PDA

View Full Version : 400ex racing setup I NEED HELP

ridehonda400ex
10-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Okay guys this my first post on here, so im not sure how to do everything lol but ive got me a 2001 400ex all stock pretty much except nerf bars and handle bars. Im gunna start racing next summer when i turn 16. But im not sure what kind of racing i wanna do. Either track or cross country racing. But if you could give me some tips on what would be good cheap performance add ons, that would be greatly appreciated. And also where to find good strong front rims and tires for a reasonable price as one of my front rims is bent.......damn trees lol

PaRedneckRiders
10-16-2010, 10:47 AM
You would benefit more from handling upgrades than u would with motor upgrades, unless your going fast in a straight line.

The stock EX suspension just isn't that great

It just depends on what kind of racing u want to do and how much cash u have to spare on parts.

Trees will bend wheels usually i bent a couple sets of stock wheels with trees, good way to get wheels is just check craigslist or something for a cheap set of stockers close to you thats what i did, but now ive got a set of hiper carbon fiber beadlocks

HondaRacing83
10-16-2010, 11:29 AM
agreed^^^^but first you would need to figure out what kinda racing you wanna do?cheap mod add ons would most liekely be some new bars,i see in your sig you say you have msr bars,i believe they only make steel bars for quads?get some nice tags,renthals or pro tapers.cheapest suspension upgrade would be 450r front shocks.if you wanna race mx you might want some +2 a-arms and an extended rear axle(gforce's are like $200)if you race gncc you might be able to get away with stock travel.your gonna need number plates for sure.if you race gncc its a good idea to get handguards.not quite a requirement but some powermadds would still be a good idea.sooner or later your gonna want to get a pipe whether it be a full or slip on.i see you got a uni?stick with foam filters.k&n's suck in to much dust/dirt.now tires-if you race gncc i suggest all razr2's,or a razr rears and razr2 front combo,or holeshot gncc's or holeshot xc's,or razr ballance,and i think gbc makes some good tires similar to those?for mx-you could get razr's,razr mx, razr cross,itp holeshot,holeshot mx,or itp quadcross mx.hope it helped.anything else just ask members on the forum board.btw welcome!congrats on the new quad!

ridehonda400ex
10-16-2010, 01:25 PM
im thinking its probably going to be gncc type racing. and yes i agree with redneckrider THE STOCK SUSPENSION SUCKS! and i was looking at getting some stock 450 shocks for the front and just leaving the back 400ex shock alone, but ive heard that the 450 shocks need to be cut to be mounted correctly. is this true?

PaRedneckRiders
10-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
im thinking its probably going to be gncc type racing. and yes i agree with redneckrider THE STOCK SUSPENSION SUCKS! and i was looking at getting some stock 450 shocks for the front and just leaving the back 400ex shock alone, but ive heard that the 450 shocks need to be cut to be mounted correctly. is this true?

The stock 400ex rear is actually a decent shock, theres not much difference between it and the 450r rear.

Yes u have to grind the mounts on the top of the 450r shocks so they will fit because the top of the mount hits the frame before the bolt hole lines up.

Some cheap mods could be find a used pipe that u like get a new or used cam and then if its time for a rebuild go with like an 11:1 416 and it would run really good but thats just the motor.

I would go with a stage 1 cam mayb stage 2 just depends on where you want most of the power, bottom end or mid to top end

11:1 416 because you can run pump gas and usually not encounter any problems just running high octane pump gas (93 in my area)

So ya the first thing i would do is work on the suspension then you could do some motor work when the time comes that it needs it

416racer
10-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Getting a rear link for whichever type racing you decide(xc or mx) and having the shock revalved and sprung for your weight will be a great upgrade and fairly cheap( considering the improvment). I run a 426 with a 11:1 piston and it runs great! I think the stage1 cam is perfect for woods racing. This setup is just as capable as anything you'll line up against, It's really more rider than machine;) Good luck! and remember to have fun.

P.s. I would do the 416 bore so you have another build left in the cylinder later on. I dont think theres that big of a difference between a 416 and a 426.

SpasticR450
10-16-2010, 03:40 PM
I didn't read anything any one said above but like every one knows no air box lid makes more power. And no box at all makes even more. I'll sell u a bracked for $15 only if you want. Wont have an air box at all any more for max power out of the intake. And you would think the filter would get dirty fast but really the location running in mud and water it only gets speckled. I always use a water resistnat filter skin just to make sure water dont get in.

Another cheep thing to buy is a XR400 stock cam is like a stade 1 cam for a 400ex.

CJM
10-16-2010, 03:45 PM
In order of what to do first:
1. 450R front shocks. revalve them if you want, but they will do fine for your first go around. Dont grind the shock, knock of the welded on nuts and replace with carriage bolts, then relieve the frame mount slightly on the bottom. If you search you will see posts on this. Rear shock is fine as is.

2. better handlebars. I personally like protaper SE (7/8) bars, but renthals are tags are fine too. get better grips, I really like odi lock on grips, no glue to mess with as the have bolt on clamps that keep them on.

3. Steel wheels will be strong but super heavy, stay away from them. Stock wheels are actually pretty tough too, and cheap! My fav is douglass .190 iirc is the thickest of there alumalite wheel. I have rear alumalites and they are very strong and quite light.

4. Skid plates, if your racing mx all you need is the rear swinger skid. If your gonna do anything else I really recommend a belly skid and a-arm skids as well as a good bumper.

5. Exhaust. Decent slip on is worth it.

6. Air filter, uni filters are the best. Could also use an outerwears pre filter to or remove the airbox lid.

Heres where we diverge:
1. You can just add a sparks racing timing key and gain alot of power b/c it advances the timing quite a bit. It runs on regular gas and doesnt usually need to be jetted to much if at all. This will work and give you noticeable gains and is very cheap to do.

2. Engine mods: I really cant recommend enough an 11:1 piston 416 bore. hotcam stage 2 and crf 450 timing chain. When your in there doing all of this make sure to save yourself piece of mind and do the heavy duty headstud upgrade form GT thunder, replace the timing chain guides and tensioner as well.

I have a 416 11:1, hotcam 2, slip on exhaust, and not much else and it rips imho. I like the stage 2 cam cause I have really good low, excellent mid and topend. I feel I have plenty of low and cause of the more radical cam it has tons of middle and topend so it never feels like your running out. Most of the time on trails I coast or have barely any throttle cause its too fast lol.

trailrider894
10-16-2010, 06:27 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3989016#post3989016

this has everything you need to know.

99400esex
10-17-2010, 06:48 AM
If your racing gncc get a stage 1 or 2 hotcam definitely. Look on craigslist for some nice used shocks, I found some triple rate elka shocks in great shape for 400, I didnt buy them but u can find stuff like that all the time on craigslist or ebay.

ridehonda400ex
10-17-2010, 10:26 AM
okay guys well im not looking to really bore my engine but i was looking to put in the stage 1 hot cam and then do the 11:1 piston so i can run pump gas. and then could someone explain to me what exactly the sparks timing key does, i know timing has to do with how the emgine runs and stuff but whats its purpose, and is it really worth it? and then i deffinetly want a pipe but what is a good one that wont break the bank lol. and i wanna keep the airbox but maybe get the lid with a the filter thing, any input on if those are worth it would be appreciated, i know the more air the more power put where i live it can be extremely dusty one day and muddy the next

PaRedneckRiders
10-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
okay guys well im not looking to really bore my engine but i was looking to put in the stage 1 hot cam and then do the 11:1 piston so i can run pump gas. and then could someone explain to me what exactly the sparks timing key does, i know timing has to do with how the emgine runs and stuff but whats its purpose, and is it really worth it? and then i deffinetly want a pipe but what is a good one that wont break the bank lol. and i wanna keep the airbox but maybe get the lid with a the filter thing, any input on if those are worth it would be appreciated, i know the more air the more power put where i live it can be extremely dusty one day and muddy the next

Sparks timing key advances the timing 6 degrees, i would not run a sparks key with anything other than a stock motor if you still wanted a key and had 11:1 i would talk to Wheelie (member on here) about getting one of the keys he makes that r +3 keys

Sparks is deff the best pipe imo but is deffinitly pricey and a little overkill for a close to stock motor

I think u could find i nice used hmf sport or mayb a decent white bros. r4 or E series pretty cheap

trailrider894
10-18-2010, 08:18 AM
What your engine and suspension is going to look like will change with what you REALLY want to do with it. MX or XC? Or TT? I can help with MX in -lot of ways. I have been there and built a couple mx bikes before, years ago. lol