PDA

View Full Version : Complete motor source?

MtnEX
10-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Anyone have a link to a good source of complete 400EX engines.

I want a reverse motor, or a reverse bottom and I have been looking a long time with no reasonable results so far.

Best I have found is $600 + on a reverse bottom.

Best I have found is $1,000 on a complete reverse motor... and $1,300 + is what I have been seeing a long time now.

I'd almost rather just buy a whole reverse 400EX for a tad more... or just do something else...

I'd hate to finally let my 400EX go, but I have been looking a long time and this does not seem like all that reasonable of an upgrade so far.

CJM
10-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Far cheaper to buy a whole atv than the motor imho. Find an idiot who doesnt have a clue or a basketcase one that wont run right and buy that.

killer400ex
10-16-2010, 08:44 PM
why reverse? i mean im sure it comes in handy here and there but ive never had any real complaints about not having it, just some elbow grease and finesse will have my quad spun around and pointed in any direction i want it, i think that reverse is just added weight and one more thing to break and hastle with riding or during a bottom end tear down

CJM
10-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I can kinda understand why, on some tight trails it sucks to get it turned around. Sometimes you gotta make like a zillion point k turn it seems lol. I sometimes just jump off and move it, course by the time my buddies have engaged reverse im already ready to go lol..

MtnEX
10-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Well, not having reverse isn't anything severe... but it is an aggravation...

I have several reasons why I want it...

- You don't really realize how much it sucks to not have reverse until you have 3 ATV's and one doesn't have it. Then it gets on your nerves twice as bad.

- I spent 10 years not being able to ride at all due to back problems. My back is better now and I have never hurt it wrestling my 400EX around. But there is always that chance.

- My 400EX is the machine I like to take to new places FIRST. And I find myself needing reverse often exploring trails that turn out to be dead ends or cut off.

- My 400EX serves as my buddy quad often, and my buddies often get hung up and require assistance moving it around.

- We ride & cut a lot of minimally invasive trails. Meaning many are extremely tight. We cut or maintain many trails with just hedge clippers. And if we come to a spot where our trail will end unless we fall a tree or have to back up to make it around a spot, we will back up to make the turn and go on to avoid cutting a tree or having our trail dead end.

So while it is not absolute necessity, it sure would be really nice.

killer400ex
10-16-2010, 10:18 PM
yeah i hear you, i dont ride anywhere els besides the race tracks and some highly used trails in my area and for the most part they are clear and wide so yeah, i wasnt talking down on the reverse just giving my opinion, but if it is needed then go for it, just ex motors are generally cheaper without reverse cause they are few and far between compared to ones without it

MtnEX
10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by killer400ex
yeah i hear you, i dont ride anywhere els besides the race tracks and some highly used trails in my area and for the most part they are clear and wide so yeah, i wasnt talking down on the reverse just giving my opinion, but if it is needed then go for it, just ex motors are generally cheaper without reverse cause they are few and far between compared to ones without it

Yep... that seems to be the problem... almost seems as I could get a whole reverse EX for a few more beans... transfer a few parts and sell the rest off.

I came real close to just letting it go for another Polaris with enough left over for a box of go-goodies for every machine.

I'd hate to do that though because I feel the most confident in the worst places on the trusty 400EX. The Polaris is taller and tends to spook me more although it will sometimes go places my 400EX won't.

But I would be lying if I said I haven't found more of them complete in excellent condition for the same or less as a reverse motor build.

99400esex
10-17-2010, 06:20 AM
I always used to say "reverse is dumb, all it does it add extra weight that is not needed". Now that my friends have 700xx's all they have to do is flip a switch and they got reverse, haha. It seems like a nice option to have, but for me, id rather just hop off of it and push it, doesn't bother me at all. But I can understand why someone with say a back or knee injury would need it. I always try to find a little hill or something close by that I can ride up and coast backwards down before I actually get off the thing though!:D

killer400ex
10-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by 99400esex
I always used to say "reverse is dumb, all it does it add extra weight that is not needed". Now that my friends have 700xx's all they have to do is flip a switch and they got reverse, haha. It seems like a nice option to have, but for me, id rather just hop off of it and push it, doesn't bother me at all. But I can understand why someone with say a back or knee injury would need it. I always try to find a little hill or something close by that I can ride up and coast backwards down before I actually get off the thing though!:D

hahahaha x2 fer sure

HondaRacing83
10-17-2010, 01:32 PM
i dnt use the reverse on mine very much,i could go with out it.my raptor 250 didnt have reverse,i could just pick it up and move it then again it is extremely light.there has been a few times with sticky situtations when i was glad i had reverse

Racerjames
10-17-2010, 06:49 PM
When you loose the ruts in the winter and end up off the road, having reverse is helps when you are pushing it back out, you can push and giver throttle all at once