PDA

View Full Version : Cams or power commander?

jsracing2
10-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Im looking for a little more power. My configuration now is Stock motor, full yosh rs5, cherry bomb, and pro design pro flow foam filter. What should I buy first power comander or cams? Really my question is how good will it run with cams, I know I should get the pc first, but thinking the cams may help more for the time being. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Merl991
10-14-2010, 06:05 AM
pc for sure. get the most out of what you have first, then upgrade.

bigbad400
10-14-2010, 09:12 AM
you wont get much more out of it with cams if you dont do the pc first anyhow, you will probably run so lean youll fry your piston in a matter of min if you do cams without the pc. the cry bomb is made for a pipe and air filter and your going to try and take it way too far.

Stiles86
10-14-2010, 12:22 PM
what he ^^ said... if you do cams you need to buy a tuner or your wasting your money, and if and when you buy cams only change the intake zuki has a good exhaust cam already in it

Jim417mx
10-14-2010, 01:13 PM
^^ what those guys said. I've been there, done that. I had a yoshi with intake and cherry bomb and it ran fine... put a 13:1 with a ATP head with cams and porting, test rode it before I bought the tuner.. wouldnt even go past 1/4 throttle before breaking up from not being tuned right. And my header started glowing 15 seconds after a cold start-up... shows how lean it can run without a tuner. So buy a tuner first for sure.

jsracing2
10-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone! Very helpful info. I will be investing in a pc!

tbru23
10-18-2010, 10:40 AM
def cams. i have full sparks, uni filter, cherry bomb, and yoahi cams.. my motor pull hard.. def do the cam mod first

bigbad400
10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by tbru23
def cams. i have full sparks, uni filter, cherry bomb, and yoahi cams.. my motor pull hard.. def do the cam mod first

just remember you read 4 replys of people with more than a little experience, and one from a guy who said to do the opposite, dont chance it dude. use common sense and get the programmer first. its a fuel injected motor.

tbru23
10-20-2010, 01:10 PM
do what you want, all im saying is people with alot more work then me have ridden my quad, and they even tell me that it has more power then their quad. plus the guy i bough it off of tried a pc and he said he felt more power with the crbm

bigbad400
10-20-2010, 01:25 PM
its more about making your motor run properly. chances are if you only have a chery bomb the reason it runs so strong is because its lean. check your spark plug, bet its white. a programmer is gonna allow all the motor mods you can do without making anything run lean. engines always run best right befor they blow up.... remember that. nobody said yours dont have more power... but did you stop to think why?

Stiles86
10-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I tried to run a cb with cams.piston etc to see if it would work and it wouldn't stay running nor go over 4k rpm with out dying out...... ill sell u my spare pc3 for 50 bucks plus shipping

tbru23
10-21-2010, 01:23 PM
okay well obviously my motors running properly if i have 35 hrs since the cam mod, and it still runs a strong as ever. and hasnt blown up. and if its lean it would cut out and break up. not gain power.

Merl991
10-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Stiles86
ill sell u my spare pc3 for 50 bucks plus shipping

if he doesn't buy it.. i will take it.

Stiles86
10-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Both of u give me ur number so I can text ya. Pm it to me

jsracing2
10-21-2010, 06:31 PM
I've sent 2 pm's. Very interested, just give me a call

bigbad400
10-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by tbru23
okay well obviously my motors running properly if i have 35 hrs since the cam mod, and it still runs a strong as ever. and hasnt blown up. and if its lean it would cut out and break up. not gain power.

not 100% true and not every motor is the same. your altitude could affect it, your air filter could affect it. on a 2 stroke motor if you run lean the engine hangs if your only slightly lean, some people just turn the idle down and figure they fixed it, but its working on burning a hole in the piston. im not saying yours is for sure lean im just saying the wise engine builder would have perfect fuel ratios and not even want to risk it. have you actually looked at your spark plug? put a new one in and run for an hour and check your plug. this will give you a general idea of the fuel ratio, tan is good, white is lean black is rich. like i said this is not a point to try arguing about this is a point to think about the reliability of your machine not how much power you can get out of it. yours could be perfect the way it is, but that dont mean his will be. yoshimura themselfs say to only use the cherry bomb with a pipe and filter, anything else you need to buy the fuel programmer.

Stiles86
10-22-2010, 04:32 PM
if i didnt answere ur pm's about the pc3 its because i had a ton ef them in my box.... someone came and got it today thanks!

Stiles86
10-22-2010, 04:33 PM
muffs motorsports is selling a couple of used ones if any of u are interested

Hanes15
10-27-2010, 10:40 PM
You do need a programmer first especially if your running that intake. It is importnant to have it tunned correctly and it will run a lot stronger. Then I would go to running a intake cam. I have a high comp piston, intake and exhaust cam, and a pro design intake and my quad pulls hard. Couldnt be happier.