PDA

View Full Version : For all you guys that race

image151
10-14-2010, 09:51 PM
So now that all the factories are starting to pull out, anyone think we'll be seeing hybrids pop back up at nationals?...i've been talking to walsh and they are redoing their hybrid chassis..that just makes me wonder if these bikes are gna make a comeback...i sure do hope so..i'll retire my ltr in a heart beat and go back to my crf and possibly build another

Lasher
10-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Until they lift the ban on hybrids in the pro class, then I doubt it will be that big.

A few will pop up, I have seen it this season in NEATV. Last race there were a couple hybrids hitting the track. And next season, NEATV will have another one (my son's Walsh CRF).

image151
10-19-2010, 12:47 PM
i kinda doubt they'll pop back up in the pro class anytime soon..but i'd love to get back on my at the nationals..i raced mine in 450B last year at steel city and im pretty sure there was one other guy on a hybrid and that was it..and there was a couple at ballance this year i think..I talked to Nate Walsh and they're redesigning there CRF frames to accomidate a 2010-11 crf engine and updating a few other things..so i may breakdown and build another one....the thought of a built newer crf motor on an updated walsh set up with floats makes my knees weak lol

Lasher
10-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I might need to call up Nate and ask if the 09 CRF chassis we just brought can be modified....interesting since we do not have a motor yet...

10-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Mike is right. This sport is monkey see, monkey do. If the pro's are racing production quads, so will 99% of the amateurs.

250Renvy
10-22-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't think many people could afford it. Hybrids in their hayday were 25K machines and still would be. Pro's could afford it but the average racer would just buy a used production machine if they stop making them.

$5K for just a chassis is hard to justify when a complete machine can be bought for that.

racerx573
10-24-2010, 02:35 AM
When no one's getting paid to ride anything they'll ride what works for them. History's just repeating itself.

10-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by racerx573
When no one's getting paid to ride anything they'll ride what works for them. History's just repeating itself.

You're exactly right. In fact, I was just looking at the Ironman results and Josh Upperman was there to race. He was listed on a KTM! The nationals next year should be very interesting.

I, for one, am not upset at all to see the factories leaving. I don't think they did much good for the sport, unless you happened to be on one of their teams. I think many good riders stopped racing the nationals when the factories came back because they couldn't compete against the unlimited funds of the factories. I hope that changes for 2011 and the playing field levels out a little bit. I'm tired of seeing 14 pro's on the gate.

hrc450er
10-26-2010, 06:39 AM
upperman was riding in place of josh kirkland who's injured and rides a ktm. i dont know if i would look into that a whole lot

Rohr397
11-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 8686
I, for one, am not upset at all to see the factories leaving. I don't think they did much good for the sport, unless you happened to be on one of their teams. I think many good riders stopped racing the nationals when the factories came back because they couldn't compete against the unlimited funds of the factories. I hope that changes for 2011 and the playing field levels out a little bit. I'm tired of seeing 14 pro's on the gate.

In a way I agree with you, but there needs to be more factory backed teams. It's one thing to have a few top riders on a full factory team but if they stayed there's a chance that non-sport sponsors would come in and pick up privateers to grow the sport. If you look at Motocross they have the main factory, plus teams like Canidae Suzuki. Those teams are the ones that help the privateers finance racing. Now it's likely that only a few guys will be able to race every weekend and that means there's not a solid points battle. Whoever has the money will win this year and that's the harsh reality of ATV racing right now. Had the factories stuck around and picked up more riders maybe that would be different.

dehner47
11-15-2010, 08:04 AM
factory backing is nice. and it deff helped our sport grow. but in my opinion, id much rather see local teams show back up at the nationals with possible factory support. cause there are a few shops that use to have teams and the economy shut them down. and bring back "shop teams" with support, would help our sport grow and also help these "shops" get back to doing what they do. building bikes and winning races. cause we can have all the factory support we want, but if we dont have the Teams "Nacs Racing, K&K Racing, Lonestar Racing ect" at the races, our sport will never make it..

blaster12s
11-15-2010, 09:40 AM
i agree^

Rohr397
11-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by dehner47
factory backing is nice. and it deff helped our sport grow. but in my opinion, id much rather see local teams show back up at the nationals with possible factory support. cause there are a few shops that use to have teams and the economy shut them down. and bring back "shop teams" with support, would help our sport grow and also help these "shops" get back to doing what they do. building bikes and winning races. cause we can have all the factory support we want, but if we dont have the Teams "Nacs Racing, K&K Racing, Lonestar Racing ect" at the races, our sport will never make it.. I guess that's kind of what I meant. My point is that I think that there needs to be more teams rather than people paying out of their own pocket to truck around the country. I'm not sure how to make that happen but the dirtbikes brought that in through the factory success. A lot of the motivation was that if the team became good the factory would make them the flagship. Right now there aren't a whole lot of teams because the sport doesn't seem like its worth investing in. If the factory fails than it gives the small teams a bad feeling. Hopefully the teams you mentioned come back though, maybe they can do what the factories couldn't. We also have to keep in mind that atvmx is recovering from the 90s and it may take time to become big again.

kodymx13
12-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by image151
So now that all the factories are starting to pull out, anyone think we'll be seeing hybrids pop back up at nationals?...i've been talking to walsh and they are redoing their hybrid chassis..that just makes me wonder if these bikes are gna make a comeback...i sure do hope so..i'll retire my ltr in a heart beat and go back to my crf and possibly build another

i will NEVER ride anything but my jb/crf. but stay tuned, big things coming out first of year.

Lasher
12-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by dehner47
factory backing is nice. and it deff helped our sport grow. but in my opinion, id much rather see local teams show back up at the nationals with possible factory support. cause there are a few shops that use to have teams and the economy shut them down. and bring back "shop teams" with support, would help our sport grow and also help these "shops" get back to doing what they do. building bikes and winning races. cause we can have all the factory support we want, but if we dont have the Teams "Nacs Racing, K&K Racing, Lonestar Racing ect" at the races, our sport will never make it..

I remember seeing K&K ATV go from a small local shop racing locally to running the nationals with big name pro riders. I talked with Shawn a bunch and could not believe his costs to go to the nationals...just in gas alone for his rig.

I am seeing a trend in the NEATV series where local shops are fielding teams with some factory backing. This past year...

BCS was working with Can-Am
DRT was working with KTM
Southside was working with Polaris

My son and I have dreams of running a Walsh team. We already have two (well 1 and 1/2 right now) Walsh quads but want to get set up better (and finish the CRF) for the races before trying to be "official".