PDA

View Full Version : 400ex mod help.

98300exduner
10-17-2010, 02:01 PM
well i have a completely stock 2003 400ex. only thing done to it is renthal bars and razr tires all the way around. i have an aftermarket breaking system on it and that is about it.
i just was wondering what should my priorities be for winter wishlist. i ride sand dunes and trails. not really a racing guy, but i might get into it. i was just thinking of getting a decent slip on, nerfs 450r shocks and uni airfilter. what are your guys thoughts about what i should get. thank you for your help.

99400esex
10-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by 98300exduner
well i have a completely stock 2003 400ex. only thing done to it is renthal bars and razr tires all the way around. i have an aftermarket breaking system on it and that is about it.
i just was wondering what should my priorities be for winter wishlist. i ride sand dunes and trails. not really a racing guy, but i might get into it. i was just thinking of getting a decent slip on, nerfs 450r shocks and uni airfilter. what are your guys thoughts about what i should get. thank you for your help.

Those all seem like pretty typical mod's that most people start with, so your on the right track there. If you plan on doing anything internal in the motor, definitely get a hotcam. Get whichever stage would best suit your needs. Don't forget that you'll need to re-jet the carb for the slip on and air filter.

honda400ex2003
10-17-2010, 04:36 PM
x2 those are most of the good mods for cheap on these machines. although i would never run anything over a stage 1 hotcam on a stock internal engine. the dynamic compression is just too low with a stage 2 or 3 to make for any decent gain. i do recommend the stage 1 though. steve

killer400ex
10-17-2010, 05:31 PM
in the dunes its be fast or be last so you might be dooing more motor uppgrades sooner than yout think, and i would just go with a full exhaust system, your going to want one when you start getting into major mods

Racerjames
10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
If you ride snow, pro-wedges on the rear wheels are crucial

99400esex
10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
x2 those are most of the good mods for cheap on these machines. although i would never run anything over a stage 1 hotcam on a stock internal engine. the dynamic compression is just too low with a stage 2 or 3 to make for any decent gain. i do recommend the stage 1 though. steve

Good point. Bore that puppy out before you stick anything over a stage 1 hotcam in it. I can say that the stage 1 is great for low and midrange though, its awesome for me because I ride trails and the power is always where I need it too be.

ish416
10-18-2010, 12:27 AM
If you do not plan on doing any internal engine work IE high compression piston, I would highly recommend a Sparks Timing Key. (http://www.alwaysopenmall.com/layouts/02/unsecure/item.asp?SiteID=223&DepartmentID=85&CategoryID=949&GroupID=7033&ItemID=31633&StartNum=1&Sort=&ShowPics=0&ListByCode=1&Brand=&GenderAgeGroupID=0&MaxPrice=&SearchString=&ItemCode=&IsOnlyOnSale=0&FromHomePage=0&FromFamily=0&ProductFamilyID=0&RelatedItemID=0)

Best mod for the money ($20).

Front suspension should be at the top of your list. Followed by a decent slip-on, air filter, rejet and timing key.

Together, they should make a noticeable difference. If you feel like spending more money after that, go with a high compression piston, cam and an 04-05 450r carb.

tri5ron
10-18-2010, 01:57 AM
your current wishlist is good, and in proper priorities order.
You've obviously been doing some reading here, before asking your question.
In addition to your current list, you can add a Sparks timing advance key, and a '04/'05 450r carb.
you will end up with 32.5 +/- .5 HP at the wheels, when properly jetted/tuned.
That's a respectable increase in HP on the stock piston/cam.
(bone stock is 24/26 HP).

Do not waste your money on a aftermarket cdi/over rev box.
I don't care what anybody says,... They don't do a damn thing for performance on a internally stock 400ex engine.
Same thing goes for the aftermarket "Monster coils".
just a waste of money, for NO Noticible- MEASUREABLE gains.

anybody who tries to tell you differently is full of crap, and have not spent the cash, to put it on a dyno, and prove their results,... period.
(I HAVE spent the cash for dyno time), and I have ALL the mods you have listed, as well as the key, and carb.

The ONLY hing left for me to do, to my internally stock engine,...
is the cam.
The HC stage 1, is BY FAR, the most popular choice,
(mostly because of the lowest cost),
as well as the fact that your original rockers will work fine.

A better choice of cam is the Webcam,
but be warned,....

higher cost,
AND,
the need to replace the rockers .

Speculation is B.S.,
Data is Proof.