PDA

View Full Version : Gliddens NJ - Respectful Older Rider Requesting Info

sprfrkr
10-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Hello,
Just getting back into riding after many long years of being off a quad. Just have a basic utility quad for now. My friend and I have been riding at Sarco and it has been a lot of fun. Cops have stopped us on the way in and out and have actually been good with us. I think it is because we are a bit older and have been cooperative with them.

We would like to try Gliddens as we hear it is the best in NJ. I understand that not too many people want to share the secret of a good riding spot, but I am requesting someone to pm me with at least some hints on how to get there and where to park.

It would just be for myself and friend as we don't have anyone else to ride with.

Thanks.

Safe riding!

Duceswild
10-15-2010, 08:59 AM
I spent the better part of my youth in that pit. Back when you could go back and fourth in-between Lakewood and Gliddens pits via the RR tracks. The only other pit that was comperable was Lacy pit which I understand closed years ago.
Half of Gliddens is gone now due to the golf course that was constructed. Locals can still get in but some have ridden on the golf course itself which has tightened up security. Got chased there by State troopers myself once upon a time.
Gliddens is NOT what it used to be and YES, it was an off road paradise in it's day.
There are still secret entrances along the back side by Pine acre and off Bowmen Rd but the way I hear it, you still take your chances.
GOD I MISS THAT PLACE!

Duceswild
10-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Just out of curiosity, how are you getting into Sarco now-a-days?
Off of 70 in Manchester or by the highschool. I rode there too. Cant remember the name of the developement behind the WAWA there on 70 west (theres also a bar there now). he was the next jug handle going east, but on that west side I remember a factory or office building and further down was a dead end with the entrance to what we called "Blue Lake" Sarco at the time.
Heck I remember getting all the way to Whiting from there.
I used to live in Lakehurst for a time.

sprfrkr
10-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Thank you Dueceswild. Very informative.

We have actually been going in the front of Sarco which is risky.

We had two encounters with police.

Once, the cop was sitting just at the railroad tracks around the bend when we pulled up fully trailered. We approached him slowly and explained to him some friends were back there, even a few police we were riding with...he was very cool.

We were also stopped on the way out fully trailered and muddy. He again, was very cool. He said we really need to find another entrance if we wanted to ride there. We haven't been back since, but during the time riding there, we tried to scout some other entrances, so I guess we will try them next.

They let us go both times, but stated that would not go on forever and they will begin cracking down if we continued to use that entrance.

Duceswild
10-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm surprised, were they Manchester cops? Never met one I liked...LOL.
Believe me, you gonna run into Paliski one of these days. He patrols there still to this day. He's not gonna give you a break, he gonna give you a summons.
There is a way to get permission to ride there, but you have to contact the owner and sign a waiver, at least back in the day you could....obviously we never did.
there should still be a pit down 70 in Browns mill. Many know of it and it's safer than Sarco.

Duceswild
10-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Laffin @ "Respectful Older Rider"
Lets break that down and define, what you mean to say is;
Tired of getting hurt and dont heal as fast these days anyway, tired of getting chased with too much to lose, and the wife will kill me if I have to use money ta get the dam bike she dont want me to have in the first place, out of impound.
Make no mistake about it.....I aint laffin AT ya.....I'm Laffin WITH ya.
lets just hope you laffin too.

sprfrkr
10-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Haha, yeah of course. A bit slower in my older years. not sure how that happened. Maybe the spine surgery, who knows...still have a lot of fun riding though.

Yes, they were manchester cops. I'll have to track down the Browns Mills pit, sounds like a good option.

Duceswild
10-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I PM'd you some directions. Good luck.

NJChris
10-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Sarco still rideable? Wow I gotta go back. I was always certain the morons from Staten Island would ruin it for good.

sprfrkr
10-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I just wanted to give a heads up on last weekend. Well, we found someplace, and it was great.

See this map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=clayton&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&radius=1.97&sll=40.071504,-74.336758&sspn=0.022463,0.061927&split=1&rq=1&ev=zi&hq=clayton&hnear=&ll=40.068384,-74.335985&spn=0.022464,0.061927&z=15

We went past the power lines on bowman road and turned in a trail about 1/4 mile past. We rode there an hour looking for an access trail to the large pit we saw on our gps. We then packed up and drove a bit further back up bowman, rode another hour, and still couldn't find an access path. Finally, we just drove down the power lines next to the Patriot Parks sports complex and stashed the jeep and trailer off to the side. We thought it would be an easy ride in, but it wasn't at all. Fallen trees, large stumps, swamp, etc made it tough, but we got through it.

We got into a *huge* pit area which surrounded a large lake. It was an active pit for sure. I am not sure, but I don't think it was Gliddens. It may have been Claytons. Regardless, it was huge. It was also a lot of fun with a variety of features and not very crowded at all on a nice Sunday.

We tried looking for a better parking/entrance for a later date by going to the outer corners of the place, but no such luck.

Was still a lot of fun. Any comparison between Gliddens and Clayton (if that is where we were...)

deathman53
10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
you guys know the cops do look at these forums?? I know where you are talking about, the other side is blocked up, there is huge concrete barrages where it crosses the road, the hunting club is destroying bridges also. parking there is bad news.

snowboardin180
10-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey everyone I went to Sarco this past weekened and it was awsome as you all know lol anyway there was a ton of people and we only saw one manchester cop. He came down we left and that was the end of it. I am planing another trip there for Nov 13th if anyone is gonna be around. I dont think the cops bother anyone anymore unless you give them a problem. I have a spot where I park but I was woundering if anyone can help me out and get me a better spot. If anyone can help or has a better spot I can go ridding let me know. I am from Norther NJ not a New Yorker lol I see many people don't like them. Thanks in advance.
Anthony