PDA

View Full Version : new to mini atv....is this a good deal?

mac43rn
10-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Hello. I am new to the forum and new to mini atvs. My son is 8 and has been wanting an atv. I found a 2007 Honda TRX90EX. The atv was ridden by the owner's daughter and is in very good shape. He is selling it for $1500 and I am wandering if that is a good deal for a lightly used 2007 Honda TRX90 (electric start and all stock).

My son says he wants to race, and I may let him give it a try. That being said it will probably be used riding trials and on the farm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any upgrades that you would consider for this atv?

QUADROOKIE
10-13-2010, 10:00 PM
If he is 8 I'd suggest staying with a 50 or 70cc machine. If you are in the midwest I can make you a great deal on a 70.

mac43rn
10-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by QUADROOKIE
If he is 8 I'd suggest staying with a 50 or 70cc machine. If you are in the midwest I can make you a great deal on a 70.

shoot me an e-mail or pm. I am located in southern indiana. I am open to suggestions.

Logan #34's Dad
10-14-2010, 09:08 AM
TRUTH: That quad will be a slow turd. If your only going to ride trails it will be good. If your gonna race, this is not the one you want. It will cost you a fortune to make it competitive.
My son recently raced where 2 "Nationally Built" 125cc Hondas with good riders were in the gate drop before his. He caught and passed them both with-in 2 laps and beat them by 30 seconds - ALL ON HIS 2STROKE 70. Just my two cents.
The cost to make an aircooled 4stroke mini fast is outraguous and they are still slow. Then you'll have to buy suspension. $$$$

gistmarrs
10-14-2010, 09:40 AM
My 8 year old daughter has been riding her TRX90 for about a year and a half now. She would like to have something faster when we go to the desert, but I am going to make her wait a while. These are bullit proof bikes and will last just about forever.

However, when she races, she gets on her Cobra 50. That bike is much faster, more stable, safer at high speeds, but requires 10,000 x more maintenance (you could probably ride the honda for years without even changing the oil).

It's pretty expensive to have two bikes for each child, but really about the only way to go if you are going to ride around the ranch or desert and then race.

jake55
10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
i agree with #34's dad. i tried to make a 4 stroke 50 into a race quad. it just wont go fast, my rider would hold it wide open all the way around the track and would still get lapped. at a race we attended last year a kid on a 50 2 stroke was on the line against a stock honda 90, the 50 not only got the hole shot, but finished ahead of the 90 four stroke. i've also seen that #34 70cc race, WOW!

mcwilly
10-14-2010, 10:09 AM
We have an 07 TRX 90 and a DRR 50cc 2 stroke.
The DRR 50 walks off and leaves the Honda (straight line drag race)....even moreso on a MX track.
If you just plan to use the Honda for trails (like we do now) then it's a great quad. But if you have serious plans to race it, I'd look into some of the 2-stroke quads (DRR's, Apex, Cobra etc).

Ride1Rob
10-14-2010, 10:46 AM
If you build the lil thumpers THEY WILL compete and save you ALOT less money in maintnance in the long run. The Honda will cost quite a bit of money to setup for MX. Like said earlier if it's trail riding it's the way to go. There are things you can do to give it more umph. If you're going to race the bike most get the cvt's. But they are a headache to maintain once they're modded.

If you plan on racing and want to go with a Fourstroke I'd say go with the Pitster mini. You could run it stock and have the motor built and it'll run with ANY 2 stroke you throw at it ;) . You have to remember, it takes more skill and is harder to ride a shifter no matter if it's 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Our lil thumper pulls right next to National built 2 strokes at our local track. We lose out due to shifting and inexperience against some VERY GOOD riders.

Ride1Rob
10-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Just so you don't think I'm blowing smoke up ur tail ;) . Jam on his 4stroke mini vs LTR450, Raptor 250 Hybrid CRF250R, Blaster 240, (2) Raptor 250's and 300EX.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyysPDEMuE4

Coley'sdad#8
10-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Here's MY opinion:blah:
that hondie is about as rock solid bulletproof low maint as you are going to get period......
If you are going to ride trails and play bike it then that hondie will do it just fine, the suspension sucks on them stock but when I was a kid the three's didnt even have susp. and I turned out okay (I think:rolleyes: ) but they are as Dizi Arnez said "Spensive" to modify and the problem comes when you get 10k in the bike and then you dont want your kid to go "trail ride" it anymore and bring it back covered in weeds or mud (been there, seen it and got the t-shirt) which has now done away with the kids "fun" atv:grr: Soooo this is what we did, ya got play / farm bikes and then the full blown race bikes and they get ridden differently, racetrack or practice = race bikes , play riding = play bikes
The concept of the cvt's is good for the kidz but as you modify it cuts down on your ride time which takes away from the kidz "new toy" you bought them to ride:grr:

mac43rn
10-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by mcwilly
We have an 07 TRX 90 and a DRR 50cc 2 stroke.
The DRR 50 walks off and leaves the Honda (straight line drag race)....even moreso on a MX track.
If you just plan to use the Honda for trails (like we do now) then it's a great quad. But if you have serious plans to race it, I'd look into some of the 2-stroke quads (DRR's, Apex, Cobra etc).

I guess my main question is, is the $1500 price a good price. I priced a new one and it was at twice the price.

greenmachine70
10-14-2010, 01:50 PM
well you mentioned the word "race"
The deal is so so. I am seeing new 2009 leftovers for $2K at dealers leftover.
You dont want to race that trx is you are even remotely worried about $1500 being a good deal. It will cost you thousands to make it close to competitive. if you want a 4stroke that will be competitive, get the pitster for twice that price and you will have a reliable trail/farm & race quad that will compete and be a much more stable SAFE ride than that honda. my .02

Rob, you should put the holeshot against those national built 2fast kits he runs against. I was not a believer until this season when Rob built his 150 and it will beat down those 2fast kits with ease if the rider is experienced. Jam is the youngest rider in the class, 2 of those riders are teenagers.
If I had this season to do all over it would be on a pitster with robs engine in it racing the mod class.
I bust my butt before every race with maintenance, carb jetting, clutch rollers and springs while Rob is setting under the shade tree with his feet propped up relaxing waiting on the race to start.
Anyone who dont think the thumpers will thump a national built 2fast or even a full mod 118cc WRH motor, check his vids out or come to DCMX on a quad night. He has less money in the whole quad than his competition has in their engines.....LOL

airmobile101
10-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by mac43rn
I guess my main question is, is the $1500 price a good price. I priced a new one and it was at twice the price.
I think $1500.00 is a tad steep considering the way the economy is. I'll offer him/her $1200.00 for it.
As for racing and trail riding, that will work good for either situation.

skyeryder
10-14-2010, 03:48 PM
That's not a bad price, race wise it depends on what you want to do Indiana is mainly a xc state so that would be a great little quad for that, now if you want to get into mx look into the 2-strokers like others have mentioned. If your on the East side of the state call RC Motorsports(brooksville) if your on the west side you have Heath racing in (evansville area) both are great mini shops. Good luck maybe we'll see ya at a local track someday

Ride1Rob
10-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
well you mentioned the word "race"
Rob, you should put the holeshot against those national built 2fast kits he runs against. I was not a believer until this season when Rob built his 150 and it will beat down those 2fast kits with ease if the rider is experienced. Jam is the youngest rider in the class, 2 of those riders are teenagers.

;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwo55SF06UA

lem dad
10-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Been on both sides the honda is the most dependable thing out there for race it will take time and money but the two strokes are a money pit also we raced 4 strokes with good luck and little repair I have watched drr and apex oweners work on there bikes at races while I watched races remember when racin a quad it is nothing but a money game

greenmachine70
10-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by lem dad
Been on both sides the honda is the most dependable thing out there for race it will take time and money but the two strokes are a money pit also we raced 4 strokes with good luck and little repair I have watched drr and apex oweners work on there bikes at races while I watched races remember when racin a quad it is nothing but a money game
You got that right. i am one of those DRR owners, not only always tinkering, but on lap 3 you start praying everything holds together without blowing up for the last 2 laps. Then before next race you wonder is this the time it will blow a hole thru the piston or not......
You are also right that the trx90 is bullet proof, but to make it raceworthy and compete with a DRR with a good port job and clutch tuning, you would spend at least $5k minimum.
What Rob is pointing out is the Pitster is ready to race at the regular mini level out of the box and with a few hundred total dollars it will out run 2fast kits.
Then you could go the atv4play rout and make it a hybrid to compete with the jb mods for still a lot less money....especially if you can do your own machine work. I mean you can pickup a CR85 engine for a few hundred and a good set of used elkas for a few hundred make your own gussets and go race.

lem dad
10-15-2010, 06:16 PM
If I was going to biuld another mini I would go with the yamaha 125 main reason parts will be alot easyer to get parts for I have been through the having to find parts on internet for other brands I have yamaha dealers close

mac43rn
10-16-2010, 01:25 AM
You got that right. i am one of those DRR owners, not only always tinkering, but on lap 3 you start praying everything holds together without blowing up for the last 2 laps. Then before next race you wonder is this the time it will blow a hole thru the piston or not......
You are also right that the trx90 is bullet proof, but to make it raceworthy and compete with a DRR with a good port job and clutch tuning, you would spend at least $5k minimum.
What Rob is pointing out is the Pitster is ready to race at the regular mini level out of the box and with a few hundred total dollars it will out run 2fast kits.
Then you could go the atv4play rout and make it a hybrid to compete with the jb mods for still a lot less money....especially if you can do your own machine work. I mean you can pickup a CR85 engine for a few hundred and a good set of used elkas for a few hundred make your own gussets and go race.

The pitster pro is looking more and more attractive. I think it fit a majority of our needs.

thequadfather+2
10-17-2010, 08:18 AM

I dont know what bad luck others are having but we raced a race in Tennessee, parked the quads in the trailer when they came off the track. Two weeks later we went to another race and I had not even pulled the quads out of the trailer. We unloaded and practiced all day. Loaded up the quads, went home and came back to the track the next morning for another day of racing. When we unloaded I changed the air filter and that was it.... The 70 hasnt had a torque spring since before Lorettas and the 90 has had the torque spring changed once since Lorettas. We dont hold our breath to see if they make it around the track. We kicked a chain off at Lorettas on our Malossi 90 but outside that we normally dont have problems.

Our 70 has a stage 6 cylinder, pipe, shocks, reed spacer, carb, CDI, axle, frame saver and gussett kit...Thats it. The stage 6 cylinder was put on over a year ago and has never been apart since, still running the same ring, piston ect. Cranks with a couple kicks and still has 130 psi compression. No tranny breaks, no belts, no water pump failures.....nothing.

When we begin arena cross the quads will not come out of the trailer between races on most weeks, we race almost every single weekend. Every quad has it's issue, we race with a bunch of 4 strokes as well and they are wrenching just like everyone else.

Maybe we are just lucky, knock on wood. We dont run our quads on the ragged edge of power/RPM's, maybe we give up the hole shot but we were close to the front on all our nationals on the 90. It has the power to compete anywhere we go but isnt the most powerful one everywhere we go. We were looking for reliability and we found a great combo, we're satisfied.

I enjoy working with the CVT/2-stroke, now that I have figured out most of it and dont have to call Marc Smith every day. Some things will never change and jetting the 2-stroke will always be a challenge for me. I have settled on running a little fat and not worrying about it as much...I could certainly do better (performance wise) by jetting it just right but I choose to be a little conservative.

Seriously, If I hated our DRR's that bad I would sell them and buy ATV Fourplay's fully tricked out pitster but right now I am just not having any excessive problems.

We did buy a single speed cobra at loretta's and we plan on building it this winter. We are going to let our 7 year old ride the 50 senior class and we are converting his 70 back to a 50 mod for the 50 cvt class as well. The Cobra has it's issues as well...finding that out pretty quickly. Ask Travis Rimmer I believe he is trying to get his figured out as well. All bikes have their problems and the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence...Trust me it may look that way but it's just grass over there too...:D

I watch all Rob's videos, love 'em. It does not suprise me that a well built 150 4-stroke will beat a 90cc 2 stroke, especially a cvt machine. The 90 mod class was dominated by 2-strokes this year in the nationals. Winning the 90 mod and 90 production class. Brocato (2nd) had terrible luck with their 4 stroke this year and that probably cost them the championship. He doesnt ride junk either, scott cain stuff. Just bad luck this year. Each brand has their own issues.

When you get it right where you want it things will be much better.

greenmachine70
10-17-2010, 09:30 AM
QF2,
you are not running a "stock Appearing" quad either. The italian motors are more reliable than the taiwanese motors the quads come with. Also this guy is asking if $1500 is a good price on a quad, it appears he dont want to spend $5-$8k on a 2stroke to get that reliability.
The 2fast bikes havent broke down all season. but to get the power it takes to win our stock class, you WILL push your motor to the edge of reliability or you will be in the back of the pack.
When your rider reaches 100lbs you will be changing those springs more often too, trust me.

greenmachine70
10-17-2010, 09:32 AM
wow has this thread taken a turn......lol;)

thequadfather+2
10-17-2010, 10:30 AM
"well you mentioned the word "race"
Rob, you should put the holeshot against those national built 2fast kits he runs against. I was not a believer until this season when Rob built his 150 and it will beat down those 2fast kits with ease if the rider is experienced. Jam is the youngest rider in the class, 2 of those riders are teenagers."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You got that right. i am one of those DRR owners, not only always tinkering, but on lap 3 you start praying everything holds together without blowing up for the last 2 laps. Then before next race you wonder is this the time it will blow a hole thru the piston or not......
You are also right that the trx90 is bullet proof,"
__________________________________________________ __

Yes you are right this thread did take a turn....several posts ago.:confused:

My rider is 100 pounds with gear right now. The issue of torque spring lasting longer is due to less heat and RPM's. We run the PCS pipe for that very reason and utilize a slightly lower stall, it's vented well, aligned correctly ect. We are not ported and I put the kit on myself straight out of the box so I dont have the 5K-8K in the motor someone mentioned earlier, closer to the 1500 dollar total for everything. Often things are blown out of context and my effort here is to point out that we dont have issues of praying the quad makes it three laps.

It's all relative actually. Each bike has its own issues. It takes a few dollars and a good rider to be up front no matter what you ride. The thread really turned into the bigger picture from what he was aking, leaving it stock? ridding in the yard or racing? Then it turned into, spending money on mods and who's got the fastest hole shot, whos wrenching and who aint, who's spending more money than who. I just wanted to point out that some DRR/Apex quads can finish the race, havent spent 5k-8k on the motor and dont go crazy wrenching between races.

Any quad that you start to stretch the rubber band on will have problems. From stock to built from 2-stroke to 4-stroke. Heck, 2 fast kits were breaking cranks at the nats earlier in the year but even those motors were stretched.

Keeping with the original topic I dont think $1,500 on the intial investment is a bad idea. The real question is how far do you want to go with the quad? If it's going to be built to race then no it's not a good idea, find one built and buy it instead. If you like 2-strokes by one , if not, buy a 4-stroke. We have had both. I like the Pitster over the Honda.

Good day

Ride1Rob
10-17-2010, 12:44 PM
It was stated earlier that the 4 strokes wouldn't compete. That was my only reason for posting the holeshots. I also think $1500 is a very good price for the Honda. We chose to stay with the 4stroke because it's less maintnance, easier on the pocket, and Jam made HIS final decision of keeping his Typhoon after riding a National built Drr70 during practice in February or March of 09. He was big on getting a Drr because he wanted to be like all the other kids he was racing against until after that test ride. That was the last time he's ever thought about kicking his leg over a non shifting bike and he has never looked back ever since. You really can't go wrong with Drr, Apex, Pitster, Raptor or a Typhoon. It's all comes down to money and what headaches you're willing to deal with. Every bike I listed will compete and will win with the right rider.

thequadfather+2
10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
yep, I know what you mean. We bought a Cobra at Lorettas and Jordan begged me not to put him on it. Said he was used to his DRR and loves it, he wont ride anything else. So I ended up putting my 7 year old on it, he'll ride anything.

Rob, you are right. I think rider comfort is the first step to the front of the pack. Finding the right quad to match your rider is often over-looked.

xcracer01
10-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Funny stuff its all about how hard you have to push your stuff like said before. We run xc races on a 50 drr and never had any problems for 3 years with the same bike. one broken belt and one time the water was a little to deep to cross. LOL. I have only installed two belts and 4 springs in that time. The Hondas are great and so are the plisters . But they all break. I have seen pilsters fall apart over a 8 race season and 600K hondas get passed by walmart quads with good riders. But to the main question that is not a good deal I wold only go 1000k. O and 2-stoke carbs stink to jet.