PDA

View Full Version : Motoworks clutch

ScottB125
10-14-2010, 06:59 PM
My clutch went out, so I ordered a Motowork plate/spring kit. When I pulled the stock clutches out, two were all broken up, but looked to be contained in the assembly. I seem to have lucked out!

What I was wondering...the stock clutch had 9 friction disks and 8 steel. the Motorworks has 8 friction disks and 10 steels...

Did they forget some parts or what?

Thanks

OutlawBill
10-15-2010, 08:12 AM
my SWAG is one of the steels is thicker that you can use to freshen up your clutch when it gets some were on it

ScottB125
10-17-2010, 07:53 AM
I didn't mic the steels, but all appear the same thickness.

I'm thinking they forgot to send one of the frictions....I have a call out to them.

TNT
10-17-2010, 08:43 AM
I believe MW's runs 8 with thier basket and HUB. If you have the 08 stock set-up that will work. If you got the 09 stock update to the HUB and added plate you run 9 plate inverted per the bulliten.

ScottB125
10-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TNT
I believe MW's runs 8 with thier basket and HUB. If you have the 08 stock set-up that will work. If you got the 09 stock update to the HUB and added plate you run 9 plate inverted per the bulliten.

I have an 08, it had 9 frictions. I didn't add one, unless the dealer did....I have MW basket and hub and it seemed to have worked ok.....but that could also be the reason I had 2 shattered frictions.

I put it together with 8, it doesn't work. I did leave out 3 steels though. I set it up like the stock clutch. From a rotating weight stand-point, it would make more sense to add another friction vs putting steels in to take up the slack.

I was trying to ride today and its not going to happen, so I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks

nvrpmx
10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Scott I hope you got your questions answered ok on your clutch issue. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to call.

Be sure to adjust it at the cover first before adjusting at the lever.

Thanks
Ty

ScottB125
10-20-2010, 06:47 AM
In case anyone else has this issue, with the MW basket, hub, etc... You use 9 frictions.

They mistakenly put an extra steel my package vs a friction.

TNT
10-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Theres a thread on HQ he was told 8. Seems like with all the confusion surrounding this stock clutch and the MW's product it would be a good idea for them to give an instruction sheet. I've seen different #'s of frictions stated by users out here. I'm just suggesting MW's does this so thier product last and is installed correctly, and reduce the time you spend on the phone answering these questions.....

The 2009-9 bulletin states to invert the plates and specifies a sequence, does the MW's require this? Also can you run a stock 08 and/or 2009-9 hub with a MW's basket? If you can how many plates in either case? One guy had to send his stock basket to BCS to get the gear off and put on the MW's and had a oil hole drilled in his hub(is that required?)he said.....Do the stock springs work? Address those questions in a bulletin of your own or on your website.

In any case, from the pics I've seen online looks like a real nice billet assy, never seen one fail either.

nvrpmx
10-21-2010, 07:26 PM
The Motoworks clutch basket assembly is only sold in the kit.
It comes with the basket, hub , and the inner pressure plate.
You use stock frictions and steels and it takes 9 frictions and 8 steels. Motoworks also has spring kits available in stock and heavy duty.
There are no holes required to be drilled but you do have to use your gear on the motoworks basket. It's no different than a honda basket you would buy from hinson the gear must be removed and used on the new basket.

The can am updated clutch basket is the one that requires a extra steel plate and you can not mismatch the two. Can ams updated kit must be used together.

Hope this clears some of the confusion up and we will take your advise and put a instruction sheet in with the kit.

Thanks