View Full Version : LTR 450 or KFX 450r

dr qwerty
10-13-2010, 09:45 PM
This should be a non biased place to get people's opionons

Which one is a better machine and why?

I dont want a honda 450...My friends have em and it takes away from compettion

honda400ex2003
10-13-2010, 09:49 PM
alright, i guess ill throw it out there for my .02 even though it is in the wrong section. you stated this would be unbiased so i am going to give just that. after not knowing a whole lot about either one, just some of the more common things i think the ltr would be a better choice for mx and the kfx would be better for a gncc style of riding. that would be my basis, trails or track, either one there. lol sorry not much help, ill buy honda or can am. lol steve

finsteratv
10-13-2010, 10:50 PM
i would go with the suzuki but they are a little more of an mx based bike. ive only had problems with kawasaki.

-TheDude-
10-14-2010, 05:42 AM
IMO if you plan on doing mods to the bikes it doesnt mater which one you get. you can build either of the two to suite your needs wether it be mx or xc. As far as the bikes go stock the kfx is built more for the woods, it has reverse and much more power on the low end, i have friends that race xc and mx with the kfx and they love it for both styles of riding. so id say if your not gonna see the light and get a honda id go with the kfx. If you havnt looked at the yfz maybe you should that would be my second choice behind honda

IMSROLL450R
10-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Agree 100%

UOTE]Originally posted by -TheDude-
IMO if you plan on doing mods to the bikes it doesnt mater which one you get. you can build either of the two to suite your needs wether it be mx or xc. As far as the bikes go stock the kfx is built more for the woods, it has reverse and much more power on the low end, i have friends that race xc and mx with the kfx and they love it for both styles of riding. so id say if your not gonna see the light and get a honda id go with the kfx. If you havnt looked at the yfz maybe you should that would be my second choice behind honda [/QUOTE]

Ian400ex
10-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I personally like the LTR450 more but I'm also more of a Suzuki guy. There's a few videos on it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCfHErjh-x4

I'm sure there's several just like it for the KFX450. As someone posted previously, if you are gonna mod it the second you get it (engine mod not just uni/k&n), you can make it the way you want it and it matters a little less which one you get.

killer400ex
10-14-2010, 03:03 PM
well i think a ktm would be second on my list after a honda but the suzuki is a great quad in my opinion, it has a decent efi system that keeps you at peak air/fuel ratios all the time, you can buy chips that plug into the efi moduel and reprogram for more power too which gets rid of the hasstle of taking the carb out to re-jet and tune which is the main thing i hate at the moment, and i think the suzuki has a solid/light frame and suspension over the kfx, idk im not trying to be biased but like others ive only had problems with kawi-suck-i, but you can customize just about any quad to be exactly the way you want it to be especially with the aftermarket parts being soo available in just about every department

Ian400ex
10-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by killer400ex
and i think the suzuki has a solid/light frame and suspension over the kfx
"Frame type Aluminum double cradle, racing type"
- http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/kfx450.php

They will be so similar when it comes to the frame, both are aluminum.

killer400ex
10-14-2010, 07:54 PM
yeah i guess, but the suspension is alil more tunable for different racing setups, idk im just sayin that i see alot more people in all types of racing using the ltr over the kfx, the kfx might be a good quad but it just dosnt live up to the standards of the ltr imo. im not trying to talk down the kfx because it probly is a fun all around quad but i think the suzuki is bred more for serious racing

ish416
10-14-2010, 09:48 PM
As the owner of an 08 KFX450, I have not had a single issue with it in the 3 years I have owned it. It is a great quad especially when uncorked. The quad in stock form is designed more towards general riding/woods compared to an LTR450 which is strictly MX.

If you are wanting to strictly race MX on a budget, the LTR450 is your quad. If you want a general purpose quad, the KFX450 is a great choice. Also, don't narrow your options between these two. The YFZ's are great quads if you are small enough to fit on them. The Polaris 450MXR is also something to consider.

If you plan on heavily modifying the quad, then it does not matter, get whatever you feel is the best deal.

bkelley
10-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Wait for the new Honda 450.

MtnEX
10-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by bkelley
Wait for the new Honda 450.

We need one of those smiley's that rolls around kicking and laughing... :D

As for me... I'm not brand loyal... I'm a quad lover!

I can find something to like about all of them.

And I can find something to nitpick about all of them.

I agree with everyone else... I think it depends on your preference, what you are going to do with it... and how much you will customize it for your application.

Myself, I wanted to be able to go my own pace picking and choosing my mods, while still having my ride be useful to me.... I also really wanted reverse, and really wanted a great chassis I could just keep and beat for years to come.

So as much as I wanted just a simple kickstart 450R... I wanted a better chassis and reverse more.

You have to be the one to decide. And if it is a TRX450 you want... so what if your buddies already have one? If that is the best fit for you... well you don't want to envy them while you ride something different.

Muzzgit
10-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Go for the most common quad - probably the Yamaha or Suzuki - there are always more after market parts available, and just as importantly there will be more second hand parts available too.

f4iracer
10-15-2010, 07:00 AM
if you get an ltr just be ready to have your valves adjusted like 5 times.

Any ltr people out there have a problem with the stock valves needing to be shimmed a buttload?

09RappySe
10-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by f4iracer
if you get an ltr just be ready to have your valves adjusted like 5 times.

Any ltr people out there have a problem with the stock valves needing to be shimmed a buttload?

Yes, it was due to excessive dirt intake through the K&N filter which toasted the intake valves...A problem I will not have again as I installed stainless valves this time.

killer400ex
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 09RappySe
Yes, it was due to excessive dirt intake through the K&N filter which toasted the intake valves...A problem I will not have again as I installed stainless valves this time.

which is why i love how easy it is to adjust the valves on my ex :D
like i said im sure they all have there ups and downs, i havnt seen a perfect stock quad yet that suits my riding all around but imo the suz had the best handling, im not trying to bash the kfx at all just giving my two cents, you can buy whichever one you want just throwing some info that ive seen first hand, and also stay away from polaris, im not a big fan of their quads at all, there the hardest atv to keep out of a shop and the hardest to fix from my experience, maybe they are getting better and i hope so because im tired of busting my knuckles and ordering new parts for my customers because of them

MtnEX
10-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 09RappySe

How about just dumping the K&N too???

This way you quit sucking stuff through your head and into your cylinder.

MtnEX
10-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by killer400ex
which is why i love how easy it is to adjust the valves on my ex :D
like i said im sure they all have there ups and downs, i havnt seen a perfect stock quad yet that suits my riding all around but imo the suz had the best handling, im not trying to bash the kfx at all just giving my two cents, you can buy whichever one you want just throwing some info that ive seen first hand, and also stay away from polaris, im not a big fan of their quads at all, there the hardest atv to keep out of a shop and the hardest to fix from my experience, maybe they are getting better and i hope so because im tired of busting my knuckles and ordering new parts for my customers because of them

The KTM motor has similar easy valve adjustment (sohc/XC engine).

jimmyjam400ex
10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
i would go with the ktm its the best outta the new 450s id really like to get the 525 but i dont race or anything and ktms motors last forever

killer400ex
10-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jimmyjam400ex
i would go with the ktm its the best outta the new 450s id really like to get the 525 but i dont race or anything and ktms motors last forever

hell yess which is why i have ktm at the top of my list next to honda, if you want a quad with the most power, easiest tune-ability, best suspension and the hottest looks n you dont mind coughing up some big bucks i would deff go with a ktm 450 or 525 they are rated one of the best out there for everything

09RappySe
10-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
How about just dumping the K&N too???

This way you quit sucking stuff through your head and into your cylinder.

Actually I just added a foam wrap to the K&N and it stopped just about all of it. so its all good now

MtnEX
10-15-2010, 03:52 PM
I agree the KTM is a great machine.... I REEEEALY like the 525XC... and I really wanted one bad!!!!

But in the end I just could not justify the price. I was outside the weight range the shocks were set up for and would have had to redo that anyways....

I got an offer on the KFX450R of $4,999 and just could not justify spending twice as much...

It's a real nice machine though...

Muzzgit
10-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Talk to some of the engine builders before you buy a KTM 525. They throw big ends.

MtnEX
10-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Muzzgit
Talk to some of the engine builders before you buy a KTM 525. They throw big ends.

Not reliable on the 450 or 525 is what I have been hearing also....

Sucks because I do really like the 525 motor.
Probably won't ever buy one.

Muzzgit
10-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Not reliable on the 450 or 525 is what I have been hearing also....

Sucks because I do really like the 525 motor.
Probably won't ever buy one.

Yeah it is a bummer, second hand KTM 525 would represent excellent value if they weren't prone to engine failure.

They have great suspension and ergo's and would be an excellent dunes quad. My mechanic told me early on and keeps reminding me about how many times his customers with KTM spend heaps on engine repairs while the Yammies and Zooks just keep going.

The IRS KTM are a maintenance nightmare.

If there was a way to fix the 525 with aftermarket parts we'd all be riding one.

Muzzgit
10-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey dude, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!!!

When you say you don't want a Honda 450R because it would take away from competition because your mates have them, I recon it would hot things up.

If you all have the same or similar bike then it's down to who's the better rider!