PDA

View Full Version : South Jersey?

Duceswild
10-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I recently moved to south Jersey. Long time rider, its something that Never leaves you. Now my wife and children want to start riding as well. Is there any place left to teach my boys how to ride without fear of the law. I hear lots of stories about Vineland and places down that way but have never seen any of them.
Secondly, I'm torn between the Honda TRX 450R and the Kawasaki KFX 450. I do love the reverse offered by the KFX, can anyone weigh in on which is better for trail, pit and woods riding?
I'm new and I'm sure these questions have been answered before but I cant seem to find them.
Thanks in advance.

PS...last nights South Park about Jersey Shore.....ahhh Christ, What can I say, funny but what a misguided perception.

brokenmike
10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Pm'ed you

Duceswild
10-14-2010, 12:07 PM
GOD I'm gettin old! OK, after smackin my head against the table a few times I managed to figure out A. how to retrieve a PM and then B. how to respond to it!
Hope I got it right.

Thanks Mike

tripsover88
10-22-2010, 07:05 PM
hey man nice to see someone who is still trying to ride in south jersey. i got a few spots but with hunting season the game warden is patroling all the trials to my spot. once your their its not a prob. im scouting a few other spots to ride an found an old one that still up and thats in vineland behind the clayton substation accros the street from the rigins off rt55. that privetlly owned by a corperation that plans to build something so no worrys about game wardens just cops. but only if they get a call. if its helps the NJMP in millville is building a MX track real soon, (within the next month) if you want more info PM me also the state just pulled the funding on the ATV patrolls to save moneys so alost of sand plant are open again.

CJ

panteramatt
11-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Im from S.J. and there used to be ENDLESS spots to ride here. Theres virtually nothing anymore. Its really upsetting. Sure there are some spots left, but I got tired of looking over my shoulder and fretting over every sound you here. Just aint worth it.

CJM
11-09-2010, 05:46 PM
^ pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I literally have 1, maybe 2 places to ride these days-everything else is off limits thanks to cops, conservation officers and security.

jbizzle1286
11-21-2010, 10:54 PM
yea I'd like to check out a few riding spots for the Thanksgiving 2010 holiday. I live in Cape may county and there are like 2-3 places to ride down here but nothing extravagant lol. if u guys know of any good places in Cumberland or Gloucester counties PM me please!! myself & a couple friends are trying to ride this wkd if any1 wants to link up our crews..

04yfz450nj
11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
man I miss riding always use to ride in sarco great place as long as u have somewhere to park havent had a quad since 08 want another one but it jus seems like a hassle to ride anywhere

yfm250rider
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
i dont think theres a inch of legal public land to ride in nj does stop many though. Theres all sorts of land to ride in central jersey just pull on to a dirt road and get far anoth in so cops dont bust your balls. check out jones road off of well mills road and theres acouple sand pits of route nine. ANd go with the honda the kalws are crap.

CJM
02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Heres some interesting news I learned of awhile back:

If you register your atv, part of those fees are supposed to go to build 3 different atv parks in nj (north, central, south). But currently who knows where the money goes.

I ride at the sand pits everyone in the area goes to. There arent to many other places to go, only other place I used to go to was fireroads but some overzealous conservation officers began patrolling it and bothering everyone. Funny tho, did you know if you have a dual sport its TOTALLY legal to ride anywhere in NJ-thats cause its a legal road vehicle and legal road vehicles are allowed on things like forests and fireroads..

Way it goes I guess, one day Ill leave and im sure so long as I dont move to a city Ill find somewhere else. Shame tho, NJ has the best terrain imho, go central to south you got the pine barrens and the mix of loose dirt and sand, go north and you get the trails with the rocks and harder terrain, go really far south and its like the dunes.

deathman53
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
a few more interesting things, its only 100% if its an approved road and/or a normal road sized vehicle fits. A reg/ins dirtbike/dual sport is only legal if it has dot approved everything, yes....tires also. Now how much fun is that? I ride them, they are technically illegal to ride on public/state/forest property as they are. It matters how much the ranger/cop wants to bust balls. I never got a full dot inspection from a ranger/cop, but it has happened. There is one ranger in particular who is famous for busting balls...Wayne Tunison, every off-roader who met him will never forget it. NJ sucks, 3-5 parks by 05..........never happened, greens, locals and slow moving of the epa/dot. There has been several location for off-road parks, all abandoned gravel pits, now how can you destroy the land more?????? The greens and locals fought it and won. Now they are going against the enduros and dual sports that several enduro clubs hold.....and they are working hard and getting trails excluded and making events hard and expensive to hold.

Also, stop posting places the ride, the spot by georges caught my eye, it just attracts cops/ranger. You are making someones semi-trouble-free place mobbed. That land in particular is a wma w/ NO OFF-ROAD VEHICLES signs everywhere. Enough said, alot of un needed attention is on the area that was posted before.

CJM
02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Thats why most of us wont share where we go.

The last time I encountered a game warden I thought about running but having parked inside the WMA, and him blocking the entrance and road out I decided to stay put. He was nice enough to only fine me and my buddy for trespassing thank god. Still wasnt a nice guy.

lonnie1977
03-13-2011, 06:06 PM
I have been riding in Jersey since 04 and just don't feel comfortable in most spots. I have never had a problem with a cop when stopped and I have been stopped almost every spot in Jersey and PA I have ridden. I always stop, turn off quad and take off my helmet as soon as I see a cop-ranger. Always let me go with a verbal waring. I know that will end soon. I need a place to teach my girl to ride now and I am kind of weirded out about a local place but its close and easy to get too. Guess I will take my chances.

CJM
03-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Where do you live lonnie? hit me up in a pm and if your close enough you can come with my gang.

Duceswild
03-27-2011, 08:25 AM
I used to ride Lakewood pit behind the hospital, Gliddens pit in Jackson (hell my sister used to live right next door). I was lucky enough to ride Lacy pit before they locked it up. I rode Sarco all the way out to Whiting, been to Black Beards in South Toms River, Bayville I think. We've stomped every mud hole from Chatsworth to Monmouth County all the way up to Morganville. Last year I found a lil ole place in Washington Township to bring my kids ages 13 thru 3 and last week the PD shut it down. When we were younger, hell running was a game, today it's not an option. I find it so hard to believe that riders have become so unwanted and forced out of literally everywhere. I feel for the kids who just want to experience the thrill of learning to ride and becomming part of a culture. Seems as though theres nothing left to do but travel to other states or hang it up completely. I know we dont speak of places here in public but if anyone has any bastion left worth taking some youngsters (Im in Harrison Twn, Mullica Hill), please IM me. Im told of a place in PA, a couple of hours west, where it's 35$ a bike and 15$ a person. They say you can ride all day without the fear of police.....hope it's true.

panteramatt
03-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Theres a TON of places to ride in Pa duces. I dont live far from you and my wife actually works in Mullica hill. I may have permission soon to ride 1100 acres near here and if I do your more than welcome to go.

Duceswild
03-27-2011, 11:35 AM
My heart just skipped a beat as a smile arose to my face. Do keep me posted if anything evolves out of your efforts. Just checked out Slippery Rock Dunes and Breezewood proving grounds, looks great but still far for me and the crew. IM me if any new news develops and thanks for lookin out brother.

CJM
03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
FWIW I wont mention names, but deduce the fact I live very close to a certain sand pit you mentioned Duceswild, its now owned by another company than you mentioned as well. but its still alive and well and not one single person is ever bothered since its no state/county/town forest-itsprivate property and the people who own it dont care.

Sure it gets old, but such as the way it goes.

Id love to go PA but most places are very far and VERY rocky that ive been too. my little 400ex cant handle them rocks, need a utility for that. or its the coal mines, which is cool till you cough up black soot later.

I do agree NJ sucks, Im not sure why its become so frowned upon. Maybe its b/c of all the lawsuits by idiot lawyers against the state or the people who own the land-IDK for sure. Maybe its the tree huggers, who fear we might run over the spotted salamander, maybe its idiots who moved to the areas in the last 10 years and didnt realize that your in the woods and people do this kinda stuff?

Whatever it is Im getting sick of it, I dont stop period. Id love for them to outrun me, thats just not possible if your a good rider. About all they can do is ticket you if they find you when you leave.

Duceswild
03-28-2011, 05:44 PM
CJM..I dont think you give that 400EX enough credit there kid...LOL. I assume ur talking about the pit AKA B.L.
Sounds like we've crossed some of the same tracks.
Back in the day I lived in Lakehurst, right off the circle about two blocks up on the west side. Brother in Law used to live in Manchester, in the developement behind the wawa on 37. (hell we used to ride CB Gige *not sure of the spelling* before they got busted for allowing illegal dumping. My sister lived off Bowmen Rd in Jackson right next to the back side of Gliddens.
You should IM me, I'd love to hear whats been going on round those parts these days.

CJM
03-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Check your pm Duces!

Duceswild
03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Back at ya!

OldGuyonaQuad
04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Hey guys new to this forum (1st post)
like you all I am from NJ. I just got a ticket a couple of weeks ago in Wharton. We used to go in from Raritan in Atco but my brother in law just saw a Ranger on a 800 Polaris this past Sunday so it looks like our favorite riding spot is gone.

I read a line (forget who posted it) when asked where to ride in NJ he said:
"The best place to ride in NJ is PA." Sad but true
Anyway if you are looking for a couple of extra responsible adult riders to join along please pm me the info. We are a group of anywhere from 2 - 6 guys all on stock Honda 400Ex's :D

We might wind up going to Pohopoco Tract (aka Dixon MIller recreation are) on Saturday. It's a little more then 2 hours each way just past Pocono Raceway but a safe place to ride locally would be nice.

Duceswild
04-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Old Guy, PM'd you.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
thanks Dueces I got your pm and will reply later from home. Could someone pm me the info on said sand pit where nobody bothers you?

Hey CJM if that acreage does open up do you think you could extend an invite to some casual riders? We ride maybe every other weekend and we are very resposible riders.

Oh and I agree with Dueces you either dont have the right tires on that 400 or you are not giving it enough credit. Mine climbs hills just fine. BTW the place below in the poconos has nice hills and few rocks.

We rode 2 plus hours up to the Poconos yesterday only to find out that Pohopoco (aka Dixon Miller) is closed until the Saturday before Memorial Day, guess I should have checked the web site a little closer.

so we went to Millville (Menantico Pond) and got chased by some inbreads claiming to be the lease owners (yea right ) more like live here for free and call the cops on tresspassers. His mongoloid son tried to take pictures of on his cell phone as we were leaving. Luckily we got out there before popo showed up (if they actually called).

Good places to ride in NJ are dwindling. The problem in this state is locals complaining about tresspassers but more importantly the NJDEP can't come up with any sites for an ORV park without the Sierra Club & Jeff Tittel getting their asses in the air. Get this even if land was once occupied and left to rot they will block the attempt to develope anything where new eco systems developed. So the pineland tree frogs have who basically squated on private property have more rights then tax payers and developers.

The state of NJ has more dedicated state forest land then NY and PA put together but yet we remain one of two states that do not have an ORV program.

After my registration runs out i will change it over to PA, I will not continue to pay this god forbidden state another cent of sales tax nor registration fees for a quad that is now essentailly a lawn ornament.

/rant over

anyway thanks for helping this old guy out.

No more free riding in PA until 5/23 :(

CJM
04-12-2011, 06:00 PM
OldGuyonaQuad, Id love to invite you but about 2 weeks ago something must have happened b/c I was going into the trail I park in and a cop in a cruiser (this a muddy, rutted out trail too) was coming right at me. itslike you tell one person and you wind up with 20 people they bring and so forth. I invited 1 person a few times, few times they brought a friend, one time they brought like 10 people!

My guess is he chased someone in but had to turn around or soemthing. In all the years I been going out I never seen a cop even get that far in, no less in a cruiser. No less even had a cop bother us. He claimed the owners of the pit were annoyed or something-but last I recall they dont care-so I dont know whats going on.

He let me and my buddy go, but of course he now will remember us and the trucks more than likely. I went back a week later and parked somewhere else-but it seems no where is safe these days.

NJ sucks, theres so many illegal trails they might as well open them up and let us go. If you have a dual sport and its reg/ins you can ride on any state land pretty much that a car would be allowed on (fireroads and the like) but not a quad.

NJ needs to do the following and they would actually make money-only issue is they make more impounding and chasing us down Id venture to guess.

1. Build those 3 parks, charge entry fees of 20/rider/day.
2. Make registration easy, I dont care who owned the quad before, its under whom evers ownership it is now and you should be able to register it like a homemade trailer
3. Mandatory helmet laws. I wear one, many dont. I feel its no big deal-they want revenue thats it. helmets 100 bucks so its not like its a cost thing for the rider.
4. SQUASH the sierra club and Tittel.

But I doubt it ever happens, we are one of the most corrupt states period and we dont have any money since wear almost bankrupt to build ORV parks.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Yea bro I'm right there with ya, I love living here but local govenrment has their hands deep in our pockets and the DEP have their heads in their asses. This ORV park has been in the works for over five years and the state stands to lose out on over 250k in federal funding if they don't get something done.

Sorry to hear your spot had been exposed. My brother told me when we bought our quads back in November to enjoy the free riding in the winter because he assumed it would be different come spring and sadly he was right.

G/L finding hassle free spots to ride and I will post in advance any day trips we run up to Pohopoca.

CJM
04-12-2011, 08:45 PM
It is indeed a real shame, but not much we can do. With our state in shambles they have bigger fish to fry so to speak. While I applaud the new governor for his budget cuts, he seems to have bigger stuff to deal with than a minority like ourselves.

The problem is all these people moved to areas that were previously more rural and not built up. These people moved from NYC mostly and view the burbs as the "country" and any noise or other whatever bothers them. Ill admit we moved from a more rural property in north jersey to a development in central-but we had no choice as the taxes there were insane (bureaucracy at work in that town made sure the town had ZERO industry and insane taxes). Had to move where dads job was too. I regret it everday b/c the guy behind me is one them idiots who loves to call the cops for anything and everything-thankfully he called so much they now ignore him :blah:

But in the end around here all these new housing developments sprang up and people complained. If anyone is familar-the englishtown raceway park is now under much scrutiny b/c some idiot developer did a mad dash and promoted all his homes during the winter-spring and summer came and the track opened and nwot hey have to shut down at certain times and hold certain drag races on certain days and times cause of complaints-dont people research where they are gonna live?

In the end tho, I love the riding here-specially by me. Its a mix of sand and woods and very nice since Im in the pine barrens. But the places are drying up and they are putting cops on quads, making cops stake us out-all for bs revenue-wonder how many get away with a DUI or something while they are busy messing with us?

deathman53
04-13-2011, 08:53 AM
that stuff about englishtown has been going around for atleast the last 10 years. Its not ONE developer, its several, over the years its got worse. It started in the late 80's, early 90's w/ the new houses on union hill rd(they had to sign waivers knowing raceway was really close and loud). In the late 90's and 2000's more homes started showing up, more started showing up on 527 and it has turned into a big issue w/ manalapan(tried to sue raceway park) and Old Bridge(where the place is actually located).
It isn't just atv's, the Enduro clubs are having huge problems getting their events on. I'm talking about enduro's and even dual sports of which alot of it is on wide trails and fire roads. At one not too long ago, there was cops radar trapped people going over 25 or so down dirt roads. In order to get anything done, dirtbike(mx and enduro) and atv guys/gals need to stop fighting amongst either other and join together to fight the bigger battle. Get these 5 or so parks, more harescrambles, easier to put on events and make registering them easier than it is now. Also, those whom are among those groups who go ripping down streets, no safety gear, very loud pipes and doing stupid things need to stop, they are only hurting themselves and EVERYBODY else.

There is another group now......New jersey trails lovers coalition. Its full of greens who have their own agenda and to make matters worse they are being taken seriously by the state. I don't understand.....we can destroy forest to build a shopping mall(that will likely be barren), but we can't take a destroyed sand pit(several in jackson and manchester are really good examples) to build a off-road park. HELLO, I would thing that the tree frogs and such live in the same area that the shopping mall will be.....well, not according to the greens, they only live where off-roads like to go.

Duceswild
04-13-2011, 09:26 AM
CJM, the spot you saw the cruiser in, is that the same spot we discussed? If it is....LMAO.......I TOLD YA!!
That is sad to hear thou... because I was planning a trip there in the near future based on your reports. Now it's not looking so good. However, there are back doors. Dont know how you made it in unscathed for so long, going right in the front door! I may have to reach out to a few contacts I still have there for parking.
The ORV parks Corzine signed for will never become reality in this state. Not only will the DEP stand in front of the legislation, but the communities selected opposed it as well. It's the same thing as the last bid for more correctional facilities, everyone agrees that we need them, however, the most popular answer given is "but not anywhere near where I live!" EVEN two of those got passed and will be built over the next 7 years. So when you think about it....We (ATV MX riders) are LOATHED more than the JAILS and the criminals they house here in the state of NJ.
Besides, we dont constitute enough of the population to make financially gainful statement as far as gov't is concerned. If we did, you can bet we'd have our own lobbyists standing out there in Trenton day after day until they were built. Simply put, we've been weighed, we've been measured, and we simply dont put up the kind of staggering financial numbers anyone takes notice of, and therefor, will never be recognized.
I would love to see a P & L statement from a Blue Diamond or one of the popular ATV parks in PA. Perhaps like everything else...it's all in the marketing.
CJM, you going to the Swap Meet in English town this weekend? What is it 15th thru the 17th?

CJM
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
It was just a fluke imho duces, I used to drive around there all the time when I was doing towing and NEVER seen a cop there or anywhere near it. yesit was the same entrance I always use, 10-15 mins later and I woulda never seen the cop. I have a few other spots to park-just the spot we were in was better than the rest. Shocks me really, cause this was the only cop Ive seen since I been going there for some time. hell, we passed 3 cops sitting at a firehouse only a few miles north of the spot-they had to see us with loaded down trucks and they didnt move.

The cops also lie like rugs, insane fines, impounds, and such-maybe if you arent registered and insured-Im fully setup, vehicle, trailer, atv all insured and reg'd! Even so, Id like to see them do more than stop me. Ive been stopped before-all I do is show them all my info and they cant do much. The security guards at the pits dont care, the owner doesnt care-the cops shouldnt either. Problem is the lawsuits. I know plenty that will go and hide and escape other ways should the cops see them, shame but its what ya gotta do.

I dont want to park at several of the peoples homes I know since they can be cited possibly and the neighbors might make a stink (doubtful but still) What we used to do was have someone drop us off, unload at some RR tracks and ride them in. Really wish I had a 16ft enclosed trailer just for that reason lol. its a shame we have to basically slink around like weasels but there isnt much we can do. Complaining hasnt worked, unlike PA NJ feels they make more revenue off fining us than making us pay for the parks and stuff they should have.

swap meet
Yea Im going to the swap meet this weekend. Meet starts at 7am till 6pm everyday. Ill be there with my buddy more than likely on friday afternoon (maybe), saturday all day, maybe sunday.. If your going, pm me your number and we can hang if you want.