PDA

View Full Version : new guy here looking for some help

kev_gti5
10-15-2010, 07:16 PM
hi to all,

let me first say im pretty much a noob as comes to these atvs, my father bought me and my brother each a 2003 trx400ex at the end of last summer and well now that we have beaten them a litle im looking for some help,

im first wondering what a good air filter would be cause mine seems to be pretty beat up, i clean and oil it every time but now its just looks like it needs to be replaced, are the k&n paper filter conversion kits worth it ?

also wondering i just instaled a 14 tooth sprokect to get some more acelartion but i had to take a chain link off or else it was really loose, does this sound normal ?

also as it comes for brake pads i needed to replace them when i got the bike and i bought some really cheap sets off ebay and well they seem to last only one (4hours) ride so anyone know of some good but not too expensive pads, or are they supose to last longer even if they are cheap

so any and all advice apreciated, any things i should definately upgrade or look into ?

thanks

CJM
10-15-2010, 07:24 PM
A uni air filter is the best, its a foam filter you load up with oil and works very good. The KN are only so so, they dont filter as well and let junk into the carb.

You went down a tooth, its smaller so removing a link should be fine-OR you really should have tried to tighten the axle more and get the slack out of the chain. You loosen the 4 cinch allen head bolts on the back of the swingarm and then take a punch, 1/4 extension, etc and slide the axle back by moving the adjuster on the left side near the sprocket.

I use EBS sinerated metal pads, nothing special really. Fronts are still good after about 20 hours this past few months. As for the rears, if it still has the parking brake and its wearing the pads you need to adjust the brake or in reality REMOVE the whole parking brake assembly. Its useless (lock the bike in gear if you dont want it moving) and all it does is waste the pads.

I highly recommend download or buying the 400EX service manual. It will help alot and tells oyu step by step how to do things: http://www.maxmekker.com/atv.asp

Welcome to the forum!

4reeds
10-15-2010, 07:24 PM
K&n's or uni would be my choice.If its muddy wet conditions I would trust the uni more.I would replace the chain.Sounds stretched out to me.I don't remember having to shorten mine but its been along time.Your brakes should last longer then that.Check out rockymountainatv for decent prices.

kev_gti5
10-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by CJM
A uni air filter is the best, its a foam filter you load up with oil and works very good. The KN are only so so, they dont filter as well and let junk into the carb.

You went down a tooth, its smaller so removing a link should be fine-OR you really should have tried to tighten the axle more and get the slack out of the chain. You loosen the 4 cinch allen head bolts on the back of the swingarm and then take a punch, 1/4 extension, etc and slide the axle back by moving the adjuster on the left side near the sprocket.

I use EBS sinerated metal pads, nothing special really. Fronts are still good after about 20 hours this past few months. As for the rears, if it still has the parking brake and its wearing the pads you need to adjust the brake or in reality REMOVE the whole parking brake assembly. Its useless (lock the bike in gear if you dont want it moving) and all it does is waste the pads.

I highly recommend download or buying the 400EX service manual. It will help alot and tells oyu step by step how to do things: http://www.maxmekker.com/atv.asp

Welcome to the forum!

thanks i had tried to tighten it and it still was prety loose so i just removed a link,

and i just ordered a uni airfilter

honda400ex2003
10-15-2010, 08:58 PM
imo i like the k&n with an outerwear the best for general riding. I have always had good luck with mine at least. as for the chain, i would suggest replacing it if you had to take a link out of it. it is stretched quite a bit if a link has to come out. the new ones have plenty of room to spare on with a 14/38 some guys even run 13/38 on a stock chain if it is a new one. I like the ebc severe duty but they are a bit overkill for most situations. I ride in quite a bit of sand and mud so the harder pad is nice. you can def tell that it is a harder pad though it takes a bit longer to get stopped. as suggested for general riding the sintered are probably the way to go. I second the manual download also. also check out all of the stickies at the top and if you dont find it in there ask. lol welcome to the site and the additiion, as much as you want to tell yourself it wont get you, it will... trust me, i get more stuff all the time and though that i was done a long time ago. it isnt just for atvs either the sleds too. steve