101
10-18-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned riding gear. You can save quite a few pounds from the gear you choose.

ss440ex
10-18-2010, 08:25 AM
The OEM exhaust system weights a ton!

dtzalba450r
10-18-2010, 11:01 AM
cut the frame
aluminum axle
thin walled a-arms
swinger
stem
titanium bolts
shaved fenders