PDA

View Full Version : A Z400 or Keep My 400ex?

Foxrage
02-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Well I can Trade mine in for a Z400 and probly keep my wheels and tires and handle bars off my 400. I planed on putting my 400ec back to stock form before trading it in and letting my mom pay the difference. Should I keep mine and keep modding it or get a Z400? Thanks

250x#93
02-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Keep yours, Why would you buy a suzuki:huh when you have a perfectly good HONDA

Chanman420q
02-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 250xredrider
Keep yours, Why would you buy a suzuki:huh when you have a perfectly good HONDA

why start over? :huh

stupid driver
02-08-2003, 03:18 PM
:confused: :confused2 :confused:

gun32boarder
02-08-2003, 05:29 PM
of course you are going to get stay with honda but i was going to a 400ex and i saw all of the advatages of the Z and i went and got it instead of the EX

Glow Plug
02-08-2003, 05:42 PM
why would you pay for a new quad when you have something moded and then you can put more money into your 400ex and then make it beat a z :huh

toby400ex
02-08-2003, 05:52 PM
i see no reason to go through the hassle unless you are a hard core racer, all the z has is reverse liquid cooling and 1 more horse power, not to mention frame problems and a weak axle unless they have fixed that.:o

gun32boarder
02-08-2003, 05:56 PM
if he is going to race most likely he is going to re enforce the frame, but you never know you can crack you frame on your 400ex frame and get a axel even know the later model 2003 have fixed the problems.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Switch from a 400ex to a Z? :ermm: What for? 1hp, and a weaker frame? :huh

Sparks425Ex
02-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Keep the EX. It handles better. Plus it a HONDA.

trailburner
02-08-2003, 07:00 PM
keep the honda,there very reliable & you know they look better!!!

02-08-2003, 07:25 PM
desicions desicions huh

QuAdRaCeR244
02-08-2003, 10:05 PM
KEEP THE HONDA:macho

kwatts400
02-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Stick with your Honda. Unless your getting an r.

Glow Plug
02-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by kwatts400
Stick with your Honda. Unless your getting an r.

an r is a honda :rolleyes: but anyway stick with your ex unless you want to ride something diffrent but still youcan mod you ex and make i way better than the z will be

QuadTrix6
02-09-2003, 09:10 AM
stay with the EX, don't buy into all the dirtwheels hype about the Z its way overrated :rolleyes:

spincr4hire
02-12-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Switch from a 400ex to a Z? :ermm: What for? 1hp, and a weaker frame? :huh

32 vs. 28 stock = 4hp, not 1:D

MSL
02-12-2003, 06:56 AM
If you didnt already have a 400 i would say get the Z but since you do keep it.

kentuckycat
02-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Do you like getting off the EX and pushing every time you need to back up? If not, check out the Z, it's a great machine.

spincr4hire
02-13-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by kentuckycat
Do you like getting off the EX and pushing every time you need to back up? If not, check out the Z, it's a great machine.

I used to love that about my EX...:D

MSL
02-13-2003, 07:47 AM
come on guys reverse is no reason to sale a modded 400ex to get a Z400.

you z guys are just as bias as you accuse honda owners of being.

spincr4hire
02-13-2003, 08:28 AM
...liquid cooling , reverse, & 4 more stock ponies is, though.
(my ex had no engine mods other than pipe/jet kit, BTW).

I'm not biased, if Honda would have had a liquid-cooled bike with reverse, I would own another Honda right now.

01TRX300EX
02-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Get the Z, its better. Just about everyone at my local track switched from the 400EX's to Z400's. They must know something.

Moded86R
02-13-2003, 10:44 PM
Personally I would rather a have a z400.I am a honda man and always have been.The z is a nice machine though.And I rememebr when the 400's first came one.Like one person cracked there swingarm and everyone said that they where weak and all kinds of BS.

The z has reverse,liquid cooling and more power.What else do you want?

VooDuu Child
02-17-2003, 11:41 AM
The Z also has dual overhead cams as opposed to one in the EX. go Z and never look back. It's an excellent machine. When racing, any frame is going to need gussetting, and any axle is going to need replacing. And mod for mod, the Z DOES make MORE power, period. (the ex is a great machine too, the Z is just better.)

400grl
02-18-2003, 04:26 PM
My boyfriend's brother bought a Z about 3 months ago - he hasn't been riding it much because it's been in the shop more than it has been in his garage.........first, the tranny started having problems between 1st and 2nd - then the timing chain stretched and was causing ticking noises.....his axle is bent now and he has cracks above his shock mounts. Now, he just took apart his engine due to knocking noises, and found tons of metal shavings in the bottom of the case (although, in all fairness, this could be do to a mistake the tech made when putting it together after the last repair....we don't know the cause yet). We have another friend that races the Kawasaki version.....his seat kept falling off during races....then, the next time I saw him at a race, he went 1/2 lap and his shift lever broke off inside the case and cracked the case wide open - oil everywhere........

I'm not saying that other manufacturers don't make good, dependable quads......but Honda can't be knocked because it's not the fastest thing out there, when it has such a good reputation for being there when you want to play.

I don't know, guys - I have never DNF'd a race due to anything messing up on my Honda - and mine's got some hours on it plus engine mods.........I always know it's going to start when I press that ignition switch. I am learning now, in racing, that it's not necessarily about who has the fastest quad around in a series, but whose quad is going to still be running at the end of that series.

Ride Red! Besides, at the 4-stroke nationals on Sunday I got my quad pressure washed by the White Bros/Honda semi......while the Suzukis and Yamahas sat around all muddy - just because it was a HONDA (with a White Bros pipe!).....nice perk!

raptor_02
02-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
32 vs. 28 stock = 4hp, not 1:D your a kentucky fan and that's great but.........................don't be dissen the EX. Actually the Z has 29hp and the ex has 27hp. May be different on different dynos but the Z just has 2 more HP overall. To me 2 HP isn't enough for me to get rid of my EX. But I have heard you can get AWESOME power out of a Z motor. Kory Ellis is kickin but on his Z and this is a guy that rode a DALE and a YZF 440. So that tells you that Z's can be built. But we are not talking built, we are talkin stock. In stock form the Z is very weak just like the EX.

SobeAHonda
02-18-2003, 05:19 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by kentuckycat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would rather push my EX than ride a Z. :blah

spincr4hire
02-19-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by raptor_02
your a kentucky fan and that's great but.........................don't be dissen the EX. Actually the Z has 29hp and the ex has 27hp. May be different on different dynos but the Z just has 2 more HP overall. To me 2 HP isn't enough for me to get rid of my EX. But I have heard you can get AWESOME power out of a Z motor. Kory Ellis is kickin but on his Z and this is a guy that rode a DALE and a YZF 440. So that tells you that Z's can be built. But we are not talking built, we are talkin stock. In stock form the Z is very weak just like the EX.

I'm not "dissin" the EX, I used to own one...but dollar for dollar, the Z is a better machine. It depends which dyno you look at as far as HP goes...Dirtwheels had the EX at just over 28, the Z just over 32. The Z can be built-up much cheaper than the EX, also.

raptor_02
02-19-2003, 10:49 AM
they are both pretty expensive to get big HP from. But there is no question that the Z is a little better. But is it worth trading an EX for. That answer has to be no. Only 2 more HP and is still going to give you more problems than a 400ex. If your a hardcore racer the Z would maybe be worth trading for. But if your just a trail banditt and occasional racer i'd stick with the honda.

spincr4hire
02-19-2003, 11:11 AM
this topic is a non-stop debate...I'm out:blah

MSL
02-19-2003, 11:22 AM
this topic is a non-stop debate

Yes it is.

They are both great quads imo.

Keep the EX or get the Z and then go ride the dang thing and have fun thats what its all about isnt it?

freakystone
02-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by MSL
If you didnt already have a 400 i would say get the Z but since you do keep it.

I agree 100%... Switching to a Z if you already have an EX is a waste. Take the $2000 it will cost you to upgrade and dump it in your EX.

I got lucky when I sold my EX last May. I got $4900 out of her. Then I went and bought a new Z400 OTD for $4954 so I had to upgrade. Times were different last year. THe used prices of EX's was still pretty good. Actually, when I sold the EX for $4900, I was offered $5300 the next day. Now you can find used EX's for $3000 to $3500 all day in mint condition.

I really wanted reverse. That is all. I didnt expect to pick up some extra power. The power isnt worth raving about anyway. I also picked up a Speed. Now she was a powerful stock quad. But the Z handles better. And the power is much more useful for everyday putzing.

If I was racing again, I would buy another Dale or build an R.

If you got the cash though and are looking at a new EX vs. a new Z, get the Z.

02' 400ex Racer
02-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Hey well monday i went and traded my honda 400ex for a Z and at first i was havin second thoughts on it but i kept my razrs and renthal bars. I would have to say go for the Z i like mine more every day, So do it. The longer you wait the more you're loosing, the retail is Nothing on a new ex anymore

raptor_02
02-20-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by freakystone
I agree 100%... Switching to a Z if you already have an EX is a waste. Take the $2000 it will cost you to upgrade and dump it in your EX.

I got lucky when I sold my EX last May. I got $4900 out of her. Then I went and bought a new Z400 OTD for $4954 so I had to upgrade. Times were different last year. THe used prices of EX's was still pretty good. Actually, when I sold the EX for $4900, I was offered $5300 the next day. Now you can find used EX's for $3000 to $3500 all day in mint condition.

I really wanted reverse. That is all. I didnt expect to pick up some extra power. The power isnt worth raving about anyway. I also picked up a Speed. Now she was a powerful stock quad. But the Z handles better. And the power is much more useful for everyday putzing.

If I was racing again, I would buy another Dale or build an R.

If you got the cash though and are looking at a new EX vs. a new Z, get the Z. I AGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT 100%

kgbg
02-21-2003, 02:19 PM
I own both machines. I wouldn't sell my 440ex for my z, but if I was buying new, I would be getting the z. I have one of the first ones, no problems at all. The frame might be alittle weaker, but both frames should be reinforced for racing/jumping. The z is abouth the same weight, but it feels lighter. The z is much smoother. If you built both motors, you can get a lot more out of the z. The suspension is better stock on the z. The 400ex is easier to do just about all the maintenance, it sucks to take off the plastic on the z, adjusting the chain sucks, jetting the carb is harder on the z, but all these new machines with more stuff on/in them are going to be harder to work on.
It's pretty simple:
More Power in the z (whatever some dyno says, the ex is slower)
Reverse in the Z
Same Dimesnsions
Same Weight
Same Tires
Same Price

Desert Rat
02-21-2003, 03:59 PM
I looked at and rode all the new quads this fall and winter and ended up buying a Predator. A lot of goodies for the money ($5,600)and plenty ponies. 42hp stock and you add about 10 more for about $350 if you have a good dealer. Talk to Rath Racing. I ride deserts and dunes, which is more wide open than trails. Didn't want to waite any longer for Honda to come out with a new performance quad a step up from the 400ex. I kept my 440ex and 310r. I've owned a quadzilla, a banshee and a Tecate 4 also and don't knock any of them. Their all great, if thats what you have to ride.