PDA

View Full Version : explain SD card Class speed for me...

tri5ron
10-14-2010, 04:10 PM
hey all,
just got a GoPro Hero HD for my B-day.
I need to get a SD card for it.
I know the 16gb or 32gb would be the cards of choice,...

but what does the Class speed mean?

Instructions recommend class 4 or higher.
I've seen some labled as class 6.
does it go any higher than that?

what are the performance comparisons between class 4 and class 6, (or higher) ?

Also, are there any preffered brands? (or "stay-away" brands) ?

On Edit-
(I have read the Wikpedia definitions for speed classes already).
what i'm looking for is a explanation of "what, how and why",
in "old man" english terms, LOL!

Thanks

rinconrider
10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
I like to stick to the secure digital made ones but i cant really help you on the speeds of them. I would try to get the best you can since it looks like there are class 10 and 12 ones out there. it looks like it really doesnt matter how fast the card is if the camera cant process it any faster than a certain limit. say your hd cam only processes at 4 megabyte per second any card over 4 would be over kill. I would say that if it recommends 6 then you should stick with a 6 meg or an 8 to be safe. although i didnt see anything about an 8 so either 6 or 10 may be your options. really it depends on the actual specs of the camera though.

rinconrider
10-14-2010, 05:09 PM
pny are also a good choice along with kingston and patriot cards. from go pro:

It sounds like your SD card may not be compatible with the HD HERO camera for video. Many Lexar cards are unfortunately unable to work properly with the camera. They either can not keep up with the HD video or just do not record at all.

Did you ever try out a different SD card in the camera? Have you tried reformatting the SD card?

We recommend name brand SD cards with a class 4 rating or higher, but have recently come to learn that even some name brand
cards are having compatibility issues with the HD HERO camera.

We are currently working on doing a full listing of recommended (and not recommended) cards. We are researching further to determine why some cards are not adhering to the spec to which our SD card host adapter conforms. Internally we use Kingston or Patriot brand cards: 16GB, Class 4 without issue, so can safely recommend those.

Please do try out one of the Kingston or Patriot brand cards, and the video recording should work fine.

Let us know how it goes.

Many thanks,

GoPro Support
http://www.gopro.com/support

-it looks to me like the kingston class 4 16 or 32 will be the best ones for the camera since that is what go pro used when designing it.

honda400ex2003
10-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I second Rincons suggestion, PNY and kingston get my vote also! steve

rinconrider
10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91868

thats the link that i found the part of the emal from. it says to only use the kingston ones! Let us know how you like it!

NacsMXer
10-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I went with a Patriot 16GB Class 6 SDHC card from Newegg.com for my GoPro HD.

I've never used a Patriot brand card before, but it works flawlessly and is recommended by GoPro. 16GB is also plenty of space; if you went with a 32GB, the battery would run out long before the card would fill up. And if you did fill a 32 gig card, that is a LOT of helmet cam footage to be going through watching lol.

There was also a mail in rebate offer on in at the time so I jumped on it. But the price is still rather reasonable IMO, 35 bucks free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220254